M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Oil Cooler leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320, 2004 BMW 540/6 sp., BMW R1200Rt motorcycle, Harley-Davidson Softtail Deuce, 1998 Hewes f
Oil Cooler leak

I have a 2008 ML320, 130,000 miles. A sudden oil leak showed up, and it leaked about a quart per mile before i got it home. The leak was coming from the block drain hole, down low, driver's side. The dreaded Oil Cooler Leak! It's apart now, and it has the "old" orange seals - hard as rocks. I suspected, from the volume flow of the leak, that the oil cooler itself was leaking, but I can't find any evidence of that. Don't want to buy a new cooler if I don't have to.

Does anyone know of an 'oil cooler leak' situation, where it was actually the cooler that was leaking? I'm looking for actual knowledge, not a situation where the dealer replaced the cooler, 'just to be sure,' while he was in there. (Cheap insurance, for him, as it was on the customer's nickel.)

Brucerman, in Florida
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by brucerman
I have a 2008 ML320, 130,000 miles. A sudden oil leak showed up, and it leaked about a quart per mile before i got it home. The leak was coming from the block drain hole, down low, driver's side. The dreaded Oil Cooler Leak! It's apart now, and it has the "old" orange seals - hard as rocks. I suspected, from the volume flow of the leak, that the oil cooler itself was leaking, but I can't find any evidence of that. Don't want to buy a new cooler if I don't have to.

Does anyone know of an 'oil cooler leak' situation, where it was actually the cooler that was leaking? I'm looking for actual knowledge, not a situation where the dealer replaced the cooler, 'just to be sure,' while he was in there. (Cheap insurance, for him, as it was on the customer's nickel.)

Brucerman, in Florida
Is your ride a W164 or W163? If the latter, you might have better luck in the W163 forum. If it's an ML320CDI, look here: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...placement.html
Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320, 2004 BMW 540/6 sp., BMW R1200Rt motorcycle, Harley-Davidson Softtail Deuce, 1998 Hewes f
flybd5, thank you for the reply. Mine is a W164 ML320CDI. I was already very well aware of Brandon's thread; lots of good information in there.

I have the oil cooler out, and cleaned up. It's made of multiple aluminum plates, probably with channels machined into them, all brazed together, so the water goes between half the plates, alternately, and the oil goes through the other channels. I cannot see ANY gaps between the plates. I sealed my lips over one oil entry hole, put my thumb over the other, and blew hard. no leaks. I don't believe that brazed joints that have been tight for ten years would suddenly spring a leak. Much more likely that the rubber seals would leak.

Bottom line: unless someone on this Forum has evidence of an oil cooler actually leaking, I'm just going to replace the seals - with purple Viton, obviously!

Last edited by brucerman; 11-23-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: left out critical info.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
Originally Posted by brucerman
flybd5, thank you for the reply. Mine is a W164 ML320CDI. I was already very well aware of Brandon's thread; lots of good information in there.<br /><br />I have the oil cooler out, and cleaned up. It's made of multiple aluminum plates, probably with channels machined into them, all brazed together, so the water goes between half the plates, alternately, and the oil goes through the other channels. I cannot see ANY gaps between the plates. I sealed my lips over one oil entry hole, put my thumb over the other, and blew hard. no leaks. I don't believe that brazed joints that have been tight for ten years would suddenly spring a leak. Much more likely that the rubber seals would leak.<br /><br />Bottom line: unless someone on this Forum has evidence of an oil cooler actually leaking, I'm just going to replace the seals - with purple Viton, obviously!
This is not the direct answer you are looking for, but ... I'm in the same position now with an engine oil leak that looks like it is coming from the oil cooler and/or oil cooler seals. I've put in an order for all the parts including the oil cooler itself for US$115 because this repair is a lot of work only to perhaps still end up with the same oil leak afterwards. It's not only a case of the old oil cooler needing to be air tight, but also that the mating surface with the engine block that needs to be perfectly flat. Also, to test for leaks without testing equipment, it's much easier to detect a loss of vacuum than a loss of pressure. Without testing equipment, a test still not infallible, would be to see if a constant vacuum can be held for say 10 seconds between your thumb on the one port and tongue on the other. The oil cooler has presumably been flushed out properly of oil and coolant!
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
It's unlikely that the coolers leak externally. I have seen them leak, but it's usually by mixing coolant and oil. The leak that you get outside the engine is always the seals, in my experience. '

You could take it and have it pressure tested, to be sure.