M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Smell when starting AC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300
Originally Posted by 300DTurbo
That's the MB signature smell. All MB's have it, even my 300D has it! ML with 5k miles has it... Even my neighbor's AMG S63 has it. Certain people notice it differently. I find it some-what comforting.
You must be a service advisor for mercedes, you sound just like them!!! IDGAF who drives what, where or how they interpret the smell, the fact of the matter is that this smell is a result of a poorly designed hvac system!!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
I’ve never had this issue with my ‘12 ML; did a little with my ‘08. I think it’s highly related to local conditions. More likely in humid areas.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Tahoeoz
I’m having the same problem since the day I drove off the lot. It’s been in the shop three times and I still have the same horrible smell. It’s beyond ridiculous I am going to hire an attorney to get out of this lemon. No water drips out while the AC is on I think it is collecting somewhere and its creating mold. Someone needs to bring this to light I'm getting sick head aches everyday now. I have never had this problem with any other car I've owned Mercedes-Benz for 20 years and this has never happened before.

We're you able to get out of this problem? Currently going through same!!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Newer had this, Temp control aways in Auto, and newer in recirculation. Leaving in sunny Seattle, WA.
Dust filter changes every 10K and cabin filters every 15K.

PS. My wife's car, not MB had this once, had to turn fan full speed and used Lysol cleaner run and sprayed for about 30 mins.
Replaced cabin filter, so far so good been a year now.

Agreed, MB had design problem, but looks like its climate dependent otherwise we would see so many claims and recall.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by DanD.
Newer had this, Temp control aways in Auto, and newer in recirculation. Leaving in sunny Seattle, WA.
Dust filter changes every 10K and cabin filters every 15K.

PS. My wife's car, not MB had this once, had to turn fan full speed and used Lysol cleaner run and sprayed for about 30 mins.
Replaced cabin filter, so far so good been a year now.

Agreed, MB had design problem, but looks like its climate dependent otherwise we would see so many claims and recall.
I purchased my glc brand new off the lot, smell started at 3rd month. I live in the driest desert of all. Filters have been changed, cleaners have been sprayed, all by dealer. Smell has never gone away. My ac runs on auto, with fresh air intake on. My headliner reaks, my kids car seats reak, my mats even smell. I've had my vehicle for less than 6 months.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I’ve never had this issue with my ‘12 ML; did a little with my ‘08. I think it’s highly related to local conditions. More likely in humid areas.
I purchased my glc brand new off the lot, smell started at 3rd month. I live in the driest desert of all. Filters have been changed, cleaners have been sprayed, all by dealer. Smell has never gone away. My ac runs on auto, with fresh air intake on. My headliner reaks, my kids car seats reak, my mats even smell. I've had my vehicle for less than 6 months.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 ML350 4MATIC
So, while my service history said the dealership performed the LI83.30-P-059119, the smell still persists because that bulletin's theory is "Oxidation products of the cavity preservation can enter the interior compartment via the air conditioning". We all know that IS NOT the case....it's the mold/mildew forming on the evaporator.
Therefore, I just stopped into the dealership to inquite about them performing service bulletin LI00.00-P-066047 (which includes re-programing the climate fan to come on after 3 min instead of 1 hr), and they want to charge me $660.00...just to update the climate control software.
That's outrageous!
I even have an extended warranty.
It's like Mercedes actually WANTS to lose a customer for life.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
That's ridiculous. If there's a service bulletin for it, how can they justify charging you for it?
Stir ***** 'till they cave.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
To be honest it could just simply be mold. Back when I was in college I had a similar issue with my Honda Accord. I took it to the dealership and they simply put my windows down, cranked the AC and the fan on full blast and sprayed lysol from the outside near the wipers where the air goes into the AC unit. It surprisingly got rid of the smell. With that said, try doing the same with your car. I still do it to my other cars every now and then. Just remember to keep ur windows down for a maybe 10 minutes and have the AC and fan on full blast after you spray the lysol that way the chemical smell leaves ur ventilation system and ur cabin. Hope this helps, keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
It absolutely IS mold…..there’s no question about it. The service bulletins that have them take apart your whole interior and plug-up and seal various holes in the body, do absolutely nothing. It’s simply mold growth on the evaporator.
And I highly recommend removing all the filters, before spraying any cleaner into the system.

Has anyone had the dealership re-program their climate fan (to turn on after 3min in lieu of the default 1hr)? Does anyone know how much they should charge for that service?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
So, after reading the extended Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty...
It states the following is covered under electrical items:
"....sending units,sensors,switches,fuse boxes,relay modules,control modules,transmitters,instrument panel,gauges,rheostats,potentiometers,blower motor series...."

Therefore, wouldn't the procedure of "Updating the latest software for the air conditioning control unit" (from bulletin LI00.00-P-066047), including changing the values for the drying time of the evaporator be covered under the "control modules" part of the warranty?
And under the Climate Control section, it states: "All electrical components noted above,as well as the A/C compressor and clutch,receiver/drier bottle,refrigerant hoses and connections,evaporator,expansion valve,condenser,rear vent control cables,vacuum actuators,all vacuum valves and elements,auxiliary cooling pump,cold engine lock-out switch,temperature selector wheel,servo unit,monovalve,dualvalve,switch over valve,heater core and heater housing assembly.

Unfortunately...I think I'm going to have to fight this. I guess I'll call the 1-800-367-6372 number.