M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

~Seeking wisdom & advice from you seasoned MB vets~

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
~Seeking wisdom & advice from you seasoned MB vets~

Pleasure to be here. New to MB but been a car guy all my life. Trying to decide on a ml550. Have a few questions that I wouldn't mind spending hours searching for, but I'm currently on the road, though parked of course, and am really hoping some of you would kindly lend your opinions.
Air ride vs non air ride. One less thing to break and have to replace, true, but how is the ride on normal suspension? (2010 or 11 model). Also, how useful is the sport / comfort setting?

Are the ventilated seats a massive improvement? Work well and reliably?

I think the pre 2012 model looks the best (in the front at least.) I know the engine has been totally redone in the newer models. My question is this... Is it worth getting the 2012 model and if so why?
Is there anything of value that the old model offers that the new models discontinues? Is the driveability, performance and reliability massively different in one or the other?
When it comes to daily driving, how do the pre and post 2012 models compare in terms of reliability (I'm often in a hurry and therefore often drive hard but will never abuse it and will always maintain), sheer performance and any other category on which you'd like to comment?

Do you find the automatically adjusting cruise control of great use? ( I know it has an actual name, sorry) I've driven a ml55 and was very impressed. I've not yet driven the ml550, but figure it to be almost identical. That said, I've not driven the newer generation ml550 with the 4.7 twin turbo. I'm thinking of getting a 2010 or 11, owning it for a couple years and selling it before it hits the hundred thousand mile mark, hopefully, then upgrading to a 2013 or 2014 year model.I thank you all in advance for your assistance. Also, if there are other points you wish to share, fire away. Have an excellent day and thanks again.Here are a couple of the last contenders, one with and one without air suspension and all that goes with it.

I don't think they yet have pictures uploaded to their website, but I do have pictures of this one and it is in good condition at least from the initial pictures. (will try to attach)

I noticed it had a couple of accidents though, noted on the carfax report.
1- vin 4JGBB7CB1BA649355
Omaha Nebraska Mercedes: https://www.omahamercedes.com/invent...bb7cb1ba649355

carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...BB7CB1BA649355

2- Kinda hate the brown dash, but I guess I could cover it up with a dash mat. The steering wheel... Yuck. Still...
https://www.mercedesbenzofmckinney.c...6d5337a97d.htm

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...BB7CBXAA595438

Lastly,
3- https://www.wowwoodys.com/inventory/used-vehicles/vehicle/4JGBB7CB2AA560943/Used-2010-Mercedes-Benz-M-Class-Lees-Summit-MO
Old 08-27-2018, 01:06 AM

ML550

Last edited by ~RevRichmond~; 08-29-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ML420 W164 (2009)
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the lack of replies to your query. It's really difficult to give an appraisal of a vehicle from a link posted on the internet.

I'd suggest you take along an experienced mechanically minded friend to view any vehicles you are interested in. Take an inexpensive scanner along (one that can read MB codes) such as an iCarsoft MBII. See if there are any stored codes in every module.

I'd try to source the lowest mileage, most serviced, highest spec. example that you can find, in the model that appeals to you. Preferably one from a dry state that hasn't seen salty roads and hasn't been crashed.

The airmatic suspension is desirable, due to the ride quality and ride height choices it provides. However, if used in a harsh environment it will all need replacing by about 70,000 miles! That's not as scary as it sounds as quality aftermarket struts are available to you from Arnott ( I think).

I can only wish you good luck with your search and hope you find a good one!
The following users liked this post:
~RevRichmond~ (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML550 2008
For me having the airmatic is a must, I test drove the regular non-airmatic and it was nice but when you compare it to one with airmatic it's a night and day difference. There is a dramatic difference between sport and comfort, just ask my wife who hates it in sport and can tell within a few minutes it's on sport. I leave it on sport 90% of the time unless the roads are really bad and my wife leaves it on comfort. Also, though rare we had some bad rain storms with water standing at least 6" high and it was nice to raise the suspension and not worry about it. Plan on replacing the entire system every 70k miles like textered stated but arnott are a lot cheaper and are the exact same. The engine and the airmatic are the main reasons for me keeping my ML550.

Good luck in your search, plan to put money aside for repairs with the hope you won't have to make any
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
ML550>ML55
W164>W166 in the looks IMHO. And I prefer the NA 5.5L over the 4.7L Turbo.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
W212 E350; W166 GLC300; W164 ML550; W164 ML63; W221 S65; W220 S430; Escalade ESV
Airmatic is very unpredictable. It can leave you stranded with no prior warning. Spring suspension is a better choice for off-road or for uses in the remote areas.
With that said, I bought my S class with airmatic 4 years ago at 60k miles and it's still fine at 115k miles. ~Seeking wisdom & advice from you seasoned MB vets~-photo456.jpg
I just took a risk on a ML550 airmatic with 200k miles.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 PM

ML550
Arrow

Gentlemen, I genuinely appreciate your responses.
I've tentatively selected THIS one in Nebraska ( and they finally have several pics up, if you'd like to peruse) due primarily to price. They realized that they initially priced it too low (15.5k) and have since raised the price... but not before I was able to secure the deal for $15,799 out the door. ($299 doc fee, etc.) Now the price listed would equate to $17,169 out the door, saving me $1,370. I'll check it when I get there, of course, and hopefully I won't have to drive away in the truck to the next option. But I surely will if it's not up to par.

Originally Posted by texterted
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the lack of replies to your query. It's really difficult to give an appraisal of a vehicle from a link posted on the internet.
I'd suggest you take along an experienced mechanically minded friend to view any vehicles you are interested in. Take an inexpensive scanner along (one that can read MB codes) such as an iCarsoft MBII. See if there are any stored codes in every module.
I'd try to source the lowest mileage, most serviced, highest spec. example that you can find, in the model that appeals to you. Preferably one from a dry state that hasn't seen salty roads and hasn't been crashed.
The airmatic suspension is desirable, due to the ride quality and ride height choices it provides. However, if used in a harsh environment it will all need replacing by about 70,000 miles! That's not as scary as it sounds as quality aftermarket struts are available to you from Arnott ( I think).
I can only wish you good luck with your search and hope you find a good one!
As far as taking a mechanically-minded friend... well, that's me. Great idea to bring my code-reader. Planned on it, but you reminded me, so thanks. I really hope to get there and all be as well as expected... or better. Hey, I can dream, right?!? It IS Mercedes we're talking about, after all.... ;-)

Originally Posted by Quicksilver ML
For me having the airmatic is a must, I test drove the regular non-airmatic and it was nice but when you compare it to one with airmatic it's a night and day difference. There is a dramatic difference between sport and comfort, just ask my wife who hates it in sport and can tell within a few minutes it's on sport. I leave it on sport 90% of the time unless the roads are really bad and my wife leaves it on comfort. Also, though rare we had some bad rain storms with water standing at least 6" high and it was nice to raise the suspension and not worry about it. Plan on replacing the entire system every 70k miles like textered stated but arnott are a lot cheaper and are the exact same. The engine and the airmatic are the main reasons for me keeping my ML550.
Good luck in your search, plan to put money aside for repairs with the hope you won't have to make any
You have driven both variants. Can you describe how the non airmatic one felt and handled, please? Massive body-roll, too firm or too soft, jittery or...? Thanks in advance. I was planning on keeping this one for a couple years, paying it off and then upgrading to a newer generation one....perhaps.
Originally Posted by OUZO Power
ML550>ML55
W164>W166 in the looks IMHO. And I prefer the NA 5.5L over the 4.7L Turbo.
That't interesting. I assume you've driven both to come to that conclusion. Care to expound?

Secondly, how well do you think the 5.5 will both perform and stay healthy (with great care, of course) while I drive it a little hard a few times per week... seems like I'm always running out of time and having to zoom..... not that I mind that part of it at all..... Lastly, (and I have had ZERO time to search this out yet, so must ask) they said the rack and pinion assembly has a small leak at the steering box. Is this a common problem relative to the ML550 or not? If so, how big a deal is it?

Originally Posted by DrDoe
Airmatic is very unpredictable. It can leave you stranded with no prior warning. Spring suspension is a better choice for off-road or for uses in the remote areas.
With that said, I bought my S class with airmatic 4 years ago at 60k miles and it's still fine at 115k miles. Attachment 417672
I just took a risk on a ML550 airmatic with 200k miles.
That brings up another question. The local German car mech told me that that system, when in-op, actually does leave the vehicle in-op, too, because it leaves it too low to drive. Is that to what you refer?
I won't go off roading much, but it's good to know. I'll ask you what I asked Quicksilver ML above, Can you describe how the non Airmatic ML feels and handles, please? Massive body-roll, too firm or too soft, jittery or...? Do you others agree that Airmatic is "very unpredictable" as is reported by DrDoe?

Thanks again, gentlemen. Looking forward to learning from all your replies. Have a great day.

Last edited by ~RevRichmond~; 08-28-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM

ML550
Bought the one in Nebraska. Love it. Has performed flawlessly on the very long drive from there to Texas... Then to California.... Then to Oregon ... Then home to Washington State. Looking forward to driving again. Looking forward to improvements, too.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ML420 W164 (2009)
Good luck with it
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

ML550
Originally Posted by texterted
Good luck with it
Thanks.