M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

'12 ML350 Wind Noise when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML 350
Angry '12 ML350 Wind Noise when driving

Picked up my new ML350 last week and went out for a drive only to hear wind noise coming from both driver and passenger front doors...it sounds as if the windows are slightly open but, they are not.

Took it to the dealer and they too experienced the same noise after taking for test ride. Dealer said that they took a similar ML out on the road and had the same experience -- at least I now know its not isolated to my vehicle.

Dealer said that they are not able to diagnose the problem and have reverted to MB corporate for further guidance. They acknowledge the problem but cant fix it.

Now, 1) has anyone else experienced the same wind noise with their '12 ML and, 2) if the dealer is not able to fix the noise, what recourse do I have? The vehicle is leased through MBF and 1 week has elapsed on the lease.

The vehicle is equipped with: P1, heated steering, and panoramic sunroof...

This is very frustrating and disappointing especially after waiting for this vehicle with much anticipation and fanfare...
Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
At what speed do you notice the noise?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
I have not experienced any wind noise at all. Did the other vehicle have a Pano roof as well? Keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I would take another ML out on the road with the service MGR, and see if you hear the noise and wind...If you don't, have them speak to MB corporate and to tell them you want a new truck! And under no circumstances will you be keeping the vehicle with the issues.

MB takes that stuff seriously, and most likely they'll get you into a new one.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
I do not notice excessive wind noise at all with my '12 ML. I'm guessing there was a problem with installation of the seals around the front windows or windshield. It should be fixable once they isolate the problem.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM

'12 ML 350
The noise becomes evident at approx. 40mph and gets worse when on the highway at 60+...

The service MGR claims that he took out another ML and experienced the same noise. I was not there with him so I dont know firsthand if this was the case with the other vehicle or if they are just saying that so to cover themselves and also make me feel like I am not the only one...

I have expressed to the dealer that I will in no way accept this vehicle in the current condition...I have given them until end of this week to give me an answer and solution.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same noise. Again, the noise seems to be coming from both front doors -- near outside side mirrors -- and sounds as if the windows are slightly open.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Hang in there Blueberry. I am sure that MB will find the cause and fix it for you. I had a similar problem with an Audi A6. Turns out that the door latch mechanism needed a very slight ajustmemt.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by GreginNH
Hang in there Blueberry. I am sure that MB will find the cause and fix it for you. I had a similar problem with an Audi A6. Turns out that the door latch mechanism needed a very slight ajustmemt.
What year a6?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
What year a6?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Nothing here '12
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM

2019 C63S
completely silent during my extended test drive a few weeks ago... had it up to 80mph and dead quiet
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by lboudreau
completely silent during my extended test drive a few weeks ago... had it up to 80mph and dead quiet
I've test driven two and same - no wind noise at all up to about 80 I took it to.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM

2012 ML350(gas) P1 w/ pano, Parktronic & keyless; 2012 Audi A4 2.0 sport pkg w/ Nav & Keyless
my 2012 does NOT have wind noise

My 2012 ML350 w/ pana roof is dead silent when compared to my 2009. Try pulling in the door handle from the drivers seat to see if you can hear the wind noise fluctuate.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM

2012 ML 350
Me Too

Originally Posted by blueberry99
The noise becomes evident at approx. 40mph and gets worse when on the highway at 60+...

I have expressed to the dealer that I will in no way accept this vehicle in the current condition...I have given them until end of this week to give me an answer and solution.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same noise. Again, the noise seems to be coming from both front doors -- near outside side mirrors -- and sounds as if the windows are slightly open.

Thanks for the feedback!
I have the same 40mph issue. It's as if a rear window is partially down. Baffle type air flow issue.

I know that in many different make cars that if one of the rear windows in down a few inches you hear a harmonic distortion. It almost hurts your ears.

This is a similar sound but not as extreme. It is a nuisance and not something anyone would expect regardless of the make.

I noted this problem on the initial survey sent by JD Power.

MB must find our what is causing this harmonic distortion (air vibration). Roof Rack?? Some design problem. They need to wind tunnel it.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wheels777
They need to wind tunnel it.
You think they haven't wind tunnel tested the W166? This is obviously a quality control issue affecting a few vehicles. Hopefully your case and others will lead to measures to prevent this from happening in future builds.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 AM

2012 ML 350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You think they haven't wind tunnel tested the W166? This is obviously a quality control issue affecting a few vehicles. Hopefully your case and others will lead to measures to prevent this from happening in future builds.
I don't know what MB has tested for. Don't they drive every car off the line for 5-6 miles? The vehicles don't arrive with only 1 mile on the odometer.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but MB can't match bumper paint to the body color and that is an obvious matter.

So who knows if the tester picked up on this anomaly in the wind tunnel.

I really like this vehicle but a paint issue I just posted about and this harmonic distortion (whatever) is a bit disheartening. I can get problems like this for a lot less money by buying a new Jeep Liberty. They have had big issues with harmonic vibration problems in their drive trains for over 3 years and still many have it right off the assembly line.

I'm happy that my issue and others may prevent this in the future.

I do lack a bit of confidence that MB will actually investigate it and/or resolve it.

For all I know this problem is being caused by excessive tire presure of 45-48lbs as placed on the B pillar. (my noise subsided a bit as it got colder out and tire pressures went down) I almost forgot about it until I read this post. It is subtle enough to go unrecognized by many owners, imo.

And, as we have discussed on other threads it does not match the gas tank door sticker. MB can't resolve the correct tire presures. Different dealers have different answers and so do MB reps.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know what MB has tested for. Don't they drive every car off the line for 5-6 miles? The vehicles don't arrive with only 1 mile on the odometer.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but MB can't match bumper paint to the body color and that is an obvious matter.

So who knows if the tester picked up on this anomaly in the wind tunnel.

I really like this vehicle but a paint issue I just posted about and this harmonic distortion (whatever) is a bit disheartening. I can get problems like this for a lot less money by buying a new Jeep Liberty. They have had big issues with harmonic vibration problems in their drive trains for over 3 years and still many have it right off the assembly line.

I do lack a bit of confidence that MB will actually investigate it and/or resolve it.

For all I know this problem is being caused by excessive tire presure of 45-48lbs as placed on the B pillar. (my noise subsided a bit as it got colder out and tire pressures went down) I almost forgot about it until I read this post. It is subtle enough to go unrecognized by many owners, imo.

And, as we have discussed on other threads it does not match the gas tank door sticker. MB can't resolve the correct tire presures. Different dealers have different answers and so do MB reps.
Wind tunnel testing is done during design, but not on every vehicle produced. Likewise, vehicles are not typically road-tested. This would take an extraordinary amount of time given the numbers produced. Sample vehicles may be given such treatment. This is the typical quality control sequence:

"After all Quality checks are completed, there are additional quality checks for complete customer vehicle fit and finish. Such off-line tests include, but are not limited to;

•Rattle test -The vehicle is driven of a special device to check for “rattles”
•Wheel alignment - the suspension and wheel alignment will be checked
•Rolls Test - This is a computer test of all the electronic functions under various simulated driving situations (e.g, temp, speed,etc.,)
•Quality shower - on-line water shower test to ensure that the vehicle is sealed properly.
Then it goes to the WSA line to prepare for Shipping where MBUSA inspects the vehicles and puts market specific labels on the vehicles.

Then the vehicle goes to another detailed quality check over. Ownership is then transferred to MBUSA. At this point the vehicle will travel to the Marshalling yard and be prepared for truck, train, or ship transport to dealers and/or the worldwide marketplace."

I have no good explanation for the tire pressure sticker. But run 32F and 35-37R like the W164 and you will find it much more comfortable
Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM

'12 ML 350

Wheels: what did your dealer tell you regarding your issue...

My dealer said that he is waiting on MBUSA to contact him -- been over 3 weeks now -- the sound is annoying and is ruining the driving experience for me.

anyone else have any experience with such issues, doesnt have to be this particular issue, in which case what are the options out there if the dealer is unable to fix -- how does MBUSA handle these things?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Mine is quiet as a coffin. Tire pressure is 34 psig cold.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 PM

2012 ML 350
Originally Posted by blueberry99
Wheels: what did your dealer tell you regarding your issue...

My dealer said that he is waiting on MBUSA to contact him -- been over 3 weeks now -- the sound is annoying and is ruining the driving experience for me.

anyone else have any experience with such issues, doesnt have to be this particular issue, in which case what are the options out there if the dealer is unable to fix -- how does MBUSA handle these things?
My dealer does not know anything regarding this and no response from MB after filling out the new car survey about this.

Blueberry99: Read my previous post regarding this thread. Are We both having the same issue or is yours different???? Mine probelem is a harmonic distortion not a wind noise.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I have had mine for a few days now and it is dead silent. Almost scary silent. Funny story, my daughter left the sun roof open (tilted up in rear) with the sun shade closed. We were driving and we heard some sounds and took about 15 minutes to figure the roof was open. :-)
Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by Scott5000
Mine is quiet as a coffin. Tire pressure is 34 psig cold.
Coffin experience?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jweezy
Coffin experience?
Submarine coffin rack experience...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM

2012 ML350
Not sure if this is related or not... A couple of times we've experienced what seems like high air pressure and low frequency ear pressure.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Tundra Roads, I hear that also only when the one of the windows are down or cracked to certain extent.

I have heard that unbalance air pressure in every single car I have ever been in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '12 ML350 Wind Noise when driving