M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Current model ML owners - what would you change about your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Metallic Silver ML350
Current model ML owners - what would you change about your vehicle?

Hi again, in related to my other thread I started, I am getting close to pulling a trigger on a MY13 ML350 AWD. So, I figured I'd post to see what some of you find to be an annoyance or something you just can't stand about your vehicle. I feel like every car no matter what price point has something that just doesn't work "how it should." So, if you had to change one thing on your ML, what would it be?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I've had my ML350 for 14 months and 11,500 miles. It has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive in every respect so I would change very little. But as you said, nothing is perfect and some things do not work, "how it should", as you put it.

For example, why must the Command function be on to activate the rear camera? Why couldn't they make it where the screen comes on instantaneously with the camera when the gear goes to reverse? That is how it should work, independently of the Command functions.

Why is the maintenance monitor specified to either time or miles? The computer programs for most modern cars track engine temps and revolutions, various driving habits/conditions, etc. The maintenance minder, especially the oil life expectancy gauge, should be dependent on many factors in order to give a more accurate oil change interval. X number of miles (in our case 10,000 miles) and X number of months (in our case 12 months) is arbitrary and not as accurate as the monitors contained in much lessor cars. I had an old Honda that gave me percentages of oil life expectancy throughout the oil and filter change interval and it was based on many factors. My oil analysis with Blackstone Labs confirmed the accuracy of that maintenance minder and I don't know why MB would not use a similar alogram. X number of miles and months is old school thinking.

The bi-xenon lights in the lighting package are terrific but although MB advertises the "active curve illumination" feature it does not work very well, if at all. I think I read where here in N. America there may be some legal restrictions and this feature is modified to the point that it is useless. Nonetheless, if they say I should have it as part of the Lighting Package then it should work as advertised.

The oil dip stick is too far back in the engine cabin and I am constantly getting dirty trying to reach it. It should have been put up front like many other cars. Although the three holes indicating oil level are okay I think they should have made it easier to see and also easier to determine when oil should be added. It is my understanding that even if you are down to the last hole on the dip stick you do not need to add oil, however, the indicator makes you think you are two quarts low at that point.

These are relatively minor points (along with a few in the Command system itself I could mention) but overall I would not trade my ML for anything. If someone makes the "perfect" car, let me know because I'll be the first in line!!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by shortspark
[...]
These are relatively minor points (along with a few in the Command system itself I could mention) but overall I would not trade my ML for anything. If someone makes the "perfect" car, let me know because I'll be the first in line!!
Agreed. I doubt anyone will make a "perfect" car as long as the infotainment isn't more open. As a software engineer, using in-car computer systems is always so frustrating compared to things like modern smart phones and operating systems. C'est la vie....maybe in ten years our phones will be able to drive the whole in-car systems.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by iamgort
Thanks for the reply

Agreed. I doubt anyone will make a "perfect" car as long as the infotainment isn't more open. As a software engineer, using in-car computer systems is always so frustrating compared to things like modern smart phones and operating systems. C'est la vie....maybe in ten years our phones will be able to drive the whole in-car systems.
It's funny that you mention that. Apple, in its recent WWDC keynote address, announced a new "iOS in the Car" initiative, and Mercedes-Benz was one of the car manufacturers specifically mentioned as supporting this initiative in its MY2014 vehicles. There's no word on which classes, specifically, will support iOS in the Car. My guess is that the S and E classes will be the first, but that's only a guess. Of course, this is only for iOS users, but the promise is that apps from the iPhone will take over the COMAND screen.

In other words, when you place a call, or look up your contacts, what you see on the screen is driven by the iPhone. For turn-by-turn, the maps displayed will be those of the iPhone. Likewise, when you use your iPhone for music, you'll see Cover Flow as presented by iOS.

I would like to see how Mercedes is planning on implementing this initiative, but am curious as to how iPhone users enjoy the current iPhone integration with their current Mercedes models.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Yea that is actually one of the things I'm excited about since I'm an iPhone user. You are probably right about only limited models, plus the demo they showed didn't make it look like it would be something backwards compatible, sadly. In a few years, perhaps.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
I've had my 2013 ML350 BlueTec about 5 months, have 3,000 miles and have had no problems. I love the way the car handles, the power, the quiet ride and the way it looks. I can't think of any car I would rather have purchased. But I do have some complaints.

I agree with shortspark about these same items. Regarding the Command System: I don't need that screen illuminated all the time. If you turn it off by turning off the system then you don't have a backup camera. You can turn if off via the menu system but it's multiple clicks. The camera will turn on the screen when it is disabled that way however.

I also agree that the bi-xenon lights do not work very well. Also my high beams never turn on automatically even on the darkest roads. The oil dip stick could be in a better spot.

I am a software engineer as well (retired) and I don't understand why the navigation system in the car does not work as well as my smart phone. The Mercedes navigation system is my biggest frustration with this car. Even the display of nearby roads is not as detailed as it should be. I've had to resort to getting a eye level bracket for my iPhone and I use the Waze app.
I was in Germany last month and rode in a VW Tourag (at 150 MPH!) and a VW GTI. Their touch screen navigation systems looked and work in a far superior fashion than my Mercedes.

I do like the way the Command system media interface works with both my iPhone and my iPod. Both the bluetooth and the cable in the console.

I also have to say that the Distronic (Adaptive Cruise Control) is fantastic and a must have! One small problem I have with that is when passing trucks it seems to get confused and wants to brake. Maybe the dealer can adjust the radar positioning. I'll be asking them about that.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Ended up getting the following ML350 4matic the other day. It was a manager's demo with a 6K miles on it, but had every option I wanted.

2013 ML350 4Matic in Silver Metallica with Black Interior (love the black interior)
Lighting Package
Heated Multifunction Steering Whee
Trailer Hitch
Brushed Aluminum Running Boards
Rear Seat Entertainment Pre-Wiring
KEYLESS-GO
Lane Tracking Package
Premium 1 Package
harman/kardon Sound System
Multicolor Interior Ambient Lighting and Illuminated Door Sills

MSRP: $60,620
Invoice: $56,441
Price Paid: 51,986

Got it for 85% of MSRP (4500 under invoice), .0016 money factor (kicked to .0015 with auto pay), and 63% residual lease for 30 month 10K/year.

It was between this and a black one that was brand new, but I really wanted keyless go and the lighting package. I didn't mind the couple thousand miles on it since I'm going to be leasing anyways. Very happy so far, I love this car.

The only thing I regret is being unable to find a lunar blue in a config I wanted since I love blue cars, but silver was a close choice...I've had two silver cars in the past that I loved.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
Congratulations. I think you will continue to love this car.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Porsche 911S
The wife and I have a 2013 ML350 Diesel. We bought the car because the wife was too tired of looking at cars (we looked at 4) and just said this was good enough).
While the power train and size are good we both do not like the car.

The mbrace2 system is a pure failure in design. I cannot believe that EVERY instinct to make it better was ignore. (You want to stream pandora (music) from your phone? Go to video!
The NAV is utter garbage. The KIA i rented last week was better in every way. Here is the most ludicrous aspect. Some lawyers decided it was too risky to interface with the NAV while in motion....even if there is a passenger present. So now we have to use our much smaller phone interface to send the address....(Far more dangerous). Please don't tell me that you pull over to enter addresses...no one does it. Now, you can't just do that with an app, they want you to subscribe to the horror that is mbrace, to pay for failure. No thanks!
Forget the voice recognition....totally and completely hopeless. Utter garbage.
As you can see we are quite strong in our opinion in regards to it.

Actually, if we remove the electronics from the conversation, the the vehicle is ok.

Stuff we just don't get:
Why is leather not standard?
Why do you have to remind us about the key?
Why do I have to hold the button in to change from memory 1 to memory 2?

Anyway......we have had the car since April....and cannot wait to get a different vehicle.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Yea I didn't sign up for mbrace, didn't see any need. I'm not sure what you mean by switch to video. Why can't you just use the native pandora app on your phone and stream via bluetooth or the usb connection?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
To be picky, here in the states the "rest" feature (which I understand is available in other countries) should be made standard or at least part of an option. The retractable sunshade on the pano roof (which has two panes of glass) should be controllable for each pane by itself. The auto dimming headlights should not have to wait until the vehicle exceeds 30 MPH to switch to high beam. The vibrating steering wheel with lane assist should be more pronounced. I'm sure there is probably a few more but thats all I can think of now.

2013 ML 350 Palladium Silver Metallic with Grey Leather
Parktronic
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Pano roof
Trailer Hitch
harmon/kardon sound
Multi-color ambient lighting
Passenger seat w/memory
Night View Assist
Cargo Management System
Airmatic Air Suspension
3-Zone Climate Control
PO1 Package
Lighting Package
On/Off Road Package
Driver Assist Package
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM

Porsche 911S
Yea I didn't sign up for mbrace, didn't see any need. I'm not sure what you mean by switch to video. Why can't you just use the native pandora app on your phone and stream via bluetooth or the usb connection?
In order for me to select bluetooth audio, I have to go video, then media, then select bluetooth audio.

Ridiculous.

Also, why can't I permanently turn off the stupid voice over for NAV? I have to hit mute every time....
Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 PM

I've never used the video menu and stream bluetooth every day. I just access it the same way I do iPod, etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM

ML350
i got my ml 550 in April and I'm quite happy with it except minor issues :
1- noise at speed above 100 km/h it sounds like air is leaking from the front windows which i usually get confused and try to make sure the windows are closed which is close but i don't is that in other MLs or just mine !!
2-i tried to connect iphone 5 using the usb port but it only charging and i can't access to the iphone music library !!
3- how can i save the location on NAV like home and work and then recall these addresses very easily ?
sometimes i point on some place on the map and try to nav to this specific address but i can not !!
4-how can i pause the playing music from media interface or bluetooth ?
5- one more thing ,when i switch to tire pressure screen it shows reading in bar is it possible to change it to psi ?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

For the iPhone 5 you will need the apple adapter to connect to the media interface, not the usb plug. No dice there. The apple adapter works great, though.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Nitpicks

Agree with several of the posted comments.
- COMAND must be on for backup camera to work
- Nav clunky and maps hard to read
- Intelligent Lighting disabled in US; auto high beams only work above 34 mph (why?); cornering lights non-functional in US
- Must continually hold seat preset when adjusting seat position rather than one-touch
- Load securing cargo rails should be standard; were not available in my configuration

All-in-all though, I am happy with the vehicle; many improvements over the W164.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM

That's odd, I could swear I see the lights turning some when I make a sharp turn. Maybe it's just them leveling out?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM

coche
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
- Must continually hold seat preset when adjusting seat position rather than one-touch
totally agree on the memory seating. You can get cars for a fraction of a Mercedes and get one touch memory seats. A lot of other manufacturers have been doing it for at least 10 years.

seems like it's come up a lot on other mercedes https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...=1023&bih=1001

Last edited by sparc; 07-30-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Intelligent Lighting

That's odd, I could swear I see the lights turning some when I make a sharp turn. Maybe it's just them leveling out?
From the International Manual:
"Switching the Intelligent Light System on/off

Press the or button on the steering wheel to select the Settings menu.

Press the or button to select the Light submenu.

Press to confirm.

Press or to select the Intelligent Light System function.

If the Intelligent Light System function has been switched on, the cone of light and the symbol in the multifunction display are shown in red.

Press the button to save the setting.

When you activate Intelligent Light System, you activate the following functions:

- motorway mode
- active light function
- cornering light function
- extended range foglamps
- off-road lights"

US cars do not have a function to activate the Intelligent Light System, only Adaptive High Beam Assist. We do not seem to get the foglight, off road light or cornering light functions. A couple things to note: The left stalk needs to be pushed forward for AHBA to work, even if activated in the menu; Active Lights & High Beam Assist only work at certain speeds (the latter above 35 mph).
Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2012 ML350
I've owned my ML since April, 2012. I love my ML and everyone who gets in always makes a comment on what a great vehicle it is. I agree that it would be nice if whether you had Command on or not, the camera would engage. I simply don't turn Command off, so that way when I hit reverse the camera engages. For me personally, I wish I had gotten the option of the Lane Tracking. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Someone asked this question:

how can i save the location on NAV like home and work and then recall these addresses very easily ?

This is done in the navigation settings. I have lots of addresses, including my own, and that of my MB dealer saved. You have to input the addresses and then save them.

Last edited by kitty kat; 08-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I am constantly inputting addresses to the navigation system as well. I subscribe to Mbrace for this very reason. I find the most current map to my destination on google maps and hit the send to vehicle tab. I go out to the car, download the maps to the navigator and save to my addresses for when I want to travel to them. Easy as can be.

You can also call Mbrace from the vehicle (if you have this additional Mbrace option) and give the representative the address you want and he/she will download the destination map to your navigatior while you are in route. Cool!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 AM

Mercedes-Benz
Bi-Xenon or LED in all MB Cars!