M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Merits of ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Merits of ventilated seats

I think I read somewhere that you can order the heated/ventilated seats in multi-color, ie, the vent part can be one color while the rest of the seat is in another. I'm not sure I would do that anyway but I'm wondering if that is correct. Also, is the air that comes out of these really cool? Is it recirculated cabin air or actual air conditioner compressor air that comes out? I don't care about the heated part since I live in the south but I don't think I would want vent seats unless they actually shot out really cool air.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 GL350 Bluetec
The air is NOT cooled - it is just recirculated cabin air. As for the color of the upholstery, I would imagine that you can get any leather combination available normally, then just opt for the ventilated seats.

The reviews I have read are quite varied - some love them, others complain they are not cool enough.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
RJR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
We have the ventilated seats in our new ML and it works great. I have them in my 2008 SL and they have improved it alot since then. I think it looks nicer with the ventilated holes. We have the almond interior so it does give it a little two tone look.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

2017 CLS550
Thanks guys. I did a search and found nothing here on them but I'll try to go elsewhere around the net and see if I can read up on some of those reviews. Chances are they won't make much difference where I live if the air is not cooled, at least a little.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Ventilated seats can only be ordered with leather and not MB Tex and they will come with the heated seats. I have not seen any info regarding two tone seats of any kind.
While they don't blow cool air, it does help prevent your back from getting really sweaty when it's really hot.- this was information I read about a forum member who has it in a hot climate. He highly recommended it because it really does help in warm temperature. It keep it comfortable by recirculating the air on the points that you make contact with the seat. For me personally, I've tried it out on two S Classes but it wasn't hot enough for me to sweat in the car, but it was comfortable.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
I have them and they are not as good as I had hoped. Slightly Cool yes, cold no.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by shortspark
I think I read somewhere that you can order the heated/ventilated seats in multi-color, ie, the vent part can be one color while the rest of the seat is in another. I'm not sure I would do that anyway but I'm wondering if that is correct. Also, is the air that comes out of these really cool? Is it recirculated cabin air or actual air conditioner compressor air that comes out? I don't care about the heated part since I live in the south but I don't think I would want vent seats unless they actually shot out really cool air.
I've never heard of being able to order the vent part one color while the rest of the seat in another color. That would be pretty cool. Maybe it's one of those things they don't promote but you can get if you ask. I wonder what would make the best combos.

One thing I noticed when shopping for the MY13 ML550 that I now have on order is that the vents make the leather seats look more luxurious and special, and they feel softer, too. Whereas without the pattern they create, the seats look kinda plain (unless you're getting the Designo option). This is perhaps more of the reason I'm ordering the vent seats rather than I expect to make much use out of the vent function in So. Cal.

Are you also getting the multi-contour seats,which are new for MY13?
http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom_...r_seat/details
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
2-tone ventilated seats?

I think I read somewhere that you can order the heated/ventilated seats in multi-color, ie, the vent part can be one color while the rest of the seat is in another. I'm not sure I would do that anyway but I'm wondering if that is correct.
I don't believe this is correct. This may be inferred by the way some of the special order interiors were described in the 2012 info. On the attached, Grey/Black Leather, for instance, means the doors and lower dash are Black instead of grey matching the seats. The pictures indicate the perforated section of the leather seats for the ventilations
Attached Files
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by gplank
I've never heard of being able to order the vent part one color while the rest of the seat in another color. That would be pretty cool. Maybe it's one of those things they don't promote but you can get if you ask. I wonder what would make the best combos.

One thing I noticed when shopping for the MY13 ML550 that I now have on order is that the vents make the leather seats look more luxurious and special, and they feel softer, too. Whereas without the pattern they create, the seats look kinda plain (unless you're getting the Designo option). This is perhaps more of the reason I'm ordering the vent seats rather than I expect to make much use out of the vent function in So. Cal.

Are you also getting the multi-contour seats,which are new for MY13?
http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom_...r_seat/details
That is a good point about the looks. I will get black leather so maybe vent seats of any sort will benefit me here in Texas. The enhanced looks would be a bonus. Your link only comes up half way on my screen. It has a beautiful brown leather picture and a description that I can see only half way. What are these multi-contour seats? I don't see them in the order guide for 2013.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM

2008 S63
I have ventilated seats in my 2008 S63 and they work okay. I have driven a friend's 2012 ML with them and they work a little better now. Believe me, they are WORTH IT even thought they aren't "air-conditioned". BTW...I live in Dallas. The best A/C seats I've used are in a 2011 Cayenne.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
That is a good point about the looks. I will get black leather so maybe vent seats of any sort will benefit me here in Texas. The enhanced looks would be a bonus. Your link only comes up half way on my screen. It has a beautiful brown leather picture and a description that I can see only half way. What are these multi-contour seats? I don't see them in the order guide for 2013.
The multi-contuor seats are listed on page 5 of the order guide, which I posted here ( at the bottom of the page):

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...er-info-4.html

To be sure, they are not the Active version.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
I don't think this has been mentioned but the ventilated seats don't blow air at you, they actually suck air from the perforations in the seat. So if you have the AC on, it will suck that cooled air through the seats and thus cool them down.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 AM

2008 Honda CR-V, 2013 ML350 on order
Originally Posted by lboudreau
I don't think this has been mentioned but the ventilated seats don't blow air at you, they actually suck air from the perforations in the seat. So if you have the AC on, it will suck that cooled air through the seats and thus cool them down.
I didn't know that!