M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Airmatic issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2021 | 07:38 PM

2007 ML500 4MATIC
Airmatic issue

I’ve got a 2007 ML 500 with an error message and picture of a car with a yellow arrow pointed up. I’ve looked in my owner’s manual and done some research myself as well as had my mechanic look at it. Car does not raise when pushing the button to lift the height. Over the course of about 2 weeks, my car has lowered to the point that there’s no clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Not enough for me to feel comfortable driving it at least. And besides all that, as it’s been sitting in my garage, it looks like the front wheels are now tilted out. Probably from disproportionate/malfunctioning weight-bearing issue. Anyway, my mechanic says it’s a “leveling sensor”. I’m worried now that the airbags have gone bad which is why it has lowered over time. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

This is the height when it’s raised / functioning normally.

This is how low it’s gotten over a couple weeks.
Any insights and bits of expertise are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2021 | 04:02 AM

ML350(W164), CDI, 4matic, 2010; C200 (W203), 2005
Got same issue on my W164 2010 ML350 but only to LH Front wheel! Still pondering if should take to Dealer (which I guess gonna be expensive) or wait for hints and get help from a private mechanic!
Old 04-13-2021 | 02:31 PM

GL550 X164
If you see the message in your cluster, chances are there is a code in the airmatic module. Scan the module with an MB capable scanner or have it done at independent mechanic or dealer. That should be your starting point with the message. If your bags are dropping, that could be a number of things: punctured bags, leak in the reservoir or valve block. To rule out the bags, spray them with soapy water and look for bubbles forming. Spray the line/nut as well. You will need to have the car sitting at normal height for that test, not slammed. Also perform the soap water test at raised height if no bubbles are observed at normal height.
Old 04-14-2021 | 06:49 AM

Thank you expl0rer for your reply. The car is not leveling anymore, it has the front left wheel side dropped. When push the bottom to rise it Keeps trying till get "compressor cooling down" message. When I stop the command to rise I got the message on the cluster. As don´t have the scanner (just bought this car a few months ago) and have decided to take it to the dealer today - will see what ($$$) comes out and I may share results after getting the vehicle back!
Old 04-14-2021 | 07:19 AM

GL550 X164
Please let us know what the dealer diagnoses as faulty.

For a scanner, I use the iCarSoft MBII. It is not expensive. I paid $200 Canadian from Amazon and it has paid itself off several times. I've diagnosed Airmatic/ADS, wheel sensor, keyless go door handle, lift gate actuator and a few other things, all with the help of forum member here. I find codes are essential for most diagnostics. Besides, I don't have the benefit of a dedicated MB indy shop close by and the nearest dealer is a 2 hr drive. Also, I'm nosey about the car's fault codes lol

I think there is one for sale in Marketplace here. No affiliation with the seller. Not sure if its price warrants buying used, compared to new. If you pefer buying a new one, that's fine as well. For some things, like electronics generally, I would rather get new, personally, for support and warranty.

P.S. the MBII will only read codes, it will not perform any adaptations, or write/save values in the car's computers. If you prefer one which will do adaptations, those are pricier. I like the MBII for its basic approach and I can't screw anything up on the car since I can't write any values in the car's computers and modules.

Last edited by expl0rer; 04-14-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2021 | 08:27 AM

Really appreciated for the feedback and hints! Will try to buy a new MBII... I don´t want to mess with the car computers, just to learn what is wrong with it. I really love this car and wanted it for quite some time, hope it does not give me more problems ($$$) than pleasures! Will let you know the diagnosis from the dealer. Cheers.
Old 04-23-2021 | 02:13 AM

2007 Mercedes ML500
Originally Posted by Pascoal
Really appreciated for the feedback and hints! Will try to buy a new MBII... I don´t want to mess with the car computers, just to learn what is wrong with it. I really love this car and wanted it for quite some time, hope it does not give me more problems ($$$) than pleasures! Will let you know the diagnosis from the dealer. Cheers.
I've had the same problem as you. Went to a friend's garage for diagnosis and was told there was a leak from the drivers side suspension airbag. Basically what happened was the airbag developed a significant leak and kept losing air. In order to compensate, the airmatic pump has to keep pumping to keep air in the system leading to it overheating. This led to the airmatic fuse blowing. Replaced the fuse and the pump runs again. Now we're just waiting for the airbag to arrive to get it replaced.
Old 04-23-2021 | 03:55 AM

The Dealer Workshop reported a failed Front Air Suspension Shock (Hydropneumatic Spring) and the Valve Block. The Shock is absurdly expensive from the dealer here so I got it ordered from South Africa and will get it here only next week! Will update when/if problem solved! (I miss riding my ML350!)
Old 05-13-2021 | 05:10 AM

Got my ML350 back on the road last Tuesday! Rides perfectly now! Thank you all who interacted on this.
Got to get the engine cover emblem now (checked in another thread and got the PN, nice!).
Cheers.