Running Boards Myth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Running Boards Myth?

Myth: Running Boards = Dirty Pants. No Running Boards = Clean Pants.

I don't think the belief by many here that running boards dirty your pant leg more than an ML without them is true.

The ML without running boards have protruding side sills are not covered by the door when closed so they are exposed to the elements. And when you exit you have no choice but to rub your leg against the side sills creating the same result.

There are other cars that cover the side sills with a closed door or the side sills are recessed/angled inwards. Neither is the case in the ML. So running boards or not, you still wipe the outside of the car with you leg exiting.

My experience is living in SoCal, and for the most part, the cars here just get dusty. I wonder if it is different in more inclement weather areas and if there is more build up/dirt on the RBs than side sills.

Then again, I imagine if living in inclement areas the RBs will help avoiding having to stepping in the muck.

The aesthetics are subjective. I strongly prefer them with. And it seems the board here is split with that regard. To each his own but I'm interested in others real world experience and objective reporting with the RBs and without.

Last edited by 27T; 09-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
That's one of the first things I noticed on the test drive. That vehicle had the boards on it. My Acura MDX sat lower than the ML such that I basically slid in and out. In this vehicle I step up just a bit. So when getting out after the test drive, putting my left leg out, I rubbed against the board. Now on my ML, I'm still waiting to have them installed and I don't remember rubbing once against the side sills.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I don't know about the pants getting dirty. I live in Texas and bought my ML the end of May and have never worn pants in this vehicle, only shorts. I don't scrape my leg on the running boards because I sort of reach over them getting in and out - I never put my foot on them because they are too narrow. Because they are so narrow and not suitable to step on (except for women and children perhaps) I find them useless.

The appearance factor is not a big one with me one way or the other but I really don't think it adds to it. My ML came with the boards, as did a heated steering wheel which is another thing I did not want, especially here in Texas. But these were minor issues since it was the only ML I could find anywhere that had all the other things I really wanted and in the exact color I wanted. Bottom line is I would not pay to have them put on or special order them. But since I have them, I can live with them.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Well all I can say is that it is not a myth when you are 5 feet 4 tall.. my wife found that every time she got out of the car, it hit the back of her leg just above the ankle... I also found the same. It is what each person finds is comfortable. Here is the UK, we have very rainy climate and it would be a pain to get your trouser wet. I took the option of Running boards off. Saved me £450.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
The running boards stick out an extra 3-4" from the standard sills. You're much more likely to rub against them unless you step on them to get into/out of the vehicle.

Appearance is subjective. To me, they appear ugly. Does Porsche offer boards on the Cayenne?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Does Porsche offer boards on the Cayenne?
Yes, listed but not shown here:
Attached Thumbnails Running Boards Myth?-cayenne-running-boards.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
27T

13ML BT
The running boards stick out an extra 3-4" from the standard sills. You're much more likely to rub against them unless you step on them to get into/out of the vehicle.
When you exit non-rb equipped MLs does your leg rub against the sill?

It does for me and everyone in the car that has conducted this "experiment" that I've tried it with when test driving.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM
27T

13ML BT
The above post is pretty much for everyone without RBs. Start noticing if your leg rubs against the sill when exiting. I'm curious for the results.

Anyone with the AMG sills will find it even more difficult to not rub because they protrude even farther than the non-AMG sills.

Last edited by 27T; 09-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
At 5-8 I can't miss the boards unless I actively avoid them and that's way to hard on my knees. Haven't noticed rubbing the sill in an ML with normal exit. But if your team touches the sill they would scrape the boards right? I guess R Boards look good on US 350s but I would put that $ toward a Brabus Kit or MB twist sills. Just me all the best in what ever You choose. :o)
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by 27trout
When you exit non-rb equipped MLs does your leg rub against the sill?

It does for me and everyone in the car that has conducted this "experiment" that I've tried it with when test driving.
I never had a problem when I had my ML (no boards, AMG rockers), but I also had AIRMATIC so the truck sat lower.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Leg sill rub on exiting

The above post is pretty much for everyone without RBs. Start noticing if your leg rubs against the sill when exiting. I'm curious for the results.

Anyone with the AMG sills will find it even more difficult to not rub because they protrude even farther than the non-AMG sills.
You are correct unless you are 6'-6" or learn the stretch move to avoid that (once it starts raining here in Oregon and I'm wearing slacks I will be conscious of that). I believe side impact standards plus the height of the vehicle causes this. That being said, unless you actually use the running board as a step when exiting, it's just that much worse.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 09-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera

Appearance is subjective. To me, they appear ugly. Does Porsche offer boards on the Cayenne?
I experienced this with the Cayenne.. I borrowed it for a day to test drive and experienced the same with it.. the RB got in the way so my order would have been without the RB...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rexgold
I experienced this with the Cayenne.. I borrowed it for a day to test drive and experienced the same with it.. the RB got in the way so my order would have been without the RB...
I've never seen a Cayenne with them, but I think it would look goofy.

Likewise for the Lexus RX - terrible "truck" but moms love it and no boards. I don't imagine the step-in height of the RX is much more than the W166.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cayenne running boards

I've never seen a Cayenne with them, but I think it would look goofy.
You're right! Actually, there are some better looking ones.
Attached Thumbnails Running Boards Myth?-cayenne-running-boards.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You're right! Actually, there are some better looking ones.

Those are worse than I expected!! I hope those aren't OEM!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those are worse than I expected!! I hope those aren't OEM!
Well, it's off the Porsche pre-owned website.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You are correct unless you are 6'-6" or learn the stretch move to avoid that (once it starts raining here in Oregon and I'm wearing slacks I will be conscious of that). I believe side impact standards plus the height of the vehicle causes this. That being said, unless you actually use the running board as a step when exiting, it's just that much worse.
My thoughts exactly. I'm 6'3 and it was very difficult to avoid rubbing the standard US sill with my leg. It was far worse for the shorter passengers. But with the running boards I was able to avoid making contact with leg by using the RB to rest my foot arch when exiting.

I agree with your point that if you exit and don't use the RB as a step than you will get dirtier compared to no RBs. But without RBs you will almost be assured to get dirty.

One way for MB to get around this is to design the door to cover the sill and have anything below it angle inwards as some other cars do. It is an interesting design point that I now look at on cars in general.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:06 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by skw
That's one of the first things I noticed on the test drive. That vehicle had the boards on it. My Acura MDX sat lower than the ML such that I basically slid in and out. In this vehicle I step up just a bit. So when getting out after the test drive, putting my left leg out, I rubbed against the board. Now on my ML, I'm still waiting to have them installed and I don't remember rubbing once against the side sills.
If you have a chance, try exiting an ML with sills only and pay close attention if you rub against it.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by rexgold
Well all I can say is that it is not a myth when you are 5 feet 4 tall.. my wife found that every time she got out of the car, it hit the back of her leg just above the ankle... I also found the same. It is what each person finds is comfortable. Here is the UK, we have very rainy climate and it would be a pain to get your trouser wet. I took the option of Running boards off. Saved me £450.
The point I was trying to make is that you will still rub your leg against the sill even if you don't have the RBs.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by shortspark
I don't know about the pants getting dirty. I live in Texas and bought my ML the end of May and have never worn pants in this vehicle, only shorts. I don't scrape my leg on the running boards because I sort of reach over them getting in and out - I never put my foot on them because they are too narrow. Because they are so narrow and not suitable to step on (except for women and children perhaps) I find them useless.

The appearance factor is not a big one with me one way or the other but I really don't think it adds to it. My ML came with the boards, as did a heated steering wheel which is another thing I did not want, especially here in Texas. But these were minor issues since it was the only ML I could find anywhere that had all the other things I really wanted and in the exact color I wanted. Bottom line is I would not pay to have them put on or special order them. But since I have them, I can live with them.
That sounds like quite a feat. I'd eventually pull something doing that every time.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
You are right. Even without the RB, I rub my pants on exiting the vehicle. I am 5ft10in. With the 20in wheels the truck sits high and I really have to contort myself not to touch the sill when I exit the truck.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
That sounds like quite a feat. I'd eventually pull something doing that every time.
No, not at all. I find more difficult getting in and out by stepping on them.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just had a convo with a mom who previously drove a W166 with running boards and is now driving one without.

She says it's great without the boards because she can lean into the vehicle to get her kids (3 and 2 yrs old) strapped in without getting her pants dirty. With the boards, she couldn't get close enough without leaning against them. FWIW, this was an unprompted convo.

And the AMG sills don't stick out any appreciable amount further than the standard sills.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
From these conflicting reports, there seems to be a few factors involved whether or not the running boards will dirty your pant leg:

1) You're leg length: if you're tall, your leg naturally reaches out further when getting in or out. But if you have shorter legs, then you're more likely to touch it.

2) If you have AIRMATIC (MLs with AIRMATIC sit lower when stationary): When the car is lower to the ground, it is less likely the inside of your leg will touch the running board. I believe ML63s may sit even a smidgen lower.

3) Drive in an area where the running boards are prone to accumulate dirt, mud, etc. If you drive around So. Cal., for example, where it rarely rains, you might not be bothered as much.

One other thing: my dealer also recently told me about issues they are having with the newer (2012+) running boards that have the egg-shaped rubber 'grippers' on the top surface. These have a tendency to come off, he says, unlike the previous design. Although the newer design is supposedly less protruding than the older, so less likely to touch your leg.

In any case, running boards remind me of having training wheels when I was a kid. I think they also make the ML look more feminine. While they're not bad looking, I prefer the 'twist bars' on the AMG body style. So, once my ML550 arrives with the standard running boards, I'm immediately swapping them out with the twist bars at an estimated cost of about $1,200.

ML350 (non-AMG trim) with running boards:

ML350 non-AMG trim without running boards:

ML550, AMG trim, with running boards:

AMG trim without running boards ('twist bars' instead):

AMG trim without running boards ('twist bars' instead. Note this ML350 with the AMG kit is only available outside of the US, i.e, Canada):

Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Then hopefully my car will look like that last picture.. I have gone for White 350 with full AMG Sport pack and 21" wheels...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Running Boards Myth?