M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

accidentally opening lift gate in garage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
accidentally opening lift gate in garage?

Hello all, I just pick up my wife's new ML350 and got it home. Locked the car with the remote. There's just enough room in the garage to get the car in and close the garage. I was wondering what if the someone accidentally pressed the lift-gate button on the remote with the locked car in the garage. Would it open? I could imagine scratches on the rear lift-gate. It would only take one time. I proceeded to check with the garage door open. Yes the lift gate still opens with the car locked. I was able to put resistance on the door to stop it from hitting the top of the garage.

Has anyone come across this problem or should I just not worry about it. Is the a way to prevent this uh oh experience. Maybe programming the remote to require you hit it twice in a row before it opens. Does this option exist? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have a 2012 model and it can be programmed to open only to the height you desire. The instructions are in the manual and I assume the new model has the same ability. I programmed the height to give me enough headroom so I don't hit my head on the hatch and at the same time rise just short of hitting the garage door opener brace.

One word of caution if you program it to a set stop position - do not open or close the hatch manually. If you do you may mess up the program memory and it will eventually fail and require a new right shock. Once programmed to the desired set point only open the hatch with the remote or interior latch and only close it with the remote or the red button on the hatch door.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 AM

ML350 Bluetec
You are afraid the hatch will open when the garage door is CLOSED, so programming it to open a certain distance won't help unless you program it to open only a couple inches. Don't know if that is even possible, but it would defeat the purpose of the remote hatch opener. I suggest getting something to use as a bumper and attach to the garage door where the hatch would contact the door if accidentally opened. You don't need something the entire width of the hatch, just enough to protect the area that would contact the garage door first. There are products designed to protect your doors from contacting the garage wall at Griots Garage and other automotive web sites. They are about 18-24 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. That would probably do the trick and let you relax about this issue.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Last edited by Chasvs; 12-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM

x3
As above. the only option is to program it to always open to a specific height limit.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM

2010 E350 4Matic ML350 on order
I've got something that has puzzled be for several years. I've had the trunk lid open on my E350 open on its own in the garage, in a parking lot, wherever. It hasn't happened in over a year now but.... My 2012 ML350 has done the same thing in the garage about four times now. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it had happened until I tried open the garage door. Then the liftgate is stuck on the garage door and I have to figure out how to close the liftgate while pushing back on the garage door. I have a few scratches on the edge of the liftgate but have put tape around the garage door to hopefully avoid any further scratches.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
997 C4S; ML350
If I had to guess, you're probably accidentally opening the trunk with the remote and not realizing it. Maybe it has to do with the pocket that you keep your keeps in, briefcase, etc. Seems weird that it would happen on 2 different cars.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Originally Posted by dk10438
If I had to guess, you're probably accidentally opening the trunk with the remote and not realizing it. Maybe it has to do with the pocket that you keep your keeps in, briefcase, etc. Seems weird that it would happen on 2 different cars.
Could also be too much stuff on your keyring. I've had this happen to me once where there was a lot of stuff in my pocket and just moving around caused the junk in my pocket to hit the tailgate release button and hit the garage door. I was near by when it happened so I realized fairly quickly what had happened.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 PM

2010 E350 4Matic ML350 on order
OK, I just ran an experiment on the pocket theory. By the way, I have never been near either car when this happened and have never actually seen it happen. Seems to happen sometime over night.
I just went out near the ML and clicked the opener (just a quick push on the button to hear the click). This didn't open the tail gate and after several tries at this, without it opening, I found that I actually have to hold the button down for two seconds before anything happens. This would seem to rule out anything that is happening in my pocket.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
The 2-second button hold is fairly standard but trust me, it is possible to still activate the release by accident :-) I've done it...
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Bus & ML350BT
Originally Posted by Chasvs
You are afraid the hatch will open when the garage door is CLOSED, so programming it to open a certain distance won't help unless you program it to open only a couple inches. Don't know if that is even possible, but it would defeat the purpose of the remote hatch opener. I suggest getting something to use as a bumper and attach to the garage door where the hatch would contact the door if accidentally opened. You don't need something the entire width of the hatch, just enough to protect the area that would contact the garage door first. There are products designed to protect your doors from contacting the garage wall at Griots Garage and other automotive web sites. They are about 18-24 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. That would probably do the trick and let you relax about this issue.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
You can just use swimming noodle for that. Just liquid nail the noodle to the wall or wherever your door is likely to hit.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM

ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Mastcell
You can just use swimming noodle for that. Just liquid nail the noodle to the wall or wherever your door is likely to hit.
Yeah, I thought about that after my post. We have noodles here because we have a pool, I also have wall guards from Griots Garage as well which I used for my BMW Coupe doors in my garage.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
You can also reverse into the garage.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM

ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by xMB007x
You can also reverse into the garage.
Better to hit the wall than the door?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
I guess it depends on the size of your garage but I always back in and have more than enough room for the tailgate to open.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM

ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by xMB007x
I guess it depends on the size of your garage but I always back in and have more than enough room for the tailgate to open.
The original post spoke to a tight fit which didn't give enough room to fit far enough in to avoid hitting the door if the hatch opened accidentally. "There's just enough room in the garage to get the car in and close the garage."
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,130 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Another great argument for putting the MB Star on TOP of the hood, where it belongs. My daily driver is a 2013 S550. When I pull into the garage, lining up the hood ornament with the drawer handle on the cabinet in front of me, allows for a perfect parking job each and every time. When I get my new ML350BTC, I am seriously considering adding a hood mounted star, just for this reason.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM

ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Another great argument for putting the MB Star on TOP of the hood, where it belongs. My daily driver is a 2013 S550. When I pull into the garage, lining up the hood ornament with the drawer handle on the cabinet in front of me, allows for a perfect parking job each and every time. When I get my new ML350BTC, I am seriously considering adding a hood mounted star, just for this reason.
Hmmm, I fail to see how protecting your hatch from accidentally opening and hitting the garage door is solved by a hood ornament? That is the issue at hand in this thread.