M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 CAN Communication problem between ISM, EZS, TCM, SEATBELT SRS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w204 C200 CGI stage 1

Good Day,
My name is Han and I own a workshop in Indonesia
I hope you guys having a great day.

I'm having this electrical problem with my customer's ML350 (RH) W164 2010.

It started with his car having starting issue which turned out because of broken ECU (fan was constantly on and ECU cannot be accessed via xentry)

I have then replaced the ECU, did drive authorization etc and the car was fine for a month.

Then he came back because the car cannot recognized the gears (gear fault indicator light in dash), I have did the scanning and diagnosing and it was all pointing to ISM.

The car was not able to start because the ISM did not recognize any gear when I scanned it, so i changed the ISM Brand New.

The car then able to get started and it was normal. But it came back after 3 days, it did not recognize any gear again.. It was actually in the middle of day driving, and the car decided to just limped and not recognize any gear.

But this time, the ISM was able to recognize the gear was in P position (or at least as the memory was in P), but when I check the actual data in TCM, there is no gear and there are a bunch of communication error in the TCM EGS it self.

So then I proceeded with buying my customer with a new EGS electric plate of the bodyvalve.

I had problem with coding it as my xentry laptop was broken, so I decided to use Autel maxsys to initiate the new egs electric plate. The car was able to start normal, but it was clunky and very rough. I did local brake pedal adaptation and there were no change of the harshness for days. So as my xentry laptop was fixed, I decided to virginized the EGS (with the help of my friend to virgin it) and recode it with xentry. All is well for 2 days...

The car decided to died out again and not able recognize any gear..

I am suspecting the EZS but EZS was able to read all the movement of the keys correctly..

So now im in this loophole where the trouble codes are:

TCM = lost communication with EZS

EZS = lost communication with ISM

ISM = lost communication with EZS

MED/ECU = lost communication with EZS

SRS tensioner REVD = lost communication with EZS & ISM

No start for the car..

Driving coding are all registered on TCM EZS ISM but NO Driving authorization received from TCM, EZS & ISM; while TCM and ISM able to read position P.

EZS position 15,50, off & on are all reading correctly

I have check almost all the power supply of each connector, resistance & standby signals, all have the correct specification according to xentry testing procedure;

I have dissamble the SAM Rear and Front, opened up the case and seek for water damage but all is clean and good.

I have check the wiring known for spliced / water damage near the Battery, under the collumn, voltage distributor under the collumn near ezs, fuel pump wiring, front fuse box fuses & wirings, can bales around 30/19 distributors and 30/21..

I did not see any short.

At this point, im disassembling the whole wiring and any known wire to blindly looking for any short, while on the other hand, my customer has already stuck with pilling up bills for this car with no solution yet.. its been 3 months..

If any of you having similar issue, please I would really appreciate some of your experience or insight..

Thank you..
Old 08-11-2021, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Hendy, we can only assist you after you read the code numbers in all modules. See sample codes in ECM.

You also must tell us if the 350 is Gas, CDI or Blue as there are different code numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTC ECM Eng. 272 & 273 Eng..pdf (637.3 KB, 520 views)
Old 08-12-2021, 02:25 AM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1

Im having code 900887, No can message was reeceived from control unit a80 ism in EZS module
code U916887 in ISM coomunication with electronic ignition has a malfunction. The message is missing. in ISM module
code C141 no can message is received from control module n73 ESZ in TCM
code 900887 no acn message is received from ISM A80 in stored event dtc in TCM
missing ezs communication in REVTR LF and REVTR RF

There is no trouble codes in CGW

CGW current CAN Configuration is saying EZS & ISM are not present (New ISM module) I have check for the resistance & power supply and its all within the acceptable xentry test range.

Is it possible EZS able to receive can communication, reading all the position of the keys (i have also tried the back up key) but not able to deliver out CAN to other module sir? Its possible.. although I did voltage & power supply from the two connectors they all fine; also, I initially thought it was the connector contact problem; so I soldered the EZS connector but hence nothing change (i think this would solve if my problem is unrecognizable key fob)

and the weird thing is, I initially thought that my new part was defective, so I revert back my old electric plate egs. The coding and authorization drive & learning position are all gone, only left with the coding. I tried to revert back to the old ISM back as well, the old authorization drive and ism position adaptation are also gone. Are they supposed to behave this way?

Have any of you guys experience problem with the voltage distributor under the steering? x30/19 & x30/21 ? I have no clue on how to test this and all xentry test pointing me out to this part..

I have attached some pictures

Last edited by hendy.yurinata; 08-12-2021 at 02:27 AM. Reason: missing words & bad quality picture
Old 08-12-2021, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Here are the ISM codes as of 2009 and none of them match up to the codes you posted. I cannot help you any further.
Attached Files

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 08-12-2021 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:06 AM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1
W164 CAN Communication problem between ISM, EZS, TCM, SEATBELT SRS Reply to Thread

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Here are the ISM codes as of 2009 and none of them match up to the codes you posted. I cannot help you any further.
Hi sorry,
it should be:

Event 1321 No CAN message was received from control unit N73 (EIS [EZS] control unit) in the event data for ISM Module scan
P179D00 the redundancy system for direct select was activated for the ISM module scan

Event 1433 No CAN message was received from control unit A80 (Intelligent servo module for DIRECT SELECT) for the ESZ module scan

Thank you

Old 08-12-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ML420 W164 (2009)
I'd be checking for water damage, in the battery compartment under the seat.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:24 PM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1
Hi, no water damage sir I have check around the rear sam and front area. Opened up the sam module and see no water / rust trace as well..
The following users liked this post:
EmilyMB (12-23-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:17 PM

2012 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by hendy.yurinata
Hi, no water damage sir I have check around the rear sam and front area. Opened up the sam module and see no water / rust trace as well..
Hi - were you able to resolve those issues? I am having a similar situation and can not resolve it.
EmilyMB (12-23-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by mirinex
Hi - were you able to resolve those issues? I am having a similar situation and can not resolve it.

You are on the wrong forum.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/
Old 02-15-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350 2010
Originally Posted by mirinex
I’m experiencing the same issue with my ML 350 2010. Car starts but when I engage the gear,I get the message ESP, ABS, drive to workshop without shifting gear. Anytime I get this error message. The gear won’t shift from Park to Drive or Neutral. Sometimes I may have shift from Park to Drive before getting the ESP, ABS warning drive to workshop but then I can’t shift from P,D or N. I’ll have to lose battery terminal+/- then restart the car and everything is fine again. Some days ago, car won’t shift or select gear at all even though I unplugged the battery terminals and restart it again. I used a scanner which reads that the ISM is not communicating. The mechanic changed ISM and everything is working fine then I drove home.Back to yesterday. The same ESP/ ABS. Gear would not highlight or shift. We’ve checked every possible electrical loss or damage, flood. Nothing is working. Car starts fine but not shift when ESP or ABS pops up. Please help

Error code : P179D00 / The redundancy system for Direct Select was activated

P179D85 : same message

U012187 : communication with ESP has a malfunction

Old 02-15-2023, 09:08 AM

ML 350 2010
Good Day,

It started with his car having starting issue which turned out because of broken ECU (fan was constantly on and ECU cannot be accessed via xentry)

I have then replaced the ECU, did drive authorization etc and the car was fine for a month.

Then he came back because the car cannot recognized the gears (gear fault indicator light in dash), I have did the scanning and diagnosing and it was all pointing to ISM.

The car was not able to start because the ISM did not recognize any gear when I scanned it, so i changed the ISM Brand New.

The car then able to get started and it was normal. But it came back after 3 days, it did not recognize any gear again.. It was actually in the middle of day driving, and the car decided to just limped and not recognize any gear.

But this time, the ISM was able to recognize the gear was in P position (or at least as the memory was in P), but when I check the actual data in TCM, there is no gear and there are a bunch of communication error in the TCM EGS it self.

So then I proceeded with buying my customer with a new EGS electric plate of the bodyvalve.

I had problem with coding it as my xentry laptop was broken, so I decided to use Autel maxsys to initiate the new egs electric plate. The car was able to start normal, but it was clunky and very rough. I did local brake pedal adaptation and there were no change of the harshness for days. So as my xentry laptop was fixed, I decided to virginized the EGS (with the help of my friend to virgin it) and recode it with xentry. All is well for 2 days...

I am suspecting the EZS but EZS was able to read all the movement of the keys correctly..

No start for the car..

Driving coding are all registered on TCM EZS ISM but NO Driving authorization received from TCM, EZS & ISM; while TCM and ISM able to read position P.

I have check almost all the power supply of each connector, resistance & standby signals, all have the correct specification according to xentry testing procedure;

I have dissamble the SAM Rear and Front, opened up the case and seek for water damage but all is clean and good.

I have check the wiring known for spliced / water damage near the Battery, under the collumn, voltage distributor under the collumn near ezs, fuel pump wiring, front fuse box fuses & wirings, can bales around 30/19 distributors and 30/21..

I did not see any short.

At this point, im disassembling the whole wiring and any known wire to blindly looking for any short, while on the other hand, my customer has already stuck with pilling up bills for this car with no solution yet.. its been 3 months..

If any of you having similar issue, please I would really appreciate some of your experience or insight..

Thank you..

hello, did you solve the problem?
EmilyMB (02-19-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 03:13 PM

2009 GL450
[QUOTE=duckdux;8722262]I’m experiencing the same issue with my ML 350 2010. Car starts but when I engage the gear,I get the message ESP, ABS, drive to workshop without shifting gear. Anytime I get this error message. The gear won’t shift from Park to Drive or Neutral. Sometimes I may have shift from Park to Drive before getting the ESP, ABS warning drive to workshop but then I can’t shift from P,D or N. I’ll have to lose battery terminal+/- then restart the car and everything is fine again. Some days ago, car won’t shift or select gear at all even though I unplugged the battery terminals and restart it again. I used a scanner which reads that the ISM is not communicating. The mechanic changed ISM and everything is working fine then I drove home.Back to yesterday. The same ESP/ ABS. Gear would not highlight or shift. We’ve checked every possible electrical loss or damage, flood. Nothing is working. Car starts fine but not shift when ESP or ABS pops up. Please help

[/QUO

Did you get resolved im experiencing the same.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:17 AM

ML 350 2010
[QUOTE=Air2msc;8725112]
Originally Posted by duckdux
I’m experiencing the same issue with my ML 350 2010. Car starts but when I engage the gear,I get the message ESP, ABS, drive to workshop without shifting gear. Anytime I get this error message. The gear won’t shift from Park to Drive or Neutral. Sometimes I may have shift from Park to Drive before getting the ESP, ABS warning drive to workshop but then I can’t shift from P,D or N. I’ll have to lose battery terminal+/- then restart the car and everything is fine again. Some days ago, car won’t shift or select gear at all even though I unplugged the battery terminals and restart it again. I used a scanner which reads that the ISM is not communicating. The mechanic changed ISM and everything is working fine then I drove home.Back to yesterday. The same ESP/ ABS. Gear would not highlight or shift. We’ve checked every possible electrical loss or damage, flood. Nothing is working. Car starts fine but not shift when ESP or ABS pops up. Please help

[/QUO

Did you get resolved im experiencing the same.

Yes, my car is running smooth now, a lot of things were done during the process of fixing the fault.. I ended up, changing the gearbox, ISM, and fuse box from the engine compartment. The fault was from the fuse box which messed up a lot of things I listed above… after trying a lot of things like changing CAN, Sam, front fuse. And checking for flood or lick…

The fault was from the fuse box blowing out the ISM and gearbox..my gearbox was fixed in another model of car, same manufacture, to my surprise, it wasn’t working in the other car. My car is driving now without the drive to workshop message… it cost me $2000 to fix. Parts were sourced from used spare part market.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Good Day,

No start for the car..

I did not see any short.

Thank you..

Same like my problem
W166
M276

CU :
1. ME
2. TCM
3. ISM
No CAN Communication to above CU

What u do for this case ?
im indonesia too
Old 02-18-2024, 11:13 AM

w164
hello please can you help me i have a benz w164 my ISM got damaged and every time i change it it works for some day and then same problem again i noticed that this happened after a rainy day. could it be a leakage problem if yes where to find it or it is something else ? Thank you i advance, best reguards
Old 02-18-2024, 03:56 PM

2009 GL450
How did you determine the ISM was damaged? My situation is hopefully in the process of being fixed. If your suspecting water check under with front seats and both rear corners from inside. My is hopefully the EIS, it's been mailed off. I could reset my car by unplugging the plug on the EIS without the CAN bus. Resetting codes would not let my car start after issues.
maherabouammar (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:55 PM

ML 350 2010
Check the ISM you purchased. They are of 2 types, Siemens and continental. You need to replace with the exact one in your car.

in my own situation, I changed upto 3 ISM before I got the right one.

ive been using my car daily since 2023 without any fault. Just get a good ISM. It’ll solve the problem.

when installing the ISM, make sure the ISM protector hose(The hose prevent water to penetrate the ISM) is properly fixed or you might need a replacement within some days
Old 02-19-2024, 12:16 AM

ML 350 2010

This was replaced in my own situation. It’s attached to the Gear, then I replaced the ISM. I had spent money on replacing different fuse,SAM etc before discovering the fault. W164 is a good car to drive and loving it since the problem is fixed. I’ve been driving it daily since feb 2023 till today. I don’t have any plans to replace it yet, cuz it fuel economical…. Chilly AC
Old 03-25-2024, 11:43 AM

2010 Mercedes ML350 4matic w164
Angry No CAN communication W164 ML350 4Matic/GAS

New ISM, GSM and steering column module installed and programmed by my Benz repair shop. Car starts fine and goes into all gears but within 1 to 2 minutes before getting the ESP, ABS warning drive to workshop. Scanner show "CAN controller: CAN bus OFF In the case of the fault "Bus off" the control module is isolated from the CAN bus because of a major communication fault ". Shop wants to charge for 3 hrs @ $155.00/hr labor now to troubleshoot issue via diagrams. I see you replaced the engine compartment fuse panel module to solve your problem. How do I test the voltage distributor under the steering? x30/19 & x30/21 ? And please can someone give me instructions on replacing the engine compartment fuse panel module should decide to change it out. I HAVE DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER 6 MONTHS NOW AND CAR HAS BEEN PARKED. ANY HAVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND A GOD SEEN.

Old 03-25-2024, 12:00 PM

2009 GL450
Topshelf100, my issue was the eis. I delt with it for almost 2 years. I had to disconnect battery to reset or the car wouldn't start, even after clearing codes. Try unplugging the eis to reset. I replaced eis and haven't had an issue since, several cycles hours and about 1000 miles. I used Mike at Mercedes Benz Specialist for replacement.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:56 PM

2010 Mercedes ML350 4matic w164
No CAN communication W164 ML350 4Matic/GAS

Thank you Air2msc,
I used to have to disconnect my positive battery post to clear errors to put into P. With new ISM that issue has not happened again. Also had my EIS removed and shipped to EIS Repair shop in Bedford UK for testing or repair and it was repaired and does not get any errors related to it now. My Benz shop installed the new ISM ($1500.00) a few months ago and programmed. Also had ESP that sits on top of manifold shipped to repair shop in Jacksonville Fl and they tested it as good. This is why I am at lost now and looking at other things to test before just putting it back in the shop.

Originally Posted by Air2msc
Topshelf100, my issue was the eis. I delt with it for almost 2 years. I had to disconnect battery to reset or the car wouldn't start, even after clearing codes. Try unplugging the eis to reset. I replaced eis and haven't had an issue since, several cycles hours and about 1000 miles. I used Mike at Mercedes Benz Specialist for replacement.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:41 PM

E230
Having the same problem

Hi sorry,
it should be:

Event 1321 No CAN message was received from control unit N73 (EIS [EZS] control unit) in the event data for ISM Module scan
P179D00 the redundancy system for direct select was activated for the ISM module scan

Event 1433 No CAN message was received from control unit A80 (Intelligent servo module for DIRECT SELECT) for the ESZ module scan

Thank you
I have the same code on w164 car in the ism module, I tried changing it several times but nothing happens. The car stops and never stops until I change the ISM and program it then it goes back off. please tell us if you found a solution.