M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2015 ML250 Bluetech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Isn't the ML 550 less comfy being so fast and sporty?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Good luck with your new 550, I think you'll be thrilled. And congratulations on grabbing one of the last non-AMG V8's. It's a travesty that they're dropping it from the line... I have a 13' Ml550 with 23K miles on it. I've had some quality issues(4th set of front rotors, second set of rear rotors, cam tensioner rattle needed to be fixed twice etc) but thankfully my dealership has been pretty excellent and kept me happy. The important thing is that every time I hand my loaner in, getting into my truck puts a smile on my face. It sounds as though you enjoyed the torque of your old diesel so you'll be thrilled with the V8TT. It's conservatively rated at 443lbs but spread over a much larger rpm band than the Bluetech. It's a 4900lb SUV that can hit 60mph in less than 5.0 seconds so have no illusions about good gas mileage. I live on Long Island,NY which is by no means hill country and get 15 around town/20-21 highway if you set the cruise below 75mph. Well worth it for the power it gives in my opinion. It's also very capable on the beach, deep snow(Pirelli winters), towing my 25ft Sea Ray(7500lbs with the trailer) and off roading... Don't know if you got it but the on/off road package is a bargain. Enjoy it and be warned, it is deceptively fast.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 ML250 Bluetech-image-2729788482.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by MichelleW
Thanks again for all of the feedback! My preference was to get the ML350 BTC however it just doesn't exist out there with what I want on it. I refuse to get a $70k+ vehicle with fake plastic seats. It goes against everything that I believe in. With that said, the only vehicle that I could find with the options/color that I want was the 550. Even at that, there were only two left in the USA with what I wanted on them. One dealer wasn't willing to give theirs up and the other thankfully dealer traded with my dealer. My dealer had a used 2012 on the lot and I test drove that. I fell in love with the power. I'm sure that I'm going to fall in love with my local gas station too but hey, spending $80k - what's an extra $1k/ year in fuel gonna hurt?
If anyone has any feedback on the ML550 I'd love to hear it!
I hope I'm making the right decision......
It's a gas pig but great torque, as you know.

Would you consider waiting for a MY15 ML400 (gas)? It will have more power and better fuel economy vs the current ML350 gas, and you can surely get it equipped the way you want. It also won't suffer from the painful turbo lag that the ML250/ML350 diesel have. Finally, the resale will also be much better than the ML550.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55

Would you consider waiting for a MY15 ML400 (gas)? It will have more power and better fuel economy vs the current ML350 gas, and you can surely get it equipped the way you want. It also won't suffer from the painful turbo lag that the ML250/ML350 diesel have. Finally, the resale will also be much better than the ML550.

Good luck!
Thank you. It's funny, I've been thinking about the resale (although I'm planning on keeping it for at least 5-6 years) and I actually wonder if it will keep a slightly better resale since they won't be making it anymore. If someone wants the power, they will most likely need to locate a used ML550 or bite the cost of a new ML63. But I'm truly buying it because I believe that I'll love it. I've always been a car gal. I do enjoy the throttle!
Honestly, I was perfectly happy with my 2010 ML350 BTC but since a meth addict decided that stealing it was a good idea I'm forced to "change my plan".
I never went into the story of how it was stolen but for entertainment value (sad for me), I will.
I treated that car like I pretty much worshiped it (ok, I admit...I did). I was so proud to have paid it off. I decided to get a full detail (totally unnecessary since you could pretty much eat off the floor), new tires, new windshield. The windshield was the last thing that I did. I paid extra to have the factory windshield installed with logos and all. The people that did the windshield put a scratch somehow in my back bumper. Oh, no problem (I hate it when people say that....it WAS a problem) they said, we will pay the body shop across the way to repair. That's how it began.....
I could write a long story but summary is that the idiot that owned the body shop left the car out in the alley unlocked with the key in it (we have some real rocket scientists living here in Reno, NV)!!
A homeless meth addict (now in jail and will be for 4-10, he pled guilty) thought that it was a good idea to take it, smoke whatever he could get his hands on in it, and to destroy the interior (interior damage to the tune of $13k). Did some great damage to the outside as well (front end). Not enough for the insurance company to total it so I got stuck with it back and a check for what they deemed they should pay me ($12k). I never ever wanted to set foot inside it again so I left it right there at the dealer (which is where I had it towed once recovered) and sold it to them for $20k.
God knows what he did in and to that car.....
That was over 5 weeks ago. I pulled the trigger on the ML550 (it's loaded on a truck to Reno as far as I know).
I just want to put this behind me. I want to love my car again. I know this sounds strange, but I understand now what people mean when they say they feel violated. I know it's "just a car" but it was my dream car. I'm not rich. I work hard, and play hard.
I'm now going to have a payment for the next 5 years. (Sigh)
But, with the wonderful feedback that I've gotten from all of you, I feel like I've made the right decision. I'm just excited and can't wait to get it here and start driving it.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 AM

2014 ML 550
Thanks again for all of the feedback! My preference was to get the ML350 BTC however it just doesn't exist out there with what I want on it. I refuse to get a $70k+ vehicle with fake plastic seats. It goes against everything that I believe in. With that said, the only vehicle that I could find with the options/color that I want was the 550. Even at that, there were only two left in the USA with what I wanted on them. One dealer wasn't willing to give theirs up and the other thankfully dealer traded with my dealer. My dealer had a used 2012 on the lot and I test drove that. I fell in love with the power. I'm sure that I'm going to fall in love with my local gas station too but hey, spending $80k - what's an extra $1k/ year in fuel gonna hurt?
The 550 is nothing short of amazing. 3000 miles on our 2014 and I'm totally in love. You won't be disappointed. We traded in a 2013 Audi A7. I loved that car and thought I'd miss it.....but I couldn't be happier with the change! The Ml550 is faster, and rides nearly as smooth with the air suspension. Gotten about 19 mpg on the highway so far....13-14 around town. I wouldn't care if this thing got 5 mpg....it's that fun to drive. But as others have said...it's deceptively FAST. To hear those turbos and v8 spool up is music to my ears lol.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 AM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by Drjcw24
The 550 is nothing short of amazing. 3000 miles on our 2014 and I'm totally in love. You won't be disappointed. We traded in a 2013 Audi A7. I loved that car and thought I'd miss it.....but I couldn't be happier with the change! The Ml550 is faster, and rides nearly as smooth with the air suspension. Gotten about 19 mpg on the highway so far....13-14 around town. I wouldn't care if this thing got 5 mpg....it's that fun to drive. But as others have said...it's deceptively FAST. To hear those turbos and v8 spool up is music to my ears lol.
Thank you! That's too funny! I'm so excited to get the car here and drive it!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
You might want to learn more about MBtex if that is your assumption regarding them. If you prefer leather then that's great but the tex is far from "fake plastic".
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by 27T
You might want to learn more about MBtex if that is your assumption regarding them. If you prefer leather then that's great but the tex is far from "fake plastic".
Hi! I am aware of what is in. In fact, the GLK250 BTC that the dealer has provided me to drive while I'm waiting has the MB tex. I absolutely love the smell and feel of real leather. I'm just not a fake gal. I'll relate it to this: I sell window coverings for a living. Many people buy plastic shutters for their home and love them. I wouldn't put a fake plastic shutter in my home if it was given to me for free. I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars selling people plastic shutters. If a client asks me for my opinion, I'd tell them 100% to purchase real wood. That's just what I believe in.
I just can't see purchasing an $80k car and not getting real leather. That's just what I want. I don't have kids to worry about them ruining real leather. If I did, maybe I'd have a different opinion.

I can't wait for this 550 to get here, thanks again for the feedback!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Except both in this case with MB-Tex and with Shutters, the "plastic" will last longer with less maintenance.

Call it what you will - the average person can't tell a difference. There's a reason MB-Tex is used in taxicabs in Germany, and not leather. Calling it "fake" belies the 40+ years of development and reputation behind the product.

I hope you enjoy the 550.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Michelle,

27 months with my 550 and I still get excited to drive it every day. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I spend very little time thinking about what my next car will be.

Pros: Power, torque, acceleration at all speeds, comfortable, quiet, great technology (Distronic), fantastic stereo, safe

Cons: Fuel economy not great but really who cares? Nav not as pretty as some but very functional, running boards suck and I wish I didn't have them, pano roof has stupid fabric sunshade so you can't tilt it up with sunshade closed. Minor cons for a lot of important pros.

My last ML had MB Tex and this one has leather. I would never NOT have leather again.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 2012MLBlue; 06-12-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Call it what you will - the average person can't tell a difference. There's a reason MB-Tex is used in taxicabs in Germany, and not leather. Calling it "fake" belies the 40+ years of development and reputation behind the product.
I guess some of us aren't average, nor are we driving taxis.

Spam has been around for more than 70 years and I don't think you'll hear many people claim that it's a good substitute for a real pork roast!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450

Spam has been around for more than 70 years and I don't think you'll hear many people claim that it's a good substitute for a real pork roast!

I guess I'm probably not the norm. I drive a Mercedes for the heritage and years of engineering behind it, not the star on the hood. Things like MB-Tex fall under that.

Comparing two interior textile options is hardly Spam to pork roast.

I also retract something I said earlier somewhat - MB-Tex to base leather is not really a noticeable difference... Nappa/Designo is obviously a noticeable difference, as it should be for the cost.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 06-12-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM

2013 ML550
I have the Auburn Designo option and love it. However, I'll admit, when I was shopping for my truck I was fooled when first looking at the MB tex, it's definitely a quality imitation. My two issues are that I find that it is much hotter than the real cow, every time I've had a loaner(8 times since I've owned my 13') my back gets hot. The material absorbs no moisture. My second issue is that you have to actually pay for real leather in a vehicle costing that much... I have no doubt that the MB tex would ultimately hold up better over time but thankfully my interior still looks new after 20 months with an 8 yr old, 11 yr old and golden retriever.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by DUTCH
I had a 2010 Q7 TDI that was traded for the ML350BTC. Big mistake!

The ML has a better dash, cluster and sound system (HK), but that's about it.

The Q7 drove better and smoother with its Airmatic suspension. The Airmatic on the ML rattles when going over speed bumps. Feels like I'm driving a Chevy compared to a luxury German SUV like the Q7. The Q7's transmission was smooth as silk. The ML's tranny is a hard shifter both up and down with engine flare before the drive train is fully warmed up.

The ML has been one of my bigger disappointments. Depending on what Audi does with their 2015 Q7 TDI, the ML will almost certainly be traded for one.

Just my personal opinion as determined by the seat of my pants in both vehicles.
It's not the AirMatic that "rattles" over bumps, it's ALL of the current ML's. I took delivery of my 2014 ML350BT in March. I ordered it with AirMatic and Active Curve. I noticed a clunking sound when hitting sharp bumps, like speed bumps and was concerned that it was the almost $5K in suspension options that was causing it. So, my dealer let me test drive a new ML350BT without AirMatic or Active Curve, and over preselected bumps, the other ML made the exact same clunking or rattling sound as mine. I must say that it is pretty much the ONLY complaint I have about the vehicle and I am learning to live with it. Is it possible that there might be an aftermarket fix out there? Anyone?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon

Good luck!
I like to think of myself as a "car guy." Over the last 40 or so years, I have bought or leased about 55 brand new cars for my own, personal use. That said, I feel kinda stupid admitting that I had no idea that my 2014ML350BT was turbocharged, because I have NEVER experienced any "painful turbo lag." I traded in my 2013 S550, and that car had horrible turbo lag, to the point where I would have happily traded the incredible acceleration, for a normally aspirated, smoother accelerating V-8, like in the Lexus LS460. I just don't feel any turbo lag in my beautiful BlueTEC ML.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I just don't feel any turbo lag in my beautiful BlueTEC ML.
You'll experience it the first time you try to make a quick left turn from a stop! The laggy transmission doesn't help the issue.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
Michelle,

27 months with my 550 and I still get excited to drive it every day. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I spend very little time thinking about what my next car will be.

Pros: Power, torque, acceleration at all speeds, comfortable, quiet, great technology (Distronic), fantastic stereo, safe

Cons: Fuel economy not great but really who cares? Nav not as pretty as some but very functional, running boards suck and I wish I didn't have them, pano roof has stupid fabric sunshade so you can't tilt it up with sunshade closed. Minor cons for a lot of important pros.

My last ML had MB Tex and this one has leather. I would never NOT have leather again.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much!!! I'm so excited to get it here!!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM

2014 ML550

Lol!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM

'13 ML550, '08 ML320cdi (retired) & '99 ML320 (retired)
Just found this post. I drove a 08 ML cdi for 5 years. Fantastic truck. Drove great, plenty of low end torque, and over 25 mpg on freeway trips. Decided to replace it with a 2013, but liked the styling on the ML550 better. So, almost the same equipment (pretty well loaded), different color, and a definite increase in the fun factor. The cdi was really strong at low rpms, but tended to drop off (acceleration was definitely off above 85 mph). The twin turbos on the 550 just keep going.

On the downside, mileage around Houston runs a true 16 to 17 mpg. Highway normally gets 18 to 19. Last weekend a 225 mile freeway run at 50 mph (on my spare, on Sunday, with no tire stores open), the true mileage was above 27 mpg. Very interesting, but I'm not doing that again.

Bottom line, right choice. Now, just order one of those full-time illuminated Stars and ignore the snickers. They're just envious.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by elveston
Just found this post. I drove a 08 ML cdi for 5 years. Fantastic truck. Drove great, plenty of low end torque, and over 25 mpg on freeway trips. Decided to replace it with a 2013, but liked the styling on the ML550 better. So, almost the same equipment (pretty well loaded), different color, and a definite increase in the fun factor. The cdi was really strong at low rpms, but tended to drop off (acceleration was definitely off above 85 mph). The twin turbos on the 550 just keep going.

On the downside, mileage around Houston runs a true 16 to 17 mpg. Highway normally gets 18 to 19. Last weekend a 225 mile freeway run at 50 mph (on my spare, on Sunday, with no tire stores open), the true mileage was above 27 mpg. Very interesting, but I'm not doing that again.

Bottom line, right choice. Now, just order one of those full-time illuminated Stars and ignore the snickers. They're just envious.
I cannot wait for mine to arrive! My dealer traded with a dealer in TN and they can't seem to get a truck to pick up the car. They keep raising the bid and so far it hasn't been picked up.
Yes, I'm sure it's way too hard to drive 50 mph in your car! Lol.
I'll let everyone know what I think.......if it gets here this century!!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Hi! I am aware of what is in. In fact, the GLK250 BTC that the dealer has provided me to drive while I'm waiting has the MB tex. I absolutely love the smell and feel of real leather. I'm just not a fake gal. I'll relate it to this: I sell window coverings for a living. Many people buy plastic shutters for their home and love them. I wouldn't put a fake plastic shutter in my home if it was given to me for free. I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars selling people plastic shutters. If a client asks me for my opinion, I'd tell them 100% to purchase real wood. That's just what I believe in.
I just can't see purchasing an $80k car and not getting real leather. That's just what I want. I don't have kids to worry about them ruining real leather. If I did, maybe I'd have a different opinion.

I can't wait for this 550 to get here, thanks again for the feedback!
I totally get what you're saying, and I'm not criticizing what you want, however your number one need is to have a car with adequate torque. There is no reason to pass on a car that satisfies your need because it doesnt have another feature. Same as if I pass on a house because of plastic shutters if my most important need was a house with a view. The leather can always be switched out on the car just like the shutters on a house. Enjoy the 550.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by 27T
I totally get what you're saying, and I'm not criticizing what you want, however your number one need is to have a car with adequate torque. There is no reason to pass on a car that satisfies your need because it doesnt have another feature. Same as if I pass on a house because of plastic shutters if my most important need was a house with a view. The leather can always be switched out on the car just like the shutters on a house. Enjoy the 550.
Thank you! It's finally on a truck headed here from TN. I should have it by this weekend. It's been 6 1/2 weeks since my car was stolen. It'll be nice to have one to call my own again!!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 PM

2014 ML550
Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful feedback. I picked up the car today and couldn't be happier! She's a beauty and drives like a dream. I was trying to post pics but couldn't figure out how. They are in my profile.
Again, thank you everyone. All of your feedback really helped me make the right decision!!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 BTC & C300
Congrats!! That is a beautiful ML!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM

2013 ML550
Enjoy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 ML250 Bluetech