ML 550 handling insight (M-B Newbie)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Audi A5; 2011 Acadia Denali
ML 550 handling insight (M-B Newbie)

Hello!

I currently drive an Acadia.. which although I'm sure is a good value for the money (lots of bells and whistles), I detest the handling. The car feels "floaty", the torque & real life wheel-to-ground traction feels off for the size of the rig, and I haven't been impressed with GM reliability.

Which brings me to today. I prefer a car that is a bit more driving-centric. I like to feel more attached to the road. Tighter steering. Balanced torque in the sense it doesn't result in peel outs. Acceleration on the upper end that doesn't mean random engine revving. A feel of perhaps a lower center of gravity. For reference: I quite like the handling of an Audi... but don't like the Q7 styling and it feels a bit sluggish.

I drove the ML 350. It was a nice ride, but not the handling I was hoping for. The dealership I visited said they didn't have an ML550 for me to test because they are rare. So first question: Is there a reason the ML 550 would be rare? Second question: The numbers show more torque at a wider array of RPMs (yay) and it appears that the 550 has a different suspension system. Do these equate to handling closer to what I'm looking for?

This would be my first Mercedes. I've searched and done some reading - but didn't see anything specific to handling/responsiveness compared to the 350 and would love some advice outside of my salesperson.. who (very nice guy!) was pretty big on demoing the technology and creature comforts of the brand.

I appreciate any insight! Thanks everyone.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 MB ML63 AMG
Hello and welcome!

I have an 2014 ML63 and a 2014 Acadia SLT FWD. My wife complained about the floaty suspension after we got it home so I installed H&R lowering/sport springs about three weeks ago and it has had a major impact on how it feels and handles. That could be an option for you if you are keeping it.

As far as the having a more sporty feel in an ML550 compared to an Acadia I would imagine it would be a bit tighter. I cannot tell you for sure as I have the ML63 and its all business as far as handling goes. You may want to try another dealer in you area, I now mine has 4 ML550's sitting on its lot as of today. Hope this helps!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
You can get a better suspension on either the ml350 or 550. The air suspension has about 3 variations. The base air suspension which I got for about 1600 is great Better than he stock spring our 2012 350 had and has a sport mode that lowers it a bit and firms it up. Ml63 guys here will tell you to get the more handling suspension active suspension but I didn't need it for what I need on our 550.
To reiterate you can get the top of the line suspension on a 350 too
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Here is an article liked below that might help. Although only a few of the SUVs listed could be considered "luxury" brands, it might be a place for you to start. I also agree with the other poster's advice to check various dealers for the 550. All MB dealers have current inventory pages on their website so let your fingers do the walking. Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.
http://www.autobytel.com/luxury-spor...g-suvs-116769/
Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
I ordered my 550 after driving a bigger GL, sight unseen - I was actually going to walk away because I disliked the handling on the base 350.

I seem to be the exception to the rule, I vastly preferred regular steel suspension to airmatic (which I've had on my previous 3 vehicles), because it gives me more road feedback (airmatic "dulls" road sensation IMHO)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 AM

2011 Audi A5; 2011 Acadia Denali
Thank you so much everyone! A lot of really helpful information. I had missed that there was various available suspension systems for the M-Class.... something that would offer more road feedback would be right up with what I am looking for.

I'm comparing it (right now) to the BMW X6 50i (I know, I know... the body style isn't an overwhelming fav, but I like the handling and that the full HP shows up at 1200 RPM) and the Porsche Cayenne. Of the three (and for spacial practicality as I have two littles), the ML550 is vastly preferred. Apparently I may be in the minority as far as banks are concerned because the 36 month residual is currently at 47%. Not horrific.. but not squeal worthy either.

We go in this afternoon to discuss numbers. I'm hoping the Winter Event will help us land somewhere exciting.

I'm all ears if anyone has any "must haves" for the 550. Again, this is all new turf for me as I've never owned (or even previously driven) a Mercedes.

I am so grateful for all of the help!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by Thimee
I ordered my 550 after driving a bigger GL, sight unseen - I was actually going to walk away because I disliked the handling on the base 350.

I seem to be the exception to the rule, I vastly preferred regular steel suspension to airmatic (which I've had on my previous 3 vehicles), because it gives me more road feedback (airmatic "dulls" road sensation IMHO)
Does the 550 have a firmer suspension calibration than the 350? I thought that they were the same but didn't drive them back to back to see.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 PM

2013 ML550
-The designo package is beautiful and has held up great so far(16 months with 7 and 10 year olds and a golden retriever)
-On/off road package is outstanding and a bargain for the equipment you get... Also gives the 550 legitimate off road ability. Low range transfer case(2.98:1 reduction ratio) skid plates and Airmatic suspension and gives you the 6 driving modes and manual mode. Big difference between sport/comfort modes which seems like what you're looking for. Also makes a mig difference in steering effort and throttle response.
-20" AMG wheels are a steel for $750 and fill out the wheel wells better.
-lighting package
-Harmon Kardon for $850
-heated steering wheel $250
-heated rear seats for the kids $650
-ambient lighting is nice for door sills
-towing package is great for $550
-if you live anywhere cold(New York) you have to get the remote start. (Mid city engineering)
-driver assistance package is outstanding. I can drive 50 miles to NYC and rarely touch the brakes.
-parktronic is nice for the front/rear sensors and I believe includes the 360 camera for 14'
I'm happy with all of the options especially the Designo and on/off road package.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by akillian24
Thank you so much everyone! A lot of really helpful information. I had missed that there was various available suspension systems for the M-Class.... something that would offer more road feedback would be right up with what I am looking for.

I'm comparing it (right now) to the BMW X6 50i (I know, I know... the body style isn't an overwhelming fav, but I like the handling and that the full HP shows up at 1200 RPM) and the Porsche Cayenne. Of the three (and for spacial practicality as I have two littles), the ML550 is vastly preferred. Apparently I may be in the minority as far as banks are concerned because the 36 month residual is currently at 47%. Not horrific.. but not squeal worthy either.

We go in this afternoon to discuss numbers. I'm hoping the Winter Event will help us land somewhere exciting.

I'm all ears if anyone has any "must haves" for the 550. Again, this is all new turf for me as I've never owned (or even previously driven) a Mercedes.

I am so grateful for all of the help!
Upgraded AMG wheels, Lighting Package (this #1), Premium 1, HK, Keyless Go, Heated and Cooled Front Cupholders, IMO don't get leather, Ambient Lighting, Driver Assistance Package, and Parktronic with Active Park assist.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cjaredscott; 06-27-2019 at 05:02 PM.