M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

How to get rid of lane information in navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
How to get rid of lane information in navigation

My wife's daily drive requires her to to know the time of arrival during navigation use. Problem is the time adjusts constantly according to traffic but the navigation screen constantly shows the lane Information at the bottom of the nav screen. How can this be turned off so I have the time of arrivAl showing?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Assuming you are on the nav screen, you push the knob in once, then push it left a few times till it gets to "Route" then you push it in once to get the "Route" menu, and again to get "destination information" and then a box pops up with time / distance to destination and this box covers most of the map so you won't like that for long so then you must press back to get rid of it.
Perhaps there is a voice command associated.. "route information" haven't tried.

Sucks doesn't it?

One of the most important data displays and they can't offer a permanent display of it (preferably in the instrument cluster) or at least allow you to assign one of the two "favorite" buttons to it. (Favorite buttons are of such limited use I don't know why they even bothered offering two of them).
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
Have only just started using Nav but i thought the ETA popped up on the screen at rgular intervals.......unless I am dreaming........no, I am sure I have seen it.

Now I have another excuse for a drive......to check out ETA.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 AM

ML350
it does at the bottom center but if anything is going on of a lane nature then this space is used to show lanes and excepting long featureless roads that's pretty much all the time .. so ..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
The ETA time display should not be relied upon anyway. It is a useful guide if in a strange area, and you are planning for a break but oyu do not need it constantly.

I appreciate beiing told which of the lanes to get into prior to the freeway split.

Time to destination is a calculation of distance and estimated speed.
It assumes a cruising speed of B roads at 67km/h, whilst I cruise them at 100km/h.

And the last 2km to home says 11 minutes, but I do them in two!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 AM

ML350
well, if it is wrong then that is a different complaint because even the most basic sucker type nav unit gets it reasonably correct (in my experience).

And, I do differ in opinion: it is very useful to have it displayed constantly. Since it flashes on and off randomly (more off than on in built up areas) it is very distracting to "watch" for it. And to have to request it is brain dead design. Even if estimated arrival time isn't always perfect, having number of kms to go at a glance is correct and useful.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by iankayem
The ETA time display should not be relied upon anyway. It is a useful guide if in a strange area, and you are planning for a break but oyu do not need it constantly.

I appreciate beiing told which of the lanes to get into prior to the freeway split.

Time to destination is a calculation of distance and estimated speed.
It assumes a cruising speed of B roads at 67km/h, whilst I cruise them at 100km/h.

And the last 2km to home says 11 minutes, but I do them in two!
Obviously you don't live in LA where traffic conditions change constantly and you have many options in getting to a certain location. We need it in case of accidents and need to reroute on the fly. Sorry mr outback I doubt you have the traffic and options we have here

Last edited by jtorrebl; 02-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350BTC
I've had problems with the nav too. I like to see the splits just before a turn, but not other times. This isn't a garmin and it shows. No speed limit display, terribly difficult to enter a destination. I've had very little luck trying to speak destinations. With two of us in the car, my wife typically works the nav. But wait, you can't do that while you're driving. Also, when your destination is in a different time zone, time of arrival is local time at origin not local time at destination. I also like to see my current speed on the nav. GPS calculation is more accurate than speedometer -- especially if you've changed tire brand or wheel size. Have I missed some options in the manual?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 AM

ML350
voice works ok for me but I trained it and I have .. to .. annunciate .. clearly
Also it is hopeless if your passengers are chatting ( or laughing at the mistakes )
I look with envy at the google earth driven audi units
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
I love my small Tom Tom GPS and use the ETA all the time i.e. letting someone know when we will arrive while on route, and I find it extremely accurate. It also not only tells me my travel speed but also tells me the speed limit and warns me if I'm exceeding it. Quite valuable if I hadn't seen a speed limit sign for quite a while.
2 days ago I picked up my new 2013 ML350BT and of course I love it. Took it on an hour ride to my nephews house yesterday and of course I'm still learning about how all the systems work. I have to agree, I am somewhat frustrated at this point that I can not observe my ETA or travel speed on the Nav screen or in the area between the speedometer and the tach. The ETA was on the Nav screen at one point but it disappeared some how and I can't find it again. It seems very stupid that I'd have to get out my 3.5" Tom Tom to use in my new Mercedes :-(
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML 350 BlueTEC
Agreed - TomTom for my iPhone blows away the Mercedes navigation - and I get free map dates for life and can install it on five devices for no additional cost.

Originally Posted by Vincecam
I love my small Tom Tom GPS and use the ETA all the time i.e. letting someone know when we will arrive while on route, and I find it extremely accurate. It also not only tells me my travel speed but also tells me the speed limit and warns me if I'm exceeding it. Quite valuable if I hadn't seen a speed limit sign for quite a while.
2 days ago I picked up my new 2013 ML350BT and of course I love it. Took it on an hour ride to my nephews house yesterday and of course I'm still learning about how all the systems work. I have to agree, I am somewhat frustrated at this point that I can not observe my ETA or travel speed on the Nav screen or in the area between the speedometer and the tach. The ETA was on the Nav screen at one point but it disappeared some how and I can't find it again. It seems very stupid that I'd have to get out my 3.5" Tom Tom to use in my new Mercedes :-(
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM

ML350
as mentioned, you will find the ETA and distance to go appears in the middle chunk of "full screen" navigation *if* there isn't currently something going on with lanes, such as a turn coming up in a two or three lane road, even if it is a turn you are supposed to ignore.

And to get the ETA and distance info pop-up you can navigate to Route --> Destination Information, however this box is not designed to be continuously displayed.

So, yeah, it sucks. Clearly mercedes have a stubborn streak in the company somewhere probably the same people who managed to push floor pedal parking brakes for so long are involved in the COMMAND user interfaces. It beat the hell out of me why mercedes aims and manages to be the top shelf in so many areas but is so very average for in-car electronics.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jellies
as mentioned, you will find the ETA and distance to go appears in the middle chunk of "full screen" navigation *if* there isn't currently something going on with lanes, such as a turn coming up in a two or three lane road, even if it is a turn you are supposed to ignore.

And to get the ETA and distance info pop-up you can navigate to Route --> Destination Information, however this box is not designed to be continuously displayed.

So, yeah, it sucks. Clearly mercedes have a stubborn streak in the company somewhere probably the same people who managed to push floor pedal parking brakes for so long are involved in the COMMAND user interfaces. It beat the hell out of me why mercedes aims and manages to be the top shelf in so many areas but is so very average for in-car electronics.

Thanks jellies, I do appreciate the info and will check it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 AM

ML350
Ok so some experimenting I found if you push the voice button and say
"route information"
the voice reads you the distance to destination and estimated time to destination.

This might be easier to do in some situations than getting that overlay temporarily displayed.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
"route information"
the voice reads you the distance to destination and estimated time to destination.

This might be easier to do in some situations than getting that overlay temporarily displayed.
Oooo. That will help!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
voice works ok for me but I trained it and I have .. to .. annunciate .. clearly
Also it is hopeless if your passengers are chatting ( or laughing at the mistakes )
I look with envy at the google earth driven audi units
Yeah nav in my a6 with google earth is nice. Trial data plan needed to generate the images ran out but I bought pre paid sim to use just for the cool factor of google earth. It's helpful sometimes. Just give you much more detail and can really orient you with real world graphics.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM

"route information"

"route information" worked like a charm. Thanks Jellies.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Now: 2010 S63, 2013 ML350. Before: 2008 S550, 2009 GL450, 2006 430LS, 2000 LX470, 1998(?) SC300
Goto Engineering Menu (see other thread for this) and turn off Lane Info and HOV info. This might solve the problem!