M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

What options do I have for the rear seat pre wire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
What options do I have for the rear seat pre wire?

Got them option not really knowing what I could do with it. Is there hidden RCA in the rear seat I can add a monitor to and use the front DVD player?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
Rear Seat Entertainment system

LCD monitors built into the front head restraints offer first-rate entertainment to the second row. Multiple input sources let passengers enjoy DVDs and video games together or independently, with two sets of wireless headsets and wireless remotes, plus a DVD player under the rear seat as well as the standard in-dash DVD/CD player. Auxiliary inputs can connect portable gaming devices, video cameras or other devices. Audio can play via the vehicle sound system or discreetly through each headset.

Seems to me you'd have to add the monitors but it says there's multiple input sources so maybe you wouldn't have to add the DVD player under the seat. Someone who knows will probably give you better info, although, why not just ask the dealer????? PIck up the phone or go down to them and ask.

I did a Google search using the words "ML350 rear seat entertainment" and there seems to be quite a few Mercedes parts that run from 2000-3000 bucks and throw in the 'programming' word and your out a bit of money. Seems it has to be programmed to work after you install the stk MB parts. Drive the car and hand out books to the people in the rear seats.

Last edited by HAILERS2; 01-08-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 MB ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Got them option not really knowing what I could do with it. Is there hidden RCA in the rear seat I can add a monitor to and use the front DVD player?
There was another thread on this a short time ago. Basically its pre-wired for the MB system. Meaning there are no rca's but some type of factory connectors for use with MB equipment. Pretty much unless you want to spend money on the MB stuff your SOL. That is unless someone devises an intermediate connector that terminates in a set of rca's and power connects.

I'mm prewired as well although i will never use it. Was a waste of money IMO but I bought off the floor so I didn't have a choice.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 bluetec
I can't see any reason to pay for pre-wire. The probability of ever using it for something is quite low. I paid a premium for the Bi-Xenon lights which don't turn on corners. The lighting is great, but the the cornering aspect is just wishful thinking.
I bought my ML in December and the dealer threw in the plastic floor inserts and the carpet floor mats sit in the back-end. Again the probability is low for me ever to use them. The dealer even threw in a trunk tray, I guess to hold the floor mats. Then there is the roll-up trunk mat, that is supposed to protect the rear bumper and trunk-floor. That too is safely stored in the trunk tray. Pity there isn't a seat-belt to safely hold the crap from being airborne.
But, hey I bought a large MB roof carrier and roof racks that I have to leave on the ML because I have no where to store it when I am not using it. I bought it to use on holidays, but I will be going to Europe twice this year for holidays. So was it a practical choice? Probably not, unless I get another dog, which I may.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by Kaasmann
I can't see any reason to pay for pre-wire. The probability of ever using it for something is quite low. I paid a premium for the Bi-Xenon lights which don't turn on corners. The lighting is great, but the the cornering aspect is just wishful thinking.
I bought my ML in December and the dealer threw in the plastic floor inserts and the carpet floor mats sit in the back-end. Again the probability is low for me ever to use them. The dealer even threw in a trunk tray, I guess to hold the floor mats. Then there is the roll-up trunk mat, that is supposed to protect the rear bumper and trunk-floor. That too is safely stored in the trunk tray. Pity there isn't a seat-belt to safely hold the crap from being airborne.
But, hey I bought a large MB roof carrier and roof racks that I have to leave on the ML because I have no where to store it when I am not using it. I bought it to use on holidays, but I will be going to Europe twice this year for holidays. So was it a practical choice? Probably not, unless I get another dog, which I may.
Your xenons don't turn with your steering wheel? The corner lamp doesn't turn on though with corners as there is no bulb in that reflector
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For 14 there are only two things that can be considered from MB side that uses the prewire:

1) "Accessory" DVD systems - which mounts to front seats - each side has it's own DVD player - or can play on both from one side - does not play from front headunit -aboput $1900 system plus install

2) "Factory" install which adds the whole factory shebang - one reard DVD pl;ayer lower center consolde + ability to play/control from front COMAND - "think" about $3500 in parts.

The other way to think is to add non-powered mb iPad holder at $250 each - the "powered" iPad holders might not adapt to future iPad chassis changeup
Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
From what I understand, the reflector is what 'turns' to light the corner. Plus the speed of the vehicle comes into play.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
From what I understand, the reflector is what 'turns' to light the corner. Plus the speed of the vehicle comes into play.
No that's wrong. The actual main beam turns with the steering wheel
Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
For 14 there are only two things that can be considered from MB side that uses the prewire:

1) "Accessory" DVD systems - which mounts to front seats - each side has it's own DVD player - or can play on both from one side - does not play from front headunit -aboput $1900 system plus install

2) "Factory" install which adds the whole factory shebang - one reard DVD pl;ayer lower center consolde + ability to play/control from front COMAND - "think" about $3500 in parts.

The other way to think is to add non-powered mb iPad holder at $250 each - the "powered" iPad holders might not adapt to future iPad chassis changeup

Fab-

realize that this is a very old thread but was wondering whether the "powered" iPad holders need the prewiring?