M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Prepaid Maintenace or No?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4MATIC
Exclamation Prepaid Maintenace or No?

What are you opinions? I will be taking delivery of my new MY14 ML350 within the week and am not sure if I want to do the prepaids maintenance, or just pay as I go...

Would love to hear your past experiences and if you all think it's a good idea...

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
I always have the dealer throw in a 3 year maintenance package at the very end of getting a final price on the car. Marginal cost to the dealership.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
The first three years is mostly various filter changes, oil changes and checks to be sure everything is functioning like it should. You could do these things yourself for a fraction of the $750 or so for prepaid maintenance. There are a few things to consider. On one hand you have to wait for the work to be completed. My dealer picks up my car, leaves one in its place and then returns when the job is finished but not all dealers do that. Besides the wait you have to understand the best mechanics are not assigned these jobs and there is no doubt you could do it as well or better than the "mechanics".

On the other hand you have to buy special Euro synthetic oil made by Mobil that is not found everywhere (although I have seen it in a few WalMarts) and it is a little more expensive than most oils. The oil filter must be bought from the dealer and also tends to be expensive. Unless you want to crawl under the car and take off the plate to get to the oil pan you need to buy an oil extractor that removes the oil from the dip stick. They run about $75 and up. Any software updates are also performed by the dealer and is something you can't do.

Perhaps the most important thing is keeping the car in warranty. I have read that if something goes wrong and MB did not maintain the car they will look for every little mistake you might have made and will void the warranty. If MB did all servicing according to schedule they will more often than not bend over backwards for you - or so I've heard.

If you belong to Mercedes Benz Club Of America you get a discount on parts from the dealer. Also, your local club may have DIY days at different dealers and shops where you can have all the facilities to do the work you need right in the service department. There is usually a small fee like ten dollars for this but sometimes it is offered free. Sometimes you get emails from dealers offering discounts for service and that lowers the as needed maintenance cost. If you get the agreement there is a built in discount (up to 30%) and it is good even if prices increase - the agreement is inflation proof. Another benefit is that service can be performed at any MB dealer, not just the one you bought the car and agreement from.

So, as you can see there are lots of things to consider. One thing is universally accepted: if you opt for the agreement, it is better to get the three year agreement as the four year is considerably more expensive. So much so that the dealer can usually perform the fourth year maintenance cheaper.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Thanks!

I guess I should add I'm a "keeper" of my vehicles. Current one is 8 years old. All dealership serviced. I'm not getting rid of the car either, when adding this one to the collection.

I will likely keep this one well past 5 years and am strongly considering purchasing the 7/100K extended warranty....
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The 3yr/30K maintenance "pack" is the best value - MSRP about $769 and can be had for a bit less... non-refundable and non-transferable to another vehicle - longer plans are "over priced" since based on old 40K transmission service requirement not required now for 7G+.

7/100 ELW is MSRP $4,389 if purchased within 30 days of purchase -if added after 30 days of purchase up to expiration of new car warranty by time or miles of the added "10% surcharge" MB does charge the dealer 5% more - normally a taxable item in most states, some states non-taxable, all depends on individual state.. if added at time of delivery 0% add-on cost amortized over a MBFS note is available. 100% refundable of amount paid in if not used with 8 week or so refund time if sold/traded/or desire refund.

Pre-paid maintenance and ELW costs "may" change in September - they are set in September once a year for the following year.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 PM

2012 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The 3yr/30K maintenance "pack" is the best value - MSRP about $769 and can be had for a bit less... non-refundable and non-transferable to another vehicle - longer plans are "over priced" since based on old 40K transmission service requirement not required now for 7G+.
I thought they told me that the maintenance pack is transferable to another owner. That aside, there was a significant cost savings if you plan to service at the dealer.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
My apologies - yes, prepaid maintenance is transferable if sold to a private buyer - however, again prepaid maintenance is not refundable.

On "savings" - the 30K/3yr plan offers the most "savings" - and after that 3 pack is "used up" you can buy another 3 pack for 40-50-60K.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM

2012 ML350 BT
LOL... I had gotten the clarification on transferring the pack AFTER I purchased a 2-year pack. Otherwise, I would have gone with the 3-year plan.

To quantify the savings a bit more, I purchased the 2-yr maintenance pack for $779 when I took my ML in for its schedule B service at 20K miles (so the plan covered that, too). I believe the savings alone would basically "cover" my schedule A to be due next year. I think that was estimated to be ~$300 or so. Of course, if I need other maintenance like an AdBlue top-off/fill-up, that's included, too.

Like fabbrisd1, I just don't see a downside to the prepaid plans, with the exception of not being refundable.

As for the extended warranty, I purchased that when I bought the ML. I can't remember the exact cost, but I got a good price since it was from a FL dealer and those products are more heavily regulated down there (i.e., dealers are limited in how much profit they can made). I had the vehicle shipped to me in VA, so nice that there was a perk for buying out-of-state.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The "gasser" ML350 3-pack is solid buy - on ML350BT diesels - AdBlue from the dealer is a added cost (over gassers) in the BT pack that you can solve for $30 every 10K miles with a DIY topoff with Peak/generic Diesel Exhaust Fluid - then the other added BT maintenance cost over gassers is the 20K fuel filter service. To determine if the 20K/30K packs for BT's are a good value - you would need to price out the 10K/20K dealer service a-la-carte "without" AdBlue charges and see what adds up better for you (DIY DEF+ a-la-carte) or prepaid total service.

Keep the beat !
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 AM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Thanks, everyone
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The "gasser" ML350 3-pack is solid buy - on ML350BT diesels - AdBlue from the dealer is a added cost (over gassers) in the BT pack that you can solve for $30 every 10K miles with a DIY topoff with Peak/generic Diesel Exhaust Fluid - then the other added BT maintenance cost over gassers is the 20K fuel filter service. To determine if the 20K/30K packs for BT's are a good value - you would need to price out the 10K/20K dealer service a-la-carte "without" AdBlue charges and see what adds up better for you (DIY DEF+ a-la-carte) or prepaid total service.

Keep the beat !
For MY13 and up diesel engines the fuel filter replacement is not required until 40K miles or 4 years (doubled what it used to be).
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Prepaod dealer service for BT icludes 3=20K fuel filter replacement

20K diesel prepaid service includes 20K diesel fuel filter replacement