M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Bad Front Passenger Seat Controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550 Paladium Silver/Brown Satin Ash
Bad Front Passenger Seat Controller

Just two months old and my new ML is already in the shop to replace the controller for the right front passenger seat that was preventing settings from being saved.

I have the multi-contour seats, and I could adjust the lumbar size and position as well as the side bolsters using the COMMAND system, but the settings would just revert to zero the moment they were set.

The dealer service department has to keep it overnight since they didn't have the part in stock and they gave me a little C-class to drive. Boy, does it make me appreciate my ML! Feels like I'm driving a go-cart.

Overall, I'm disappointed in these seats. I was expecting the bottoms could be extended out further to support the underside of the thigh, and for the side bolsters to wrap around more, like with my old X5. But in contrast, the adjustments are meager in their extent. So, I don't feel as 'planted' or snug as I did in the X5.....I still feel like I'm sitting on top of the seat, rather than fully in it. And this affects how I drive, making it not as fun as my X5 when it comes to maneuvering corners and curves. So, not only do I feel I wasted money this option, but also on the expensive ACTIVE Curve system which I can't fully enjoy as a result.

To be sure, the fact that I'm 6'-2" and about 280Ibs probably doesn't help....and, admittedly, I could stand to loose a few... but my X5's seats didn't seem to mind.

And I doubled check that once the seat is all the way down, you can't tilt the front of the seat up, which would give more under-leg support....so this part is just plain frustrating.

The new model of the X5 is coming out sometime this year. If they've been successful in improving the ride quality as rumored they'd do by adding an AIRMATIC-like suspension and comfort settings, I might be tempted to ditch this ML and return to the Dark Side.

Last edited by Masterbuyer; 01-29-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM

UPDATE: The dealer service department had to keep my ML in the shop another night since they couldn't figure out how to reprogram the seat system for the new part. They said they have to 'call New Jersey' for help.

And here I thought by going to the MB dealer's service department, rather than to my local independent MB shop, I would get better, more knowledgeable and skilled service. HA! These guys are clueless!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I got rid of my 2012 ML and got a BMW 550I GT. I know exactly what you mean about the seats. THe BMW seats are to die for. :-)

BTW, I too am 6' 3" and 280.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
My seats tilt up at the front..... Also agree they are not as good as BMW sports seats.......they are the best ever.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MLee
My seats tilt up at the front..... Also agree they are not as good as BMW sports seats.......they are the best ever.
Humm....well, maybe there is something wrong with the drivers side seat as well.

But to be sure, it can be done if the seat bottom isn't all the way down.

Could you try this for me please? Put your seat all the way down and back. Then try to tilt the seat bottom back, so that the front comes up while leaving the back down...so it starts to pinch you in the seat a little. If you can do that, then I'm going to have to have that checked out, too.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
I got rid of my 2012 ML and got a BMW 550I GT. I know exactly what you mean about the seats. THe BMW seats are to die for. :-)

BTW, I too am 6' 3" and 280.
Glad to hear someone else on this board understands about those BMW seats.... I seriously considered getting the GT instead of the ML. In addition to the great seats, it has that huge navigation screen that's even bigger than the X5 (which is much bigger than the ML). The rest of the interior is also amazing. It really feels like luxury through and through.

The GT rides a little higher than the normal sedan, as you know....which is why I considered it. I don't like feeling dwarfed by the cars around me, and rather have a more commanding view of the road.

They say that with the GT, you either love or hate the shape of it. I like it's unique look. Around SoCal, MLs are, as they say, 'belly-button' cars...everyone and their Soccer Mom has one. The GT, on the other hand, is a relatively rare bird....and that alone makes it pretty cool.

I wasn't impressed with the the ride...expecting it to be more isolating from the roughness of the road, especially with its comfort setting...but then, again, it's a BMW. Seems nobody has figured out how to marry the amazing handling of a BMW with the ultra smooth ride of a Mercedes. So, if you want a super fun car to drive, it has to be an BMW. If you are willing to sacrifice fun for more comfort, it's a Mercedes. Sure, there are other makes to consider, but that's another conversation all together.

But in the end, it was all the unique safety features of the W166 that sold me on my ML550....and, especially vs the GT, the extra height. But if I could afford a couple extra cars in my stable, that 550 GT would be one of them, for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
ever thought of buying a Phantom instead? 80k for an 05.... 450k msrp new, a friend just sent me the link to make me feel bad bout dropping so much on a 13 GL

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rolls-Royce-P...8932582&_uhb=1
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar
ever thought of buying a Phantom instead? 80k for an 05.... 450k msrp new, a friend just sent me the link to make me feel bad bout dropping so much on a 13 GL

No, I haven't...and it's been a long time since I've been in one...and it was only as a passenger while driving round Hong Kong years ago. So, I don't remember how it handled.

I would expect the ride to be amazing, but can it do 'corner flat?'
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by cookstar

That's not how ebay works. Reserve has not been met and the car will likely sell for about $150k if not more.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 27trout
That's not how ebay works. Reserve has not been met and the car will likely sell for about $150k if not more.
boooo
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Masterbuyer
UPDATE: The dealer service department had to keep my ML in the shop another night since they couldn't figure out how to reprogram the seat system for the new part. They said they have to 'call New Jersey' for help.

And here I thought by going to the MB dealer's service department, rather than to my local independent MB shop, I would get better, more knowledgeable and skilled service. HA! These guys are clueless!
UPDATE #2:
Believe it or not, now on Day FIVE, and the dealer still has my ML, unable to program the seat controller properly. They point the finger at "MB in New Jersey," who is reportedly giving them instructions that just don't work.

I'm beginning to wonder if the dealer service department is truly the problem here. I'm seriously considering just taking it back as-is and being it to another dealer for a 'second opinion.' Perhaps it would then 'miraculously' be fixed.

Meanwhile, I traded in the C250 loaner for GKL, which is A LOT better. At least I don't feel like I'm driving a tin can like I did with the C250. That C250 is an embarrassment and abomination for all I believe Mercedes Benz represents in terms of quality of ride, luxury and performance.

Last edited by Masterbuyer; 02-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE #2:
Believe it or not, now on Day FIVE, and the dealer still has my ML, unable to program the seat controller properly. They point the finger at "MB in New Jersey," who is reportedly giving them instructions that just don't work.

I'm beginning to wonder if the dealer service department is truly the problem here. I'm seriously considering just taking it back as-is and being it to another dealer for a 'second opinion.' Perhaps it would then 'miraculously' be fixed.

Meanwhile, I traded in the C250 loaner for GKL, which is A LOT better. At least I don't feel like I'm driving a tin can like I did with the C250. That C250 is an embarrassment and abomination for all I believe Mercedes Benz represents in terms of quality of ride, luxury and performance.
You obviously have not driven the C63, it would change your mind very quickly.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 AM

UPDATE#3:

Dealer service dept. still has my ML! They can't figure out what is wrong that is stopping them from programing the front passenger seat controller. They say it will 'not wake up.' If they swap it to the driver's seat, it works fine. They say MB's tech support center in New Jersey went as far as to hook up their computers directly to my car as it sat in the shop in SoCal, and they tried and tried but couldn't figure out how to fix the problem. Now, they say, the problem is being sent all the way back to Germany for resolution. Meanwhile, they've given me a GLK to drive, which isn't bad, but just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I've been spoiled with with my ML, like GPS, Blinds Spot Assist, SAT Radio, etc. I also hit someone the other day because they were in my blind spot....I think that blind spot warning feature is the most valuable of all.

Anyway, they'll tell me more on Monday. Hard to believe it will be eight days in the shop by then. I asked my service rep if MB will try to make up for this in some way. He said he's known of MB paying a lease payment. But since I'm buying it, I know this would be a little different.

Last edited by Masterbuyer; 02-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM

Update #4:

Believe it or not, my ML is still in the shop. They finally figure out how to update the software, as was provided by MB New Jersey. But then discovered one of the feeding air hoses was apparently blocked, since the pump would stop as if the air badder in the mufti-contour seat was full. So, today they've been disassembling the seat to figure out where the blockage might be.

Thank goodness this is all happening while it's under warranty...and it sure is an argument for getting the extended warranty.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM

ml350 bluetec
I'm 6'7" and weigh 400 lbs+, BMW seats are a killer alright, I would be dead if sat on them longer than 15 minutes. 6' 7" is not really the problem, a 39" inseam is. I was going to buy the 2013 GL but could not drive it like the 2012. Guess where they got that extra leg room for the third row of seats. The ML and the S Class are the only 2 Mercs that I know I can get into & drive comfortably and also sit comfortably as a passenger (front seat only).
As a further note, I have only managed to go into a three wheel slide once, while on ice The ML just doesn't skid that well on ice, and that is great!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 AM

Update #5: This is going to be really hard to believe. After having my ML for 11 days, they say its finally fixed and ready for pickup. I get in the car and try out the seat adjustments. Not only is the front passenger seat settings for lumbar, side bolsters, etc., not working, now the driver side is having the exact same issue.

I immediately drive back around to the service department...and they service manager and his crew are all clueless. They say it was all working fine. Now they think it is the air pump in the back and need to order this part...which should arrive by tomorrow afternoon.

I wished yelling and screaming could make a difference. But I can only shake my head. Seems I am at their mercy and without any recourse, but to let them keep trying.

So, off I drove with another loaner.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Update #5: This is going to be really hard to believe. After having my ML for 11 days, they say its finally fixed and ready for pickup. I get in the car and try out the seat adjustments. Not only is the front passenger seat settings for lumbar, side bolsters, etc., not working, now the driver side is having the exact same issue.

I immediately drive back around to the service department...and they service manager and his crew are all clueless. They say it was all working fine. Now they think it is the air pump in the back and need to order this part...which should arrive by tomorrow afternoon.

I wished yelling and screaming could make a difference. But I can only shake my head. Seems I am at their mercy and without any recourse, but to let them keep trying.

So, off I drove with another loaner.
Typical MB. No one checks to see if it actually works. THey just plug it in to the computer and look for codes. Seems their eyes are not certified by MB as a diagnostic tool.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
Typical MB. No one checks to see if it actually works. They just plug it in to the computer and look for codes. Seems their eyes are not certified by MB as a diagnostic tool.
Yep...but you would expect a dealer that touts itself as the largest MB dealer in the country would not be so incompetent. Luckily there are several in the SoCal area that I can go to next instead...and I will with this issue if they can't finally get it fixed today.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Yep...but you would expect a dealer that touts itself as the largest MB dealer in the country would not be so incompetent. Luckily there are several in the SoCal area that I can go to next instead...and I will with this issue if they can't finally get it fixed today.
FYI, They are all the largest dealers in the country. At least that's what they would have you to believe. I saw a sign in the Pontiac service department in IL once and it said "Sales sells the first, Service sells the rest". And that is exactly why I will never buy another MB. Their service SUCKS!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Fletcher is the "largest" last time I saw the numbers... actually can be a bit overwhelming....
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Update #6:Hopefully, this is the final chapter in this saga.

I go to pick up the ML on Friday. I get in and sure enough, it is still not working correctly. The COMMAND system will not remember the setting for the bottom of the drivers seat. It just snaps back to zero the moment I would set it. You would think the dealer would have thoroughly tested this, especially given how they failed to do this before.

Luckily, It occurs to me that maybe if I chose 'reset,' it might shake things up enough that it would start to remember. At first that didn't work, but then a service manager, who was about to take the car back in and give me yet another loaner, suggested that I turn the car off and on after doing the reset. And sure enough, that worked. It would finally remember the setting.

All I can do at this point is shake my head and think, 'never again.' This dealer is far too incompetent, careless or both to continue to get my business.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I go to pick up the ML on Friday. I get in and sure enough, it is still not working correctly. The COMMAND system will not remember the setting for the bottom of the drivers seat. It just snaps back to zero the moment I would set it. You would think the dealer would have thoroughly tested this, especially given how they failed to do this before.

Luckily, It occurs to me that maybe if I chose 'reset,' it might shake things up enough that it would start to remember. At first that didn't work, but then a service manager, who was about to take the car back in and give me yet another loaner, suggested that I turn the car off and on after doing the reset. And sure enough, that worked. It would finally remember the setting.

All I can do at this point is shake my head and think, 'never again.' This dealer is far too incompetent, careless or both to continue to get my business.
google what it takes to become an MB tech.... you would be suprised to learn what kind of education or lack of they require.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec

THis just proves what I said before. They (service techs) base EVERYTHING on what the computer tells them. If the computer said your tires have 40 PSI in them but you could see with your own eyes that all 4 tires were flat, MB would swear that your tires were properly inflated.

I had my MB lemon lawed. At the hearing MB based their whole case on the computer saying everything was OK. Once the board inspected the vehicle they ruled in my favor. My guess is that MB is still shaking their heads on this one.

After my short experience with MB's service, or lack of, I will NEVER purchase another MB again.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM

S550 Porsche Cayenne
My 2013 ML is less than 2 months and yesterday the driver's lumbar stopped functioning. When I got in the car and turned it on there was a strange noise coming from the rear of the driver's seat. It lasted for a few minutes. I turned off the car and when I turned it back on the sound was gone - and with it the adjustable lumbar function.

Your post also explains why every time I get in the car I have to reset the multi-contour settings. I don't use it that often so I haven't bothered to read the owner's manual to find out what it's programmed to do. However since there is a "RESET" option I should have realized that the settings should remain unil you presss RESET.

I think I'll drive it for a few more weeks and see if there are any other issues. What a PIA.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 AM

S550 Porsche Cayenne
Glad I waited a week - in addition to the lumbar support not working on the Multicontour seat - now I'm unable to adjust the side bolsters and the seat too.

I'll check the passenger side today and then call for an appointment.

I'll also copy some of these posts to show them what the O.P. went through - maybe it will save me some time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Front Passenger Seat Controller