M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ISM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2022 | 11:14 AM

2010 Mercedes ML350 4matic w164
Originally Posted by Spartydano
Has anyone had to replace their ISM for a transmission shifting problem with message “ Drive to workshop without changing gear”? I’ve heard you can’t DIY and wondering about a price. Thanks in advance before I call the dealer.
Originally Posted by Spartydano
In my area very hard to find service person with diagnostic tools and license to pair ISM with vehicle. Waiting on dealer response. Mine is a new module so hopefully this will help at dealer. I’m hoping it meets dealer OEM requirement as I did not think of that. It is a Siemens 722.9 model so I think that’s good.

The bottom line on this repair is to buy a new module (virgin), have accessibility to the Star Diagnostic data base, VIN numbers, including license to reprogram module. You must have this accessibility. Pair or program module to your vehicle VIN number before installing. This is just more convenient. Then complete the install which is a bit tight. (I had to unbolt drive shaft to get upper heat shield screws and module bolts off). You should be good to go then.

I have read & been told a lot about used modules or refurbished. They may not be able to be reprogrammed even after being virginized. The cost of refurbished and new is minimal so I suggest new.

I am still waiting on finding out about getting my install programmed. This has been a real experience. Hope this aids others having the same issues. Thanks to all who responded and helped. Spartydano
I

A indie shop can SCN the donor ISM at cost of $400-500, but ISM has to be installed on vehicle and in there shop. So you need to have it towed. Myself paid for donor DSM online $180, shipped to Dearborn, MI to SCN $245. Then put it back on my 2010 ML350 4MATIC. After reinstall I had to use icarsoft MB II to clear all codes. You can save a lot of money DIY, but it is v time consuming. GOOD LUCK