M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 vs E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 - Steel Gray + MM + 18" AMG + IPod
ML350 vs E350

ok, this doesn't sound like the right comparison but ....

Was planning to get the 2012 ML350 since wife insists on an SUV but I noticed the E350 4MATIC is really close price-wise and given that the S & E classes are the Benz standard, i'm expecting better reliability over the long run.

Any quick thoughts?

Appreciate it, thx!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by eXists

Was planning to get the 2012 ML350 since wife insists on an SUV but I noticed the E350 4MATIC is really close price-wise and given that the S & E classes are the Benz standard, i'm expecting better reliability over the long run.

Any quick thoughts?

Appreciate it, thx!
I believe you have your answer right in front of you.

Wayne
a GLK 350 because his wife said, "That is too big." She was looking at an ML 350 at the time.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM

2016 C450 AMG
lol...I was doing the same comparison last week!

However....I ended up going with the ML 350! Reason Being...

I live in NYC, and the winters here have just been insane...We got a snowstorm almost everyweek the last few years and my GLK got me through every storm just fine. IMO the E was just too low to the Ground, and the way I wanted it with the AMG package would have been a nitemare in BAD Weather.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350

Any quick thoughts?

Appreciate it, thx!
Your title was a vs comparison.

Your statement was "wife insists on a SUV"

Why you asking us, if you wife already said what's going to happen?

In all serious-ness...both are great cars...I love the E-Class. However, I think YOU (your wife already knows what she wants). Need to figure out if you want an SUV or a car. These are not even in the same class and both have there plus/minus. Figure those out - if you find that a car fits your needs better -E if the SUV is better suited - ML

Here are some things to consider:

E - Good - Better MPG - Smaller tank - Faster - Low ride height - Better Handling

ML - Good - Ride height - Cargo space - Ground Clearance - Better use of 4-matic (more suspension travel and bigger wheels) - Better off road use - DSR - More interior headroom
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by venchka
I believe you have your answer right in front of you.

Wayne
a GLK 350 because his wife said, "That is too big." She was looking at an ML 350 at the time.
Yeah, I hear you ;-)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
lol...I was doing the same comparison last week!

However....I ended up going with the ML 350! Reason Being...

I live in NYC, and the winters here have just been insane...We got a snowstorm almost everyweek the last few years and my GLK got me through every storm just fine. IMO the E was just too low to the Ground, and the way I wanted it with the AMG package would have been a nitemare in BAD Weather.
Thx for the feedback! DC isn't too bad weatherwise so not a high priority...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
As much as I like the E-Class, it couldnt get you to the other side of a 25 inch deep stream of water.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Thx for the feedback! DC isn't too bad weatherwise so not a high priority...
I live in Metro DC, you know yourself you could have used an ML a couple times in 2010 and earlier this year?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jweezy
Your title was a vs comparison.

Your statement was "wife insists on a SUV"

Why you asking us, if you wife already said what's going to happen?

In all serious-ness...both are great cars...I love the E-Class. However, I think YOU (your wife already knows what she wants). Need to figure out if you want an SUV or a car. These are not even in the same class and both have there plus/minus. Figure those out - if you find that a car fits your needs better -E if the SUV is better suited - ML

Here are some things to consider:

E - Good - Better MPG - Smaller tank - Faster - Low ride height - Better Handling

ML - Good - Ride height - Cargo space - Ground Clearance - Better use of 4-matic (more suspension travel and bigger wheels) - Better off road use - DSR - More interior headroom
I can at least pretend I'm in charge, no?! ;-)

Honestly I found that the price range is close enough and was looking for any feedback that will make it easier to decide, thx!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM

I live in Metro DC, you know yourself you could have used an ML a couple times in 2010 and earlier this year?
True but it really was 1-2 weeks so hard to make it a top priority...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2009 Audi A4 Cab,2003 Harley Road King
Happy Wife = Happy Life
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
+1 on the gas mileage, my E550 gets better mileage than my wife's ML350, although the new engines should be better. Also, the german made E is of better quality build than the american made ML...I thought by 2010 all the quirks would be fixed but still have several electrical glitches with the ML that keep showing up even after being "fixed".
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by park423
+1 on the gas mileage, my E550 gets better mileage than my wife's ML350, although the new engines should be better. Also, the german made E is of better quality build than the american made ML...I thought by 2010 all the quirks would be fixed but still have several electrical glitches with the ML that keep showing up even after being "fixed".
Sad to say but American made is one of the reasons I'm worried about the ML.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Sad to say but American made is one of the reasons I'm worried about the ML.
The engines and trannies still come from the Motherland, I believe, and all signs are the quality of the current version should be ahead of the last.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
I was being sarcastic. The kind of snow we had, no one could get around in anyway.

Have you looked into if you want gas or diesel? Diesels get better mpg, however in our area gas is better to find.

From a poster earlier, there was talk of the diesel E-class getting very good mpg numbers.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM

335i
The E is a great looking car and was on my short-list when deciding to go with the ML. Reason? I have a 4-door sedan and just wanted something different this time around. Next time, I'll probably go with a sedan. Gas mileage isn't the trump card, they both use it and over the life of the car, compared with all the other expenses, doesn't amount to much variance. Poor weather isn't a trump card as somehow everyone with cars is still around after the weather clears. Build quality is fine in both. Sure, the E may be a little better/more reliable, but no guarantee - regardless, both will get fixed. Even the option list is pretty much the same. The real difference obviously is the size of the two. The ML carries more stuff, more conveniently, offers better visibility, features better ingress/egress, and is probably safer in wrecks (typically, the bigger car "wins" in a crash). The E is a little quicker and handles better.

Variety is my spice in life.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I've now heard twice (including once in this thread) that the 350 engine in the ML is made in the motherland. Anyone have confirmation of this ? I am curious...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by bellemastiff
I've now heard twice (including once in this thread) that the 350 engine in the ML is made in the motherland. Anyone have confirmation of this ? I am curious...
Yes. All engines for the MLs and GLs are made in Germany and shipped to the US to be married to the chassis at the Alabama plant. BMW does the same thing with their X series cars; engine from Germany married to chassis in the US.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 AM
hdg

ML 350
Ok need some more opinions.
ML350 vs. E350

I purchased in Nov 2011 a 2010 CPO ML350. 6,900 mi at delivery 11,200 now.SInce then I have had the following:
Replace Auto Light Sensor
Replace Pully(s) and belt
Replace Front Transmission Pump
In the shop for 2 weeks for a groan/vibration at 80-84 mph. Turned out the brand new Conti tires were bad they replaced with Michelin
Auto Light Sensor still now working correctly
Replace Rear View Camera
MBRACE not working correclty had to be re flashed
I have not visited the shop for the following
When Radio is on mute if u hit a bump it un mutes
Excessive clatter on start up
When cold ambient temps I hear a ticking sound from the engine

They are willing to swap me out into a CPO 2011 E 350 with 14,200 mi, any opinions?

I like the quiet nature and ride of the ML but I am gun shy.
The E feels like a MB with heavy weight but seems to have a lot more road noise and firmer ride. It has the sport pky is the lux pkg any softer riding?

HELP I need to make a decision
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by rush1169
The E is a great looking car and was on my short-list when deciding to go with the ML. Reason? I have a 4-door sedan and just wanted something different this time around. Next time, I'll probably go with a sedan. Gas mileage isn't the trump card, they both use it and over the life of the car, compared with all the other expenses, doesn't amount to much variance. Poor weather isn't a trump card as somehow everyone with cars is still around after the weather clears. Build quality is fine in both. Sure, the E may be a little better/more reliable, but no guarantee - regardless, both will get fixed. Even the option list is pretty much the same. The real difference obviously is the size of the two. The ML carries more stuff, more conveniently, offers better visibility, features better ingress/egress, and is probably safer in wrecks (typically, the bigger car "wins" in a crash). The E is a little quicker and handles better.

Variety is my spice in life.

I'm having the same issue. Mom was in an e350 4matic which was just totaled (she's fine, go MB) and am debating whether to get her the same ride or an ML. My only concern is that she and my dad are not spring chickens. Which car is easier for older folks to get in and out of?

The e350 they were in was quite low. Not exactly easy to get in and out of.

I'm thinking the ML is a more natural height. Requires less stooping in/hoisting out of. Also, it can be lowered right?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
new option....

don't forget the E350 4Matic Wagon...
Almost as much cargo volume as the ML but car handling, mileage, etc.

27 mpg hwy, right up there in ML Bluetec area.

Test drive and decide, they both are really .

IMO, the E Wagon is one of the best looking MBs.