M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Steering wheel vibration after tire change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Steering wheel vibration after tire change

Yesterday I had winter tires installed (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 255/50/19) on OEM 19" wheels. Now I get random vibrations in the steering wheel at 100-120kph. By random I mean they're there for five-ten minutes, and then disappear for a while (at the same speeds), only to come back again. When they're there, the steering wheel vibrates quite a lot.

What the heck could this be?

Unbalanced wheels?
Bad tires?
Wheel bushings?

To make matters worse, I'm in Vancouver (Canada), and had the tires installed by a shop in the US (all in, $400 cheaper than in Canada), so it's an hour drive each way for me, and I can't just pop by the shop a couple times until they sort it out. If I need to re-balance, I'll likely have it done here at my expense.

Anyways, any recommendations?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 AM

2014 mazda 3
vibration after install

Hey. Glad I found a very recent post regarding the exact same thing I just experienced.
I just had mine installed this past weekend at a US garage. I live in Ontario, Canada myself.
On the way home I'm experiencing this very subtle vibration at the 100km/hr plus range.
It's not terrible but noticable. I was thinking the same as you about the balancing. Paying to get it checked out, because it's 2.5hrs away for me to go back to the same garage. I thought I was getting the best winter tire with the R2's....
Anyhow I have a 2014 mazda 3...so I know it shouldn't be anything mechanically worn on my car...I've only had it for not even 3 months.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do...after reading your post I'm thinking more that it's the tires.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:03 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by gettmad
Hey. Glad I found a very recent post regarding the exact same thing I just experienced.
I just had mine installed this past weekend at a US garage. I live in Ontario, Canada myself.
On the way home I'm experiencing this very subtle vibration at the 100km/hr plus range.
It's not terrible but noticable. I was thinking the same as you about the balancing. Paying to get it checked out, because it's 2.5hrs away for me to go back to the same garage. I thought I was getting the best winter tire with the R2's....
Anyhow I have a 2014 mazda 3...so I know it shouldn't be anything mechanically worn on my car...I've only had it for not even 3 months.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do...after reading your post I'm thinking more that it's the tires.
Heck of a timing coincidence for the two of us. I sure hope it's not "normal" for these tires! If you do get the wheels re-balanced, please post up the results. I'll do the same.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM

2014 mazda 3
vibration with new nokian tires

Hey. Glad to see you posted back. I know I can't go back right now to the garage. Thinking about giving them a call to see what they say. I wonder if it's a bad batch of tires...Anyhow, if i decide to do something or find a resolution, I will definitely post back here. Please do the same.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 AM

2006 ML350
I called the shop that did the install and they suggested coming back for a re-balance. Might take them up on it later in the week - will see.

In the meantime I did more driving around and realized that the vibration is not limited to the steering wheel. The gas pedal and seat also vibrate quite a bit.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 AM

2014 mazda 3
vibration

Last night we were out on the highway....I was a passenger for a change, and noticed the same....it is intermittent.....and the seat shakes as well. Hopefully tonight I'll take a check to see if maybe one of the balancing weights came off....I know I can't live with it and will have to do something about it soon....will post...
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Guys .... It looks like both of you used the same shop for changing tires. Good luck with the oncoming winter.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:00 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Guys .... It looks like both of you used the same shop for changing tires. Good luck with the oncoming winter.
Hah, not likely. I'm in Vancouver and used Discount Tire in Bellingham. gettmad is somewhere in Ontario
Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
I had it happen to me too. I used to swap tires as the season changed. For me it was not the tires, it was the balancing.

One of the weights they used fell off because of bad adhesion. This can be caused by a number or reasons. Bad weight tape, dirt on the rim, or just bad luck.

Go back to your shop and explain whats happening and at what speed it gets really bad at.
I had my tires swapped by the dealer and they rebalanced them for free. It can happen and is a quick fix if it's a rebalancing issue. Some shops do a better job at it than others, so it's a hit or miss.

Good luck to you guys!

Last edited by SunnyT; 11-11-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo... Sorry
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM

2014 mazda 3
Originally Posted by SunnyT
I had it happen to me too. I used to swap tires as the season changed. For me it was not the tires, it was the balancing.

One of the weights they used fell off because of bad adhesion. This can be caused by a number or reasons. Bad weight tape, dirt on the rim, or just bad luck.

Go back to your shop and explain whats happening and at what speed it gets really bad at.
I had my tires swapped by the dealer and they rebalanced them for free. It can happen and is a quick fix if it's a rebalancing issue. Some shops do a better job at it than others, so it's a hit or miss.

Good luck to you guys!
Thanks...I'll be re-balancing then. I'll post back for the outcome.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM

2014 mazda 3
weight came off

Took a look at the car in the daylight the other day...3 have balancing weights and 1 doesn't....Saturday i'm going to have them take off that wheel...balance it...then take it for a test drive. Just seems odd that 3 would need a weight and one didn't...will post back after.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 AM

2014 mazda 3
update

Went to the dealer yesterday..I was being cheap and had them just check the tire with the missing weight....They did...it was out of balance, but the vibration is still there. So this week i'm going back to have the other 3 done. Apparently the dealer asked who did the balancing because they used the wrong type of weights and said that they would fall off probably over time. Anyhow, will post back with the results.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by gettmad
Went to the dealer yesterday..I was being cheap and had them just check the tire with the missing weight....They did...it was out of balance, but the vibration is still there. So this week i'm going back to have the other 3 done. Apparently the dealer asked who did the balancing because they used the wrong type of weights and said that they would fall off probably over time. Anyhow, will post back with the results.
Did you get them all rebalanced yet?

I've just set up an appointment for next Tuesday to have mine rebalanced. Hope that does the trick.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 AM

2014 mazda 3
Soon

Hopefully this week.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:12 PM

2006 ML350
Got all my wheels balanced at KalTire - no more vibrations. They said all wheels were way out of balance. The kids at Discount Tire must have done a number on them...
Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 PM

2014 mazda 3
fixed

Hey, thanks for the reply. My wife just had the other 3 done today. Same as you, it's all good now....what a pain. Americans don't apparently know how to balance tires...or shouldn't let kids that don't know what they're doing mount tires.