M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 Broken Glow Plug Tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ML320 CDI W164 2006
W164 Broken Glow Plug Tip

Hi,

Was replacing my faulty glow plugs. Used Kroil a few times to ensure that the plugs were not not seized in. With the engine warm the first plug came straight out but with 10mm of the tip missing. I hand cranked a long drill bit to clean out any gunk in the cavity but got nothing. As the extracted plug was clean I presumed that the broken tip had disintegrated and was long gone.

On installing the new plug and starting the engine I get a loud clicking sound. I am presuming that this is the broken tip that has fallen into the cylinder head.

Have not run the engine except for a few seconds.

Any help, tips, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails W164 Broken Glow Plug Tip-broken-plug.jpg  
Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211, w221, w220, e46
I've seen this happen before on a gasoline Mercedes. Honestly, unless there is a super vacuum out there for this job or you can take the heads off. Your best bet might be to start it and get the RPM's high up, like rev to 3.5-4k. Hopefully the broken tip will just exit through one of the exhaust valves. Don't risk it based on my word tho, I just know someone who did this once and they got lucky.

Good luck, there might be some cylinder scoring tho
Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 MB ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by AMG X
I've seen this happen before on a gasoline Mercedes. Honestly, unless there is a super vacuum out there for this job or you can take the heads off. Your best bet might be to start it and get the RPM's high up, like rev to 3.5-4k. Hopefully the broken tip will just exit through one of the exhaust valves. Don't risk it based on my word tho, I just know someone who did this once and they got lucky.

Good luck, there might be some cylinder scoring tho
I was thinking this..... but then there will possibly be the disintegrated turbo wheel!!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 AM

ML320 CDI W164 2006
Was thinking of ideas and am a complete novice....

If I take the glow plug off and take the injector nozzle out then put some high pressure air through the glow plug hole would this help get the bit out of the nozzle hole ?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Some ideas:

Get one of those Home Depot inspection cameras with the flexible tip. Stick it in and see if you can see the tip sitting on the piston head or not

Get a shop vac as strong as you can find. Get a funnel and stick it in glow plug hole. Put shop vac on wide side of funnel. You'll need to find a funnel with the largest tip you can so it doesn't prevent the tip from coming out the hole. Consider getting a cheap set of assorted sizes and cut down the tip to 1/2" long or less. You just really need the cone part as an adapter to hold the shop vac onto. Hope this makes sense

Is the tip magnetic? Use one of those magnetic parts retreival tools to get it out.

I wouldn't run the engine with that tip in there. I would think (even due to the cost) it is safer to take the head off and remove it, than to damage something. It could jam up a valve, score cylinders, jam between piston and sidewall and mess up a ring, and lots of other bad things. It won't go away on its own!

Mechanics have something that is called a borescope that they can look inside engines with. If all of the above fails, tow it to a local shop and have them take a look. Sometimes they can do amazing work on stuff like this.

In any case I'd avoid running it any more at all, untill you get the part out.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Oh brother. Guess which is cheaper -- taking the head off to get the tip out, or replacing the engine...

BHA's ideas are spot-on. There are plenty of ways to take care of this issue without risking ruining the engine.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 PM

ML320 CDI W164 2006
Guys I had the engine running for around 3 seconds. What do you reckon is the worst case scenario of damage that I can expect due to the broken glow plug tip sitting on top of the piston?

Been to a workshop and they are painting a real horror story for me. Cant afford to get diddled on this one.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by andrewpaul
Guys I had the engine running for around 3 seconds. What do you reckon is the worst case scenario of damage that I can expect due to the broken glow plug tip sitting on top of the piston?

Been to a workshop and they are painting a real horror story for me. Cant afford to get diddled on this one.

Thanks.
Buddy, this is a classic salivation exercise for the mechanic. The mechanic gets a car which the customer says he ran for 3 seconds with a known piece of metal inside the engine. How would you react? He's seeing his next vacation here if he plays it right.

Your best bet is to be INFORMED. Remove as many of the unknowns before agreeing to any work. Short of opening the engine, the recommendation of having someone OTHER than this mechanic use a borescope to look inside the cylinder where the piece of the glow plug fell into is a dead-on suggestion. It is entirely possible that the piece is still in there, and can possibly be retrieved without opening it up.

However, keep in mind that even if you can do this, you will still have to deal with the unknowns -- you may have damaged something else in there, like a ring, or scored the cylinder, or damaged a valved, and you may wind up paying for the mistake anyway. The borescope inspection may or may not reveal these things. You can bet you now have Murphy's undivided attention.

I'd say you are in the process of learning what could be an expensive lesson, but there are ways to mitigate this if you are smart about it and don't jump to conclusions. Sorry I don't have more positive things to say, but this is what comes to mind. Good luck, I hope everything works out for ya.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
Worse case scenario? Broken valves, scored cylinder, damaged piston, damaged piston ring - in other words, thousands of dollars in damage.