M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

regrets getting ML without Premium Package 1?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
regrets getting ML without Premium Package 1?

Has anyone here ordered the ML without Premium Package 1? If so, did anyone have regrets not getting it? I plan on not getting it because I
don't feel it's worth the 4K it costs. I think Rear view camera, 115V Outlet and auto dimming mirrors would be nice to have but all the other stuff it comes with I really don't care about and I'm not using it in my current car.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
If you have kids in your home / vicinity i would recommend the rear view camera for safety. Besides once you use it it's so difficult to go back.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
No, Its not really worth the almost 4 Grand for the package, but I can GUARRANTY you will regret not adding the package. It contains items that every Luxury car should have, and not getting that particular package will make your expensive vehicle feel like a stripped down transportation only model. That's what will eat at you.

Get the package.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
It is definitely worth the $3920

iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable, Rearview Camera, Power Folding Mirrors, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Driver Memory Seat, Radio: COMAND Navigation & 6-disc CD/DVD, 7.0" high resolution LCD screen w/3D map views, enhanced voice control system, 10GB music register, 6-disc DVD changer, Gracenote album information including cover art, SD card slot, SiriusXM traffic and SiriusXM weather, 115V AC Power Outlet Located in 2nd row, Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column, Double Sun Visors, iPod/MP3 Media Interface, SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, SiriusXM real-time traffic and SiriusXM weather (w/6 month trial), Auto-Dimming Side & Rearview Mirrors
Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by xMB007x
It is definitely worth the $3920

iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable, Rearview Camera, Power Folding Mirrors, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Driver Memory Seat, Radio: COMAND Navigation & 6-disc CD/DVD, 7.0" high resolution LCD screen w/3D map views, enhanced voice control system, 10GB music register, 6-disc DVD changer, Gracenote album information including cover art, SD card slot, SiriusXM traffic and SiriusXM weather, 115V AC Power Outlet Located in 2nd row, Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column, Double Sun Visors, iPod/MP3 Media Interface, SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, SiriusXM real-time traffic and SiriusXM weather (w/6 month trial), Auto-Dimming Side & Rearview Mirrors
Ok here how I feel about each option:

- 80GB hard-drive navigation
google does a better job than the navi in my c-class and I get the turn by turn directions via car speakers because my Andriod phone is connected via bluetooth
- 10GB Music Register
all my music is on my Andriod, no need to copy to the car's hd
- Gracenote® media database
again, my phone has that
- Media Interface
not sure what that is
- SiriusXM Radio with 6-month All Access trial
I got rid of XM radio, wasn't happy listening to the same songs over and over
- SiriusXM Traffic and Weather with 6 months of service
I get traffic and weather for free on my phone
- Voice control with learning feature
maybe its my German accent but I had to repeat addresses to the point that I got annoyed
-14-way power driver seat with memory
nice but the car comes standard with power front seats with driver lumbar support
- Power tilt/telescoping steering column
nice but not necessary
- Auto-dimming rear view and driver-side mirrors
I would probably miss that
- Power-folding side mirrors
nice but not necessary
- Double sun visors
would be nice to have
- Household-type 115V power outlet
would be nice to have
- Rear view camera
would be nice have
Old 03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
You will certainly regret not getting it and consider this...although it costs you up front for all these niceties...you have a better optioned vehicle when the time comes to sell it..no you likely won't recoup the total 4K but you certainly will realize half..and it may help close a deal with the potential buyer looking at a model without these
Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
"Nice but not necessary".. well so is a Mercedes. Why drive a luxury suv without luxury features? You already convinced yourself you can live without it, Mercedes should be ashamed they even offer this truck without P1. I hear Ford is having a great sale on Explorer's.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 PM

2016 GL 450
I'm not implying that this applies to anyone in particular reading this thread; it's just a general comment. There are always exceptions, ymmv, etc.

Many people like to use their phones for navigation, music, etc., while driving. Many of THEM try to multitask, and operate the device and the vehicle at the same time. They're not very good at it. Being human, after all, places certain limits on multitasking, and you can spot them pretty easily as they jerkily negotiate a curve or belatedly react to other drivers on the road. They're more of a menace (to themselves and others) than they realize.

To the degree that built-in systems are designed for relatively safe on-road use, and are less likely to further distract the driver with notifications wholly unrelated to the task at hand, built-in options are worth every penny.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM

2013 ML
I have ML without P-1 Package, very happy with it. I was probably the first person who had an ML without P-1.

Instead of navigation I am WI-FI mirrowing my iphone5 on oem display & bluetooth is used for sound.(I just tell siri go home and thats it)
However as soon as Drive kit plus is released for iphone 5 in US, i ll be retrofitting that as well, for 1000$ installed cant beat it for functionality
of nav, internet music etc over NTG4.5 Nav.
I retrofit the rear camera by myself, works same as OEM.(I sell the rear camera kit for 300$)I also made a Rear Entertainment System as well
which works with OEM dvd player and allows me to use any headrest or roof monitors i want( will be selling a kit soon)

4000$ for rear camera and nav is a total rip-off (for me at least, I am in my mid 20s and dont like loans so 4,000 is still big money). Being a
Mechanical engineer and working on cars for many years there were just too many other things I could spend 4k on the ML. Personally now that
I look back I wish I spent the 4k on the Designo brown interior, the P-1 package I still dont care about too much about.

Mercedes makes it almost impossible to retrofit factory navigation, so your options are only Premium one(4,000$) or Drive kit plus(about 1,000$)
In Europe you can get the Becker map pilot, but not in USA.

Last edited by stas2007; 03-25-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
^ you have the skill to install these items yourself, its always great to save $$.. the OP is considering not having them at all.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by bigigg
"Nice but not necessary".. well so is a Mercedes. Why drive a luxury suv without luxury features? You already convinced yourself you can live without it, Mercedes should be ashamed they even offer this truck without P1. I hear Ford is having a great sale on Explorer's.
I think the ML is still a luxury car even without Premium Package 1. There are some other options that I care about like Airmatic, Keyless Go, heated rear seats and Harman Kardon sound. But what I really care about is the car itself with or without options. I would never spend 40K or more on an Infinity for example, to me that's just a Nissan with lots of options and it doesn't compare to a Mercedes.

Last edited by Strafzettel; 03-25-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by bigigg