M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Random Stalling in 2012 ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350
Its unfortunate that alot of us are having this problem. MB did replace my wifes 2012 ml350 with a new 2013 ml 350 because it was going to take more than 30 days to repair so they considered it a lemon. The new one has had no problems and we enjoy driving it. I did report the stalling and engine problem we had on the 2012 ml to the national safety highway administration before mb replaced it but never heard anything. I think they have to get enough complaints for them to research and see if they can issue a recall. So i recommend to everyone to go to the nsha website and file a complaint. It doesnt take long and maybe since there have been accidents they will do something about it.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM

ML350
Thank you for the advice d34! I reported my problem with the national safety highway administration website like you suggested. I am surprised that there were very few complaints reported with the ml since there are so many similar posts here. REPORT REPORT REPORT! Especially if you are not getting any answers. Mine did result in an accident. Be safe. BTW my ML350 is a 2012.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM

ML350
Stalling problem -ML350

I have same random stalling problem for 3 times already since I had my ML350 for an year . Luckily there was no accident and was able to restart my car after engine shuts off at the traffic light. I am in MD and always use Shall Sunoco or Exxon gas. I sent my car to dealers twice already and since no error code was generated in the system, they couldn’t fix it. But I really don't like their response. I will sent my car to dealer again for 3rd time. Hopefully they will be able to find a problem and fix it.

If not, I will file a complaint to nhtsa(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) . I feel this is a serious safety issue. Dealer can't just say that they can't find an error code, and don’t fix the problem.

Model: No keyless. 11/11 C792.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
the cynic in me wonders about Newly registered accounts appearing to reinforce each other, and writing in a similar style.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I believe that some people would never join in these blogs unless they were seriously angered. They have been, so they have the right to say so. And they tend to reinforce others views hence the similar style.

However they are still only relatively few. Most of us here have grumbles because we desire perfection - "why isn't this option available" or "why didn't they mount this the other way round."

Most of us do have a reasonably fault free run. My W164 had some minor faults which were fixed immediately. So far the W166 has covered 7,000km with not a hint of a problem. Hopefully it will continue this way. Or if it does fall down, then hopefully MB will have learnt from these others who have previously had a problem, so a quick remedy will be available.

Having had those problems with another make, I feel for the ones with unsolved problems.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM

S2000
We had the same stalling problem since the first week of picking up the SUV. Dealer replaced the high-pressure fuel pump as mentioned on previous posts. After a few months, the car stalled again. Brought back to Mercedes dealer, nothing got done. A few months later, the car repeatedly stalled on two or three continuous occasions, brought back and left the car with the dealership for over two weeks, while awaiting for Mercedes to replace the car based on "lemon law." Still have not heard back for any decision yet. Dealer called yesterday stating that a new software/firmware has been installed to address this stalling issue. Just picked up the car today and have no confident if this software really resolved the matter. So does anyone have any experience with the new upgrade software?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Stalling is the result of something and they believe a firmware update will be the remedy. But what is the new software trying to address? Is the update related to timing, fuel/air mixture, manipulate a sensor, etc.? Exactly what is the software adjusting? Once we know what the target is we will know what MB thinks causes the stalling problem.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ML350toy
We had the same stalling problem since the first week of picking up the SUV. Dealer replaced the high-pressure fuel pump as mentioned on previous posts. After a few months, the car stalled again. Brought back to Mercedes dealer, nothing got done. A few months later, the car repeatedly stalled on two or three continuous occasions, brought back and left the car with the dealership for over two weeks, while awaiting for Mercedes to replace the car based on "lemon law." Still have not heard back for any decision yet. Dealer called yesterday stating that a new software/firmware has been installed to address this stalling issue. Just picked up the car today and have no confident if this software really resolved the matter. So does anyone have any experience with the new upgrade software?
If you lost confidence in the car just lemon law it. They will fight you, they did me, but if you have a case you will win. I'm not a lawyer but an engine that stalls out randomly sure sounds like a "non conformity" to me.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 AM

S2000
Hi katiesdad,
As a matter of fact, I am awaiting for Mercedes headquarter to give me a replacement but they still havenot given any answer yet. If their answer is "no" then I will take the case to a lemon lawyer. Already talking to one but want to give Mercedes to resolve the matter first. From a different thread, I saw that you have won your case in court and got a full refund. Congratulation! Btw how long does it take to win the case from the time you submitted the claim to a settlement? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Hi katiesdad,
As a matter of fact, I am awaiting for Mercedes headquarter to give me a replacement but they still havenot given any answer yet. If their answer is "no" then I will take the case to a lemon lawyer. Already talking to one but want to give Mercedes to resolve the matter first. From a different thread, I saw that you have won your case in court and got a full refund. Congratulation! Btw how long does it take to win the case from the time you submitted the claim to a settlement? Thanks.
I too went to MB and asked for a replacement vehicle. After speaking to their dealer they said no. Thats when I went lemon law. MB went 100% by what the dealer told them. Even the MB attorney went 100% on what they said. Which I understand is a no-no. I thought a lawyer never asked a question he already didn't have the answer to. At the hearing he INSISTED that the board inspect the vehicle. I really wanted them to inspect the vehicle because the problem was easily duplicated. Unfortunately for the MB attorney, who put all his faith in the dealer, he didn't know that.

Bottom line is they inspected the vehicle and almost jumped out when they felt the air pressure in their ears.....while the vehicle was still parked in the lot! My attorney STRONGLY suggested that I take the $$$ and not a replacement vehicle. So I followed his advice and took the $$.

From the time I filed to the hearing date was about 60 days.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 PM

2012 ML350
An update. We experienced 3 more stalls this past winter, one each in Jan, Feb, and Mar. Our experience has been that they happen after driving fast on a highway and then coming to a stop. All of ours have been in colder weather. Dealer has been useless and only says 'no fault codes'. We've had 2 firmware upgrades and fuel pump replacement that were supposed to fix the problem but none have. MB's lack of response to this is extremely frustrating. Lexus would have been all over it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Hi katiesdad,
Just wondering, what was MB's response?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM

S2000
After months of waiting, we finally heard back Mercedes that they will buy back the vehicle. Therefore, we are in the process of picking a replacement, but so far the dealer has not been able to locate a similar car with the options that we have. I have a feeling that most likely will take the money (not sure if it will be full price) and apply to a custom order for 2014 if dealer agrees for the same discount we negotiated when buying the 2012 model. Maybe those who have their car replaced by dealership can chime in to share your experience and how's the process goes...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM

After months of waiting, we finally heard back Mercedes that they will buy back the vehicle. Therefore, we are in the process of picking a replacement, but so far the dealer has not been able to locate a similar car with the options that we have. I have a feeling that most likely will take the money (not sure if it will be full price) and apply to a custom order for 2014 if dealer agrees for the same discount we negotiated when buying the 2012 model. Maybe those who have their car replaced by dealership can chime in to share your experience and how's the process goes...
When MB took back my wife’s 2011 ML350 they called it a substitution of collateral and put us into a 2012 ML350 without a penny coming out of my pocket. The terms of my 2011 lease remain in place and MB just changes the VIN on the lease contract and I have a change form from MB.

The only option the 2012 didn’t have that the 2011 had was the running boards not a big deal to me but my wife liked them. I mentioned it at the time but the running boards were on back order for months and in all fairness we went from W164 to a W166 so I really wasn’t going to make a big deal out of it. Besides, after two years of issues with the 2011 I just wanted to move on and get out of it.

My advice is to get out of it as soon as you can. The longer it takes to get the new one the more of a chance of something happening that can cause the deal to go south. Ask your dealer if they will give you a loaner until they find what you want, this way it is no longer your responsibility.

I was told that if I had requested a full refund instead of a replacement vehicle MB would have fought harder and I probably would have had to have gone the legal route.. I wish you luck.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 06-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I'm sure they didn't want to have a "lemon" titled car back either. It makes financial sense to exchange the car, call it an executive lease return, and sell it to someone else. I know the one they got back from me is forever tainted with the "lemon" on the title.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
I'm sure they didn't want to have a "lemon" titled car back either. It makes financial sense to exchange the car, call it an executive lease return, and sell it to someone else. I know the one they got back from me is forever tainted with the "lemon" on the title.
I agree, much easier to re-sell a non- lemon..
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM

S2000
thank you cyber gs for sharing your experience and katiesdad for your input as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
I have a 2013 ML 550. It stalled on my wife with only 500 mi on the car and we had it towed to dealer. It was a faulty ECU that they replaced. I spoke to MBUSA about this and documented the circumstances. Thought I'd add this to the post as a potential issue/fix. We shall see if anything else develops. I'll report it to the NTSB and already did to JD Powers.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM

thank you cyber gs for sharing your experience and katiesdad for your input as well.
You're welcome..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Originally Posted by jimmysanjuan
I have a 2013 ML 550. It stalled on my wife with only 500 mi on the car and we had it towed to dealer. It was a faulty ECU that they replaced. I spoke to MBUSA about this and documented the circumstances. Thought I'd add this to the post as a potential issue/fix. We shall see if anything else develops. I'll report it to the NTSB and already did to JD Powers.
Hi there jimmysanjuan. Thanks for your input.

I have a 2013 ML500 too (same as yours just badged different here in Aus) now with just over 10,000kms on it and I got it back in January. So far I've had no issues with any stalling at all. I have been watching this thread carefully and it seems you're the first one to have any issues in the non-AMG petrol V8, all of the others seem to be the diesel 350s. It's interesting that MBUSA replaced your ECU but it seems that they've told other owners that there's no fault codes so nothing is wrong and they haven't done anything. I wonder if they're paying more attention to you because you spent more money?

I love my truck, it's just getting better & better the more I drive it. MBAuP has just dropped the 500 engine out of the new E-Class, and there's rumours they'll drop it from the ML soon too.

Happy motoring, and cheers from Down-Under!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM

2012 ML350

We have a 2012 ML350 (gas engine) and have approx. 30Kmiles. We’ve experienced similarstalling issues to those posted by other members. The first stall happened when we stopped fora red light – the car just shut-off. Werestarted the car and proceeded on our way…scratching our head about what justhappened. We didn’t take it to thedealer as it seemed random and we thought I might have done something like bumping the keywith my knee by accident. Over thecourse of a few months, we then noticed that the car would sometimes idle roughon a cold start. We took it into thedealer and they began by telling us it might be ‘bad gas’. They didn’t find any codes but decided to keepthe car for a few days. They were ableto replicate the rough idle and upgraded the computer software – this was inSeptember 2012. This seemed to work fora while but we still had some rough idling but no stalling…until lastweek. I went to start the car and itstarted and immediately stalled – it wouldn’t idle. This happened a few times in a row and Ifinally went back to my carburetor days and gave the car some gas as soon as Istarted the car to try and force an idle. This worked and my car stayed running (or I just got lucky that the random problem passed). I immediately took the car to the dealer andthey thought it might be the high pressure fuel pump. Again, they held the car for a few days andagain no fault codes. However, they were able to replicate thestalling.

Quote from the service document: “VERIFIED CONDITION. CHECKED FOR LI DOCUMENTS AND FOUND FORCONDITION – CHECK SW VERSION IN ME AND FOUND VC10. INSTALLED FLASHED AND CODED ME TO VC 12VERSION ( LI DOC 07.08-P-055310). CLEARED AND RECHECEKED OPERATIONS. ALL OK.

Found this description on MBWorld and it fit my problem (thanks tokonigstiger):

LI07.08-P-055310 Engine intermittently shuts off immediatelyafter starting but does not shut off again on a restart. When started mayexhibit rough idle for a few seconds. Symptom more common on restarts aftershort trips and relatively short engine off periods (10-60 minutes). ECUsoftware update (version VC12.0.1) will be available mid February.

I am hopeful that rough idle and stalling issues are behindus and good luck to those experiencing similar issues.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Glad to hear that your issues seems to be behind you..I know how frustrating trying to get them resolved can be. Hopefully all will be good moving forward.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM

ml350
I just went to the dealer today to get new tires and he told me about the software update for the random stalling. I actually haven't had the issue since 30k miles (I now have 46k), so I opted to wait until my 50k visit. Has anyone actually gotten the update and noticed the difference?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM

S2000
I have high hope that the software update would solve the random stalling. Unfortunately, it doesn't do jack. Whatever it updates, it does not make solve the random stalling. The car stalled on us once after the software a few months after, and again, of course it's random. However, I did notice that the frequency is much less before the update, so maybe it helps a little bit but does not provide a totally fixed.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM

2013 ML 350
ML12NYC, do you brake with your left foot? I had a similar same issue until I used my right foot to brake. Something to do with a safety feature. Auto engine did not shut down but it will not accelerate for a few seconds. we duplicated the issue with another Ml 350 gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Random Stalling in 2012 ML