M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

What, no front fog lights?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
What, no front fog lights?

Drove in some fog for the first time this morning. Flipped on the fog light switch, indicator lights on dash--but I see no difference in the lighting in front of me.

Eventually figure out that switch is for the REAR fog lights. Apparently there are no front fog lights. I was kind of surprised by this. Always assumed my ML had fog lights. Also noticed that the front LED daytime running lights go out when the rear fog lights are on. What's the deal with that?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by caf
Drove in some fog for the first time this morning. Flipped on the fog light switch, indicator lights on dash--but I see no difference in the lighting in front of me.

Eventually figure out that switch is for the REAR fog lights. Apparently there are no front fog lights. I was kind of surprised by this. Always assumed my ML had fog lights. Also noticed that the front LED daytime running lights go out when the rear fog lights are on. What's the deal with that?
to reduce front glare
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
You may be right about the glare. I honestly couldn't tell from the driver's seat though whether the LED lights were on or not-- I noticed no difference in glare whatsoever in the fog patches.

Still surprised though that the ML has rear fog lights but no fronts. Oh well, most Americans don't know how to use fog lights anyway. I see people driving all the time with their fog lights on when there isn't fog within 1000 miles. They think their fog lights are "driving lights"! I used to think half the Mercedes sedans in town had burned out taillights, then I realized that they were just cluelessly turning on their rear fog lights, making the other side appear dim.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
Caf -

I feel the same, I thought the LED front daytime/fog lights were a improvement over the normal bulb lights.

However, every now and then my area will get some dense fog, I was like my fogs will help me, nah, off or on - I see no difference.

Maybe we could install some brigher L.E.Ds to make a dent.

BTW - I use to drive with my fogs on during the day/night without fog with my charger, for style. I like the way the car looked with my parking lights and my fogs on.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Originally Posted by caf

My brother bought this to my attention recently as well. I can't believe there's no front fog lights. Have anyone added fog lights on their own?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by caf
Are you sure? The fog light is supposed to be inside the main headlight housing. Did you assume the light to be the head light?

The front fog light is listed in equipment list:
Projection beam headlamps with integrated fog lamps, (S-612)
Active Bi-Xenon Headlamps, (S-615)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
In the brochure it shows the following..
"Safer driving: Intelligent Light System (optional; standard on ML 63 AMG). The Intelligent Light System comprises a variety of modes and functions: country mode, motorway mode, fog mode, cornering light function and the Active Light System for better visibility in bends. It also includes LED daytime running lights and Adaptive High Beam Assist, which maximises the headlamps’ range when no other road users are within sight, then automatically dips the beams if the lights of an oncoming vehicle are detected. The M-Class with On- & Off-Road Package and Intelligent Light System can
be supplemented by a special off-road light. This system throws out a particularly wide, bright beam, which has been specially developed for use in rough terrain."

So it is built in with the Intelligent light system... not sure about the normal.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Originally Posted by caf
Also noticed that the front LED daytime running lights go out when the rear fog lights are on. What's the deal with that?
I also discovered absence of front fog lights well after my purchase of the vehicle. I do not have bi-xenon. I asked service manager at the dealership... he could not explain the absence other than vaguely remembering something about new light design. Does anyone have definitive answer on why it is absent?