M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

New ML350 Bluetec, First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
New ML350 Bluetec, First Impressions

A not-so-brief review of my first day or two with my new ML350BTC… perhaps a bit rambling.

For the last five years I have been driving an R-Class diesel, a 2007 R320. It was a great vehicle in every respect, but with 85K miles, I thought an upgrade would be appropriate. I opted to change to the new ML as the R will no longer be sold in the US. I placed an order back in April, and my dealer (in Virginia) was able to modify an existing order that was in his pipeline to meet my exact specs/desires. They were:

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Iridium Silver
Grey MB TEx
Premium II
Lighting Package
Parktronic w/ parking Assist
Driver Assistance Package.

My assigned build date was June 20th. I was aware that the 20th would be quite close to the end of MY2012 production and I sort of hoped that because it was near the end, some of the components on my car (the dealer refers to it as a "truck") might be MY2013 components… like MBrace2, perforated MBTex upholstery, or the color central display. But alas, none of that happened, and so be it.

I bought the car using the USAA car buying program. MSRP was $62,665 and I paid $56,551. I consider that to be a pretty decent deal. I was VERY pleased with the dealership on every aspect of the transaction from my initial email, until I drove off their driveway in my new ML. They were courteous, professional, and efficient. I am not shilling for them in any way, shape, or form, but it was Mercedes Benz of Arlington… AKA American Service Center.

The car was apparently built on the 20th, the carrier picked it up on the 21st and it was at the dealer on the afternoon of the 22nd. Amazing. I picked it up Saturday the 23rd, two days ago. I drove it around a bit on Saturday, spent Saturday night in Quantico, VA, and got up early on Sunday and drove it 749 miles to my home in Illinois. It was about a 13 hour drive.

Anyway… enough of the background, on to my first impressions accumulated during a day and a half period of driving. On Saturday I put on 60 miles or so. On Sunday it was 749 miles.

MB Tex. Every Mercedes I've ever owned has had leather seats (except for my 1971 220D). I've always liked the feel (and smell) of leather. I deliberately opted for the Tex on this car mainly to save $1620. I looked carefully at the tex and read the comments in forums like this and decided that the Tex would be OK… maybe a little more durable and cleanable. My drive back to IL was on a hot an sunny day, temps on the mid 90's. I had the A/C on for only about half of the trip. The Tex seating was fine. It was NOT uncomfortable or hot. I would say that for the entire trip I was completely unaware of, and oblivious to, to the fact that I was sitting on Tex instead of my beloved leather. There was no downside to it… except for a small one. The leather is more slippery than Tex. After sitting for a couple of hours and it is time to get out of the car… and you twist 90 degrees to the left (or to the right, for those who drive on the "wrong side" of the road … I noticed more friction or resistance to my turning. With the leather in my R320, it was much slipperier (if that is a word). I also recognize that some leather is more suede-like and perhaps less slippery than Tex. In any case, I am so far, glad to have the extra $1620 and would not change it if I could.

Steering. Immediately on driving off in the car for the first time it was quite noticeable that the steering was much lighter than on my previous Benzes. It just felt different. It wasn't better or worse, and it didn't impair your ability to steer the vehicle precisely in the least. It just felt different. Now, the only time I notice it is when I start it up and drive away… for about 30 seconds. Then it becomes normal.

Keyless Go. I like it… although I am still learning about it and I'm not sure yet that I trust it to be locked when I want it to be. I have to look and look again. I'm just not used to it. Using the now old-fashioned "smart key" wasn't particularly difficult.

The cruise control stalk and the turn signal/wipers stalk are now mounted in parallel axes on the left side of the steering wheel. I frequently hit the wrong one. It will be fine once I get used to it.

The COMAND system…whew. I am pretty computer savvy and have owned some decent automobiles with built-in GPS's and smart cruise controls etc., but this package will take more that just "getting-used-to-it." I did spend 13 hours in the car, tinkering all the way. I had to stop a couple of times to look up some things in the manual (on my iPad!) and today I spent some more quality time in the manual trying to understand some of the things that weren't too clear in my mind and just what it was that I was doing during those 13 hours. And… by golly, I think I pretty much have it. During those 13 hours, I was diddling with the GPS, POI's, the radio, the music from a USB device, the bluetooth telephone, the address book (imported from my phone), the various vehicle settings, etc. etc. What makes it all difficult is that it is a bit kludgy, at least until you figure it out. There is the multifunction display in front of the driver (with 7 or so separate menus of choices), the main display in the upper center of the dash (with MANY different menus of many different choices), 12 buttons on the steering wheel, some of which control menus on the multifunction display and some on the main display, 24 buttons on the "center console, upper section" which control a bunch of things. Then you have the "Audio/Comand" controller that works sort of like a joystick or even a mouse. ALL of those things in some way control the radio, the lighting, the locking, the telephone, CD's, GPS, blind spot assist, lane keeping, parking assist, trip computer, etc., etc., etc. Whew… again. I suspect that many owners of vehicles like these will never get their money's worth because they won't invest the time and energy it takes to learn HOW to use it all. Having said all of that, I am pretty happy with it. I spent 13 hours learning about it and probably 5 hours in the manual (some before I picked up the ML, some during my trip and some after the trip). Once you get the hang of it, it is all GOOD STUFF.

Attention Assist. Needless to say… with all of the tinkering I was doing with the gadgetry, i may have drifted out of my lane a time or two. This little feature assumed that I was 'drowsy" and quickly beeped at me and said "Hey, wake-up… you idiot" so-to-speak.

Lane Keeping assistant. Subtle. If you are drifting out of your lane the steering wheel vibrates a little, just a little. Tink…… tink…..tink. At first I thought it was transmitting the lines in the road into my hands.

Blind spot assist. VERY nice.Works as advertised. I experimented as cars were passing me (or while I was passing them) on the right or left side. The red light popped on whenever there was a car in the blind spot. If you hit the turn signal to change lanes… it beeped at you. I didn't then try to move into that lane so I did not experience the automatic braking to pull you back. A GOOD feature.

Distronic Plus Cruise control. Fantastic. When driving the interstate in fairly heavy, fast moving traffic, you have to constantly flick your cruise control up or down to maintain safe and proper intervals. Distronic does it for you…. and uses the brakes (sometimes aggressively) to help. A VERY nice option.

Lighting package… haven't driven it at night yet.

Fuel economy. EXCELLENT. I have absolutely accurate data from the trip. I filled the tank to the very top of the filler neck (and that takes a while with foamy diesel fuel) on Saturday afternoon. I drove it for 44 miles after that in what would definitely be called "city" driving conditions… slow, stop and go. The next morning I departed Quantico and drove for 480 miles (all "highway" driving") until I refueled (I again refueled it to the top of the filler neck). That meant I had driven on that tank of fuel for 524 miles. The vehicle trip computer reported an average of 31.3 mpg. I divided the gallons filled into 524 and it came up with 29.48 mpg. Much of that driving was in hilly conditions on the PA Turnpike (from Breezewood to OH). My own driving wasn't aggressive… probably averaged around 65 mph. I was alone in the car without any load.

The legroom in the back seat is a bit disappointing. I am a tall person and like my seat pretty much all the way back. In that case there is almost not enough room for a rear seat passenger to sit behind me. I'd have to move myself forward to accommodate them.

All-in-all I am VERY pleased with this car. Drives and handles superbly. Comfortable, quiet and smooth…. and gives you a feeling of confidence and stability. It's a keeper.

Al in Illinois
Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
nice review, glad that you are satisfied with your purchase!

Does your shave airmatic or springs? how did you find the comfortability of the car?
Im still waiting for ours. June build september delivery.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Very good review. I have had my ML350 for three weeks and I'm just now getting to learn it all to where I am comfortable. I think Command could have been more intuitive in many areas but as you point out, it is fine once you get use to it. The navigator is not nearly as good as Garmin products but only because Garmin has better maps. The navigator in the ML350 can't find many of the back roads out here in the sticks where I live, whereas the Garmin finds them all. In the city they both are equal with finding points of interest and streets. I have noticed that in many cases the ML350's navigator finds some of the back roads but the message is shown that it is off mapped route. When that happens, the voice route instructions are disabled.

Mine is the gas version and in Diamond white which I really love. I have some of the features you have, including the lighting package and the Premium II (which I wanted mostly for the radio upgrade). Wait until you turn the lights on! You will be very happy that you opted for the lighting package. Put lights in auto mode and they control themselves totally. If you live in deer country and drive back roads a lot you will especially love this feature. I like the blind spot assist too - a lot!, but I don't really feel the wheel vibration when I pass over a line. It is either very light or not working. Either way I don't care as I don't want that feature because I consider it an intrusion. Out here in the country I run too many narrow back roads to fool with something like that. Besides, I want total control of the vehicle at all times without it telling me I may be doing something wrong, for better or worse.

The only real negative I found are the running boards. They really don't add to the look and it makes getting in and out more difficult, not easier. They are too narrow for me to use as a step which means I have to "reach" over them getting in and out. I wish I did not have them. Anyway, enjoy your new ride - I'm sure enjoying mine!!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by shortspark
The only real negative I found are the running boards. They really don't add to the look and it makes getting in and out more difficult, not easier. They are too narrow for me to use as a step which means I have to "reach" over them getting in and out. I wish I did not have them.
I noticed this when I was test drove the ML and also the same for the Porsche Cayenne... both kept digging into the back of my leg every time I got out of the car.. I will remove that from options list as I can use that £490 on another option.. apart from that, I am looking forward to confirming my order...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Great review Al and congrats on your new ML. I agree with most of your comments, especially about distronic and blind spot warning system, both of which are excellent.

Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by rexgold
I noticed this when I was test drove the ML and also the same for the Porsche Cayenne... both kept digging into the back of my leg every time I got out of the car.. I will remove that from options list as I can use that £490 on another option.. apart from that, I am looking forward to confirming my order...
Smart decision. Some people might like the running boards but as you noticed, I feel they just get in the way too. The vehicle I wanted was coming off the assembly line (I did not order it but they found one like I wanted that was suppose to go to another dealer). The only things it had extra that I would not have ordered were the heated steering wheel, running boards and wheel locks but I can live with those things. The only thing I probably would have ordered extra was the hitch only because it provides an extra measure of protection in a rear end collision. I don't have a trailer or tow anything but it was a cheap option and at least I would have it if I ever needed it. I would gladly have traded the running boards for the hitch even if I never used it. I assume you are ordering a 2013? What did you get and when is it expected to be built?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
in Reply to BlackSL... Unfortunately I do not have AirMatic. Airmatic was only available here as a part of the "Dynamic Handling Package" with a hefty price tag of $5150 USD. I would have bought the air suspension if it weren't so expensive. That package price did include 20 inch wheels and tires, adaptive damping, and the active curve option.

I did find the car to be quite comfortable. When I first sat in it, the seats felt a bit firmer than my R320 and I was concerned how they would feel after a couple of hours. Thirteen hours later, the seats were fine; quite comfortable. The other elements of "comfort" such as heat, humidity, etc. were easily handled by the car... although it was not an excessively hot or humid day.

Al
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Smart decision. Some people might like the running boards but as you noticed, I feel they just get in the way too. The vehicle I wanted was coming off the assembly line (I did not order it but they found one like I wanted that was suppose to go to another dealer). The only things it had extra that I would not have ordered were the heated steering wheel, running boards and wheel locks but I can live with those things. The only thing I probably would have ordered extra was the hitch only because it provides an extra measure of protection in a rear end collision. I don't have a trailer or tow anything but it was a cheap option and at least I would have it if I ever needed it. I would gladly have traded the running boards for the hitch even if I never used it. I assume you are ordering a 2013? What did you get and when is it expected to be built?
I am going to pick up a demo car on thursday for a day to keep to see what I like/don't like.... my likely combo is going to be the following

350ML Diesel Blutec
Diamond White
Almond/Black leather
Anthracite Wood trim
21"/20" Wheels Not sure which ones yet
Airmatic
HK Sound
Panoramic Sunroof
Blind Spot/Lane Tracking
Intelligent Light System
Reversing Camera
Command
Ambient Lighting
Artico Leather on Dash
Memory package
Front/Rear Heated seats

As I am placing the order this Friday, I would expect the delivery to be sometime in Oct so hoping it will be 2013 model...
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

2017 CLS550
Yes, I'm sure it will be a 2013. That is a terrific package you have going. I hope you like your demo and order this as I'm sure it will be a real beauty. There is nothing like Diamond White and it was the color I just had to have. But no lighting package? You show "Intelligent light system" so that may be the same thing. If it is not, you should at least consider the lighting package as I think it is the best option on the ML350.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Yes, I'm sure it will be a 2013. That is a terrific package you have going. I hope you like your demo and order this as I'm sure it will be a real beauty. There is nothing like Diamond White and it was the color I just had to have. But no lighting package? You show "Intelligent light system" so that may be the same thing. If it is not, you should at least consider the lighting package as I think it is the best option on the ML350.
IF that is Lighting package is Xenon lights and the auto light management, then yes that is what it is called here in the UK..
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by rexgold
IF that is Lighting package is Xenon lights and the auto light management, then yes that is what it is called here in the UK..
Yes, that's it. You'll love it. I will never have another vehicle without the Xenon system.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
Great, my wife's car (diamond white with amg exterior) is arriving in sept, springs. Coming from a GL500 I was worried about the non airmatic option. We've had airmatic in all our cars so good to know spring is also comfortable.

Running boards is a good accessories for my kids to get in and out, 3 yrs old and 1.5!

Can't wait for he ML to arrive.