M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Pulled the trigger on a ML550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Pulled the trigger on a ML550

After a few weeks of researching and test drove a few different SUVs, I went back to my local MB dealership and placed an order on a 2013 ML550. I didn't think I need to test drove the BlueTec after reading the experiences of some members like 2012MLBlue and others. When we were placing the order on the computer, I think we got a little "clicking" happy with the mouse. MSRP came to be around 78K.

Today, I noticed that I am missing some options, but I really don't want to bump up the price up anymore. If I really want those options later, I can have the dealer install it later (at a higher price of course). Anyways, I was told that they will have it around 6-8 weeks. I will be happy with that delivery date after reading delays on this forum.

Anyways, it was kinda weird that we didn't even negotiate on the price. I know a few people placed orders on this forum and want to see what's your experience. Did you talk about specifics or even "ballpark" about the price? By placing an order and not dealing with a car on the lot, do you have less negotiation power? This is the worse part of buying a new car, but I know that I will love this car!

I guess some people are curious about this order, so here's a summary: Iridium Silver Metallic, Black leather, P1 package, Lighting package, Driver assistance package, Parktronic, AIRMATIC package, 20" AMG, HK sound, Keyless-Go, etc.. I hope to document my first MB experience and post pictures/videos later. I think I might start a blog!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
The diesel problem is not common nor is the problems with the gas engine.
However there is not enough 550 out there to compare I guess
What else can you add thatt wont be near impossible to add later?????
That may be you clue never sell your self short of an option especially one thats more expensive later.

Dealer has no cost yet for an ordered vehicle so might be willing to deal however when on the lot they dont want to keep paying interest on it either.

Last edited by dougiebear; 09-03-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML550; 2018 C43 AMG; 2016 Porsche GT4
I can't imagine ordering a vehicle without finalizing a price before committing. Dealers have the MY13 pricing guide now. I contracted at $4k under MSRP. Others have probably done a bit better.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM

'13 ML550, '08 ML320cdi (retired) & '99 ML320 (retired)
Congratulations! ... I think. I ordered my 550 without driving not only the 550 but any of the 2012-2013 models. It just sounded so good on paper.

After owning a stripped '99 and a loaded '08, I had an idea what I wanted on this one. I skipped the assistance packages, including parktronic. Less electronics to go haywire, I hope. In addition to the leather, 20" wheels, and lighting package, I went with the contour seats with ventilation (hot Houston days). I have the air suspension on my current ML, but decided to try the standard suspension on this one. It's gone from 3 settings to 2, I believe. Verify that you have the passenger seat memory, it's a separate option this year.

Due to the difficulty locating a 550, I jumped on an allocation for November delivery although it was almost MSRP. The best offer I found was 2% above invoice, but 200 miles away and an uncertain delivery date. I figured a couple of percent would not make such a difference as long as I could get exactly what I wanted. Mine carried an MSRP of just under $73,000.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by dougiebear
The diesel problem is not common nor is the problems with the gas engine.
However there is not enough 550 out there to compare I guess
What else can you add thatt wont be near impossible to add later?????
That may be you clue never sell your self short of an option especially one thats more expensive later.

Dealer has no cost yet for an ordered vehicle so might be willing to deal however when on the lot they dont want to keep paying interest on it either.
I was thinking of options that the dealership could add later like the rear entertainment system or iPad holder (Prewiring is necessary) and the AMG door pins. Stuff that I can live without and not need the factory to install.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by LoneStarFlyer
I can't imagine ordering a vehicle without finalizing a price before committing. Dealers have the MY13 pricing guide now. I contracted at $4k under MSRP. Others have probably done a bit better.
Wow, that's a great deal! Just curious, when people mention a price on this forum, is that before tax, license, and title OR walk out price (which includes everything)? It's a big difference on the ML (approx. ~5k).
Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
When people mention price it is usually before fees. I don't think I have seen anyone mention price with fees in this forum.

The dealer probably didn't negotiate price because he figured you were a lay down and are going to pay MSRP since you didn't even bring up a different price. You saw the price and did not object. Why should he discount without you asking for it. You will be surprised by how many buyers pay MSRP because they don't want to even go through the nego process.

I had dealers tell me that they cannot set a deal in place at time of order. Pure BS. The line they tried was, "I don't know market conditions at time of delivery, but I assure you that I never lost a sale over price." Here's the thing, once the one-of-a-kind ML arrives I have zero nego power. I waited 60-180 days for the car to get here and I don't want to leave without it.

I negotiated a deal of $X under invoice, plus incentives (conquest, cash, rebate, etc) at time of delivery, and no points or fees on financing from a dealer that vets as trustworthy. Luckily I live in a very competitive auto market and have 20 dealers within a 60 min drive.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by 27trout
When people mention price it is usually before fees. I don't think I have seen anyone mention price with fees in this forum.

The dealer probably didn't negotiate price because he figured you were a lay down and are going to pay MSRP since you didn't even bring up a different price. You saw the price and did not object. Why should he discount without you asking for it. You will be surprised by how many buyers pay MSRP because they don't want to even go through the nego process.

I had dealers tell me that they cannot set a deal in place at time of order. Pure BS. The line they tried was, "I don't know market conditions at time of delivery, but I assure you that I never lost a sale over price." Here's the thing, once the one-of-a-kind ML arrives I have zero nego power. I waited 60-180 days for the car to get here and I don't want to leave without it.

I negotiated a deal of $X under invoice, plus incentives (conquest, cash, rebate, etc) at time of delivery, and no points or fees on financing from a dealer that vets as trustworthy. Luckily I live in a very competitive auto market and have 20 dealers within a 60 min drive.
27trout is right on. While it is difficult to arrive at a price since the incentives may be different when your ML comes in, don't settle for that lame excuse. You can ask for a $$$ amount under invoice or percent off MSRP (7% off is typically understood as invoice), as well as then add whatever extra incentives, like Conquest, are available at the time it comes in.

On a nearly fully-loaded ML550, I've been offered as much as $1,500 under invoice and 9.2% under MSRP (which included $1000 in Conquest). And dealers are willing to do this prior to you plunking down your deposit...but only after you tell them that this is what another dealer has offered you. And don't limit yourself to just your local dealer, contact the internet or fleet sales manager in a major MB market, like So. Cal. Shipping an ML from another state doesn't cost as much as you might think...maybe $600-$700. Remember, MB pays dealers 3% to help defray the cost of having the car on their lot until it sells. When you order it, that 3% becomes all profit. Check out Carwoo.com...its a very cool anonymous bidding service....it will show you all the dealers in a particular geographic area around a certain zip code who are willing to deal.

Also, if you are planning to finance it through MB Finance, tell them that upfront. That could me an additional few hundred dollars they get kicked back to them, which can help them justify giving you a great deal. But don't negotiate on a monthly payment...always the sales price.

Good luck!

Last edited by gplank; 09-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by gplank
27trout is right on. While it is difficult to arrive at a price since the incentives may be different when your ML comes in, don't settle for that lame excuse. You can ask for a $$$ amount under invoice or percent off MSRP (7% off is typically understood as invoice), as well as then add whatever extra incentives, like Conquest, are available at the time it comes in.

On a nearly fully-loaded ML550, I've been offered as much as $1,500 under invoice and 9.2% under MSRP (which included $1000 in Conquest). And dealers are willing to do this prior to you plunking down your deposit...but only after you tell them that this is what another dealer has offered you. And don't limit yourself to just your local dealer, contact the internet or fleet sales manager in a major MB market, like So. Cal. Shipping an ML from another state doesn't cost as much as you might think...maybe $600-$700. Remember, MB pays dealers 3% to help defray the cost of having the car on their lot until it sells. When you order it, that 3% becomes all profit. Check out Carwoo.com...its a very cool anonymous bidding service....it will show you all the dealers in a particular geographic area around a certain zip code who are willing to deal.

Also, if you are planning to finance it through MB Finance, tell them that upfront. That could me an additional few hundred dollars they get kicked back to them, which can help them justify giving you a great deal. But don't negotiate on a monthly payment...always the sales price.

Good luck!
Thanks gplank, I will probably drop by the dealership to talk with the salesperson. After negotiation, I will have to deal with the finance part as well. I tried to go to my credit union and got about 4.5% interest. I was hoping to find something better. Does the MB Winter Event usually have better deals?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM

X5
Originally Posted by GTscrub
After a few weeks of researching and test drove a few different SUVs, I went back to my local MB dealership and placed an order on a 2013 ML550. I didn't think I need to test drove the BlueTec after reading the experiences of some members like 2012MLBlue and others. When we were placing the order on the computer, I think we got a little "clicking" happy with the mouse. MSRP came to be around 78K.

Today, I noticed that I am missing some options, but I really don't want to bump up the price up anymore. If I really want those options later, I can have the dealer install it later (at a higher price of course). Anyways, I was told that they will have it around 6-8 weeks. I will be happy with that delivery date after reading delays on this forum.

Anyways, it was kinda weird that we didn't even negotiate on the price. I know a few people placed orders on this forum and want to see what's your experience. Did you talk about specifics or even "ballpark" about the price? By placing an order and not dealing with a car on the lot, do you have less negotiation power? This is the worse part of buying a new car, but I know that I will love this car!

I guess some people are curious about this order, so here's a summary: Iridium Silver Metallic, Black leather, P1 package, Lighting package, Driver assistance package, Parktronic, AIRMATIC package, 20" AMG, HK sound, Keyless-Go, etc.. I hope to document my first MB experience and post pictures/videos later. I think I might start a blog!
So you bought car at MSRP price?

Why not look at GL for the same price range of $78k?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by CraigL
So you bought car at MSRP price?

Why not look at GL for the same price range of $78k?
Nope, not yet.. I just ordered it..

hmmm, I like the new GL but the GL550 will cost much more and I don't really need the extra space. I'm a single guy and I personally think the ML makes me look young while the GL is something when I have a family with kids.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 AM

Thanks gplank, I will probably drop by the dealership to talk with the salesperson. After negotiation, I will have to deal with the finance part as well. I tried to go to my credit union and got about 4.5% interest. I was hoping to find something better. Does the MB Winter Event usually have better deals?
4.5%? Join Penfed, the federal credit union: https://www.penfed.org/New-Auto-Loan/ 1.49% APR* up to 60 months 3.49% APR* for 61-72 months Up to 100% financing available
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM

X5
Nope, not yet.. I just ordered it..

hmmm, I like the new GL but the GL550 will cost much more and I don't really need the extra space. I'm a single guy and I personally think the ML makes me look young while the GL is something when I have a family with kids.
Oh ok, but I wouldn't order the car without agreed on final price. So you are going back to negotiate the price after putting order in.

I'm between GL and ML. I do have kids and looking at both cars.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM

gl550
Angry 2013 bluetec airmatic.

does anyone know for sure why on road off road is not available? i wanted to order it along with active curve. seemed like it would make a great road car.

now it appears that any form of airmatic is unavailable on the bluetec.

it looks like the only way to get those two options is to buy a gl or ml63. i already have an 09 gl550 which i am going to keep. Thought that a tricked up diesel road car would be cool. now i don't know what i am going to do. it will not be a second gl and as much as i would like an ml63 that isnt going to happen either. i was going to write a check until i found out i couldn't order what i wanted.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bubbavorenkamp
does anyone know for sure why on road off road is not available? i wanted to order it along with active curve. seemed like it would make a great road car.

now it appears that any form of airmatic is unavailable on the bluetec.

it looks like the only way to get those two options is to buy a gl or ml63. i already have an 09 gl550 which i am going to keep. Thought that a tricked up diesel road car would be cool. now i don't know what i am going to do. it will not be a second gl and as much as i would like an ml63 that isnt going to happen either. i was going to write a check until i found out i couldn't order what i wanted.
if that is truly the case, I would guess the reason for that is because of space limitations. The space needed for the system that cleans the diesel exhaust takes up the space for these options. But you can get them together on the regular ML350 and ML550...you don't need to go to an ML63 to get AIRMATIC, Active Curve System and Off Road System all together. However, I have seen the MB ordering system try to do this with some difficultly, so to do it, the inventory manager just needs to add these items in a certain order.

I have AIRMATIC and Active Curve ordered on my ML550, but they could not add the lockable storage compartment. We guess because the hardware installed for those options takes the place of it.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 AM

BMW 320d M sport
US soooo cheap

[QUOTE=GTscrub;5344253]After a few weeks of researching and test drove a few different SUVs, I went back to my local MB dealership and placed an order on a 2013 ML550. I didn't think I need to test drove the BlueTec after reading the experiences of some members like 2012MLBlue and others. When we were placing the order on the computer, I think we got a little "clicking" happy with the mouse. MSRP came to be around 78K.

78k.....for an ML550 .........! BE VERY HAPPY

Just pulled the pin and ordered a 2013 ML350 bluetec for delivery january 2013. Here in Australia we have to pay 115k and our dollar is worth more than the US $. Go figure

Lee
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Originally Posted by gplank
if that is truly the case, I would guess the reason for that is because of space limitations. The space needed for the system that cleans the diesel exhaust takes up the space for these options.
Its only a matter of the MBUSA politics, not under car space.

My ML350 BlueTec has Airmatic and OnOff Road pack among other goodies. And the DPF is also included.

Only problem is the delivery time. It was built last month but I will not see it until October 24 (hopefully).
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by Leethal
78k.....for an ML550 .........! BE VERY HAPPY

Just pulled the pin and ordered a 2013 ML350 bluetec for delivery january 2013. Here in Australia we have to pay 115k and our dollar is worth more than the US $. Go figure

Lee
Haha, thanks Lee. That's just the MSRP, so I'm not sure how much after tax and fees. But I'm still sure it won't be 115K.

But yea, I was talking with my girlfriend again about my order and she mentioned a really good point. "You can get two really nice cars with that money. One for me and one for you. OR you can get four decent cars for that price: me, you, and both your parents. "

She's so funny.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
What do you want?

4 cars that can be driven?
2 cars that are nice to drive?
or one that you love to drive....

For that money you could also buy the entire stock from a small dealers yard, have an endless choice of colours pay heaps in registration and insurance, and if one broke down, you could park it and catch a cab.

No, I will spend the hard earned and enjoy it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by iankayem
What do you want?

4 cars that can be driven?
2 cars that are nice to drive?
or one that you love to drive....

For that money you could also buy the entire stock from a small dealers yard, have an endless choice of colours pay heaps in registration and insurance, and if one broke down, you could park it and catch a cab.

No, I will spend the hard earned and enjoy it.
Thanks for backing me up. I told her, "You know how I'm a one woman man? Well, I'm a one car man as well." Haha..

Each morning I go to work, I have this two mile stretch that's 55 MPH.. I want to start my morning with a lil rush.. I'm kinda jealous of that new highway near Austin, Texas that's gonna be 85 MPH.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM

2013 ML550
Update: Placed order on 9/1 with built date of 10/21 now. I should be able to pick up by Halloween?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Halloween 2013?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Mine came off line July 30 and its still in the Marshalling yard in Alabama. Near the about 2300 others waiting to ship or to be finished with missing parts. Sorry for laughing I didn't know a gouhlish cry. Wish you well perhaps urs will slip thru with no shortages.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM

2013 ML550
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Halloween 2013?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Mine came off line July 30 and its still in the Marshalling yard in Alabama. Near the about 2300 others waiting to ship or to be finished with missing parts. Sorry for laughing I didn't know a gouhlish cry. Wish you well perhaps urs will slip thru with no shortages.
Are you serious? Does it matter if its gas or diesel?

I need this car before Thanksgiving and definitely before Christmas! Maybe it is a blessing in disguise? So I can take advantage of any MB Winter Event special?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
I'm hoping for a rate reduction for Oct. All engines Certain options like pana roof "leather" multicontour seats are biggies.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM

2013 ML550
I'm hoping for a rate reduction for Oct. All engines Certain options like pana roof "leather" multicontour seats are biggies.
Does anyone know when the Winter Event usually start?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a ML550