M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Random Stalling in 2012 ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
Random Stalling in 2012 ML

I have my ML for about 5 weeks and have put over 2k miles on it. I have the gasoline verion with premium pkg 2. I think it's an amazing car and have enjoyed driving it. It has stalled 2 times when I was at a red light - both times occurred after exiting from the highway and then coming to a full stop at the traffic light. All the dashboard lights went on and the engine just stopped - and in both instances the "check engine" light never stayed on.

I called the dealer after the first time and he said it could be "bad gas". When I said I've been using the same station for years of several cars without ever having this happen, he then suggested I use the keyless button to start the car (prior to that I was using the actual key). He said if the key should come loose - even for a split second - then it would shut off the engine. As this sounded more plausible then "bad gas", I re-installed the ignition button. Everything was fine and I forgot about the stall until it happened again today!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this? Without the "check engine" light on, I was told it would be very difficult to determine the cause. Needless to say I am not too happy. This is my first Mercedes and I didn't expect to have this kind of problem. Thanks very much.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM

Yes - get it to the dealer so they can diagnose and correct the problem.

Since it has been showing a CEL - then they can identify the trouble readily and you should be good to go...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:21 PM

ml350
All the lights turned on when it stalled but when I turned the car back on, the CEL was not on.

I actually saw a post from another user who had the same issue. This happened to me when I used the key AND when I used the button to start the car. Since I've driven a lot in the last 5 weeks AND I've made numerous traffic light stops, this is a relatively rare occurrence. Could this be an issue with the engine or perhaps the key/button? In any case, it's extremely annoying when it does happen.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:55 PM

The point is this - the issue triggers a CEL and since it triggers a CEL specific diagnostic faults are stored in the system that your dealer can pull to diagnose - this is beyond "common" OBDII codes from a common scanner.

A shop SDS scan should easily tell your dealer what the problem is, so that they can correct it.

It is NOT normal, and could be as minor as a electrical connection - but the scan will be most helpful since something is being recorded.

This should not be a "rare" occurrence - this should be a "non" occurrence.

There has not been any shop bulletin/wire on this issue - so forgetting what other post from some other guy somewhere for the moment - please get your ML into a MB dealer for diagnosis and fix (doesn't even have to be the dealer you bought the ML from) so you don't keep agitating yourself.

If you need a loaner, best to call ahead and schedule...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 PM

2012 ML350
Same thing happened to me (w/ keyless). Dealer couldn't get it in until Jan 6, so we'll see what they come up with then (Lexus dealers have all consistently gotten us in within 1 to 2 days so this was yet another MB disappointment).
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM

It's a disappointment with your dealer - and to be frank totally contrary to MB protocol - the scheduler or CSR classified it as low priority based on a low labor job.

Call the dealership tmrw and speak with the Service Manager - random stalling on a new 2012 ML is a hot priority, it's a safety issue - tell him "safety" and then tell him "the Best or Nothing" - or call Roadside/mBrace.. frack this dealer up, that dealer's judgment call is not right at all in MB's eye's..
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 PM

ml350
Thanks for your response. I agree it should be a non-occurrence. I will contact my dealer again and have him check it out.

But at least now I know I'm not alone in having this issue.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM

2012 ML350
Dealer found 'no fault codes' and thus says they can't do anything. Does anyone know how much detail the computer keeps? I gave them a specific date/time when it happened hoping that they could at least see something about how the engine was turned off (if it was a system malfunction rather than an engine malfunction).
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
Dealer found 'no fault codes' and thus says they can't do anything. Does anyone know how much detail the computer keeps? I gave them a specific date/time when it happened hoping that they could at least see something about how the engine was turned off (if it was a system malfunction rather than an engine malfunction).
One thing I know is that fault codes are only kept for a certain number of starts. Every time you start the vehicle, the oldest codes drop off. I'm not sure what the capacity of the system is.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM

ml350
I didn't take my ML to the dealer yet. The first time the "stall" happened I switched to "keyless" but I kept the same key and kept using gas from the same station. I had hoped just going "keyless" would stop the problem. Since it happened again last week, I switched to using the other key and I'm going to a different gas station. I just want to rule out the "bad" gas theory and also make sure it's not based on a defective key. Should it happen again then I'll immediately take it to the dealer (I'll insist on going the same or next day if possible and I'll explain that someone else had the issue but no code came up - maybe because too much time elapsed).

I've gone about 400 miles since the last "stall" and it's been on the highway and city - no problems. I will post any updates on my situation.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Guys, talking from experience here. I have seen cars stall etc, and NO fault codes stored. This is normal-if the car doesnt see anything wrong. Also, if there are faults, its not as simple as " oh there is the problem" It doesnt quite work like that. The computer does not do the thinking for you.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM

ml350
I know,...I'm just being wishful that IF it happens again then the dealer could track down the problem. Believe me, I'm very very annoyed that I'm having this issue on a brand new Mercedes!!! I'm just hoping it is "bad" gas or a defective key.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I hear you. FYI, it is probably not bad gas, as it would not be a intermittant/rare problem. Those are the hardest to find!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM

335i
"Bad gas" is such a cop out. . .BMW pulled that with me on it's first (of many visits) with a stalling/rough running car. I then explained that I own the gas station and am quite intimate with the gas in my car. They changed their tone and tried something else. . .fast forward to last week, received a class-action settlement for the issue, but I digress.

"Bad gas" is only bad if you car doesn't run and likely contains a lot of water. Otherwise, gas is gas.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I had bad gas once but I made it stay in all weekend and it was never bad again. :-)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
This might sound stupid, but are you sure it's not just the ECO mode taking over and shutting off the engine at stops to save gas?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM

ml350
What is "ECO" mode? How does this "take over"?? I don't have any apparent settings that put the car in "ECO" mode or not. Is this something on the ML350?
Thanks.

Last edited by racingpro100; 01-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ECO Mode

Originally Posted by racingpro100
What is "ECO" mode? How does this "take over"?? I don't have any apparent settings that put the car in "ECO" mode or not. Is this something on the ML350?
Thanks.
The Eco Stop/Start function is not on North American vehicles.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
My wife told me that she was driving today and went up a hill near my house. When she got to the top of the hill she attempted to make a left turn the truck stalled. That's a potential dangerous situation since she was turning on a two way street. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. I think we need more answers from MB on this.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Wow sorry to hear this. Totally unacceptable for a new $60K vehicle. One of the reasons why I never buy first year models.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
Guys, talking from experience here. I have seen cars stall etc, and NO fault codes stored. This is normal-if the car doesnt see anything wrong. Also, if there are faults, its not as simple as " oh there is the problem" It doesnt quite work like that. The computer does not do the thinking for you.
Many cars do store each engine start and stop along with a timestamp and if applicable the type of start/stop. In each of these it would be good to know if at the time of the stall it shows a normal stop, nothing, or something else. If nothing it should then show a normal start w/o a normal stop since the previous start. This at least begins to provide a clue if it's engine/mechanical or computer related.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM

ml350
I also had reservations about buying any 1st yr model (after a redesign) but the new ML was just so nice that I decided to put aside those reservations. I mainly did that because it is a Mercedes and I assumed a certain level of quality and reliability.

I've already put on another 1k miles since I had the 2nd "stall" (I put it in quotes because I'm not sure if it was a real engine stall OR if it actually just shut off due to electrical or some other "key"->car issues). The car rides great and I intend to bring it to the dealer should I encounter another "stall".

But if others are experiencing this issue and notifying their dealers, I would hope MB does see a pattern and starts to address this issue. It can't be limited to the few of us on this message board. I guess the car is still so new that there aren't enough of them on the road (hence why it's not a good idea to buy a 1st yr model).
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
Truck stalled on me again today. Was at a light and when I took step my foot off the break the truck stalled. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with the service center. Hopefully they can see something on the computer. This blows!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM

ml350
That's just horrible! I haven't had any issues with mine lately. I've now got 3500 miles. I'm just curious, how many miles do you have on your ML at this point?

I notice that you're in NYC (as I am too). Did you get your ML at Silverstar by any chance?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 PM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
I have under 400 miles on the truck and it stalled twice so far. I picked up the truck from RayCatena in Edison, NJ. I was going to go with Soveriegn in Brooklyn but recieved better pricing from RayCatena.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Random Stalling in 2012 ML