M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML550 Break in period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML550
ML550 Break in period

The owners manual suggests a " break in" of 1,000 miles. Any feedback/suggestions?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Breakin period is correct - follow the instructions - then after drive your 550 like a mad-woman - and enjoy it !
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 AM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Breakin period is correct - follow the instructions - then after drive your 550 like a mad-woman - and enjoy it !
I'm looking forward to that! :-)
My question is, the owners manual just suggests varying my speed, or I would guess varying the RPM's would be most important? I've always taken that to heart with my new vehicles and I've never used cruise control during the first 1000 miles. I'm just curious what other members do for the "break in" period? I've been told that it's really not necessary anymore to do that, just don't floor it (can't wait to do that!)?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Break-in is a myth! Drive it like you stole it
Old 06-23-2014, 02:08 PM

2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
I agree, especially with turbo'd vehicles. Drive it hard so the turbos break in nice and good.

Audi has so many issues with their 2.0T motors with oil consumption from people babying it during the break in period. They found out people that drove the **** out of them didn't have any issues.

Same with Ford and their Ecotec motors... drive em like you stole them and allow the turbos to break in hard.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by PureNick
I agree, especially with turbo'd vehicles. Drive it hard so the turbos break in nice and good.

Audi has so many issues with their 2.0T motors with oil consumption from people babying it during the break in period. They found out people that drove the **** out of them didn't have any issues.

Same with Ford and their Ecotec motors... drive em like you stole them and allow the turbos to break in hard.
Thank you. :-)
That's how I WANT to drive it!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM

2014 ML550 4MATIC
I was wondering the same thing about the break in period. I'll be picking up my new 550 next week!

I live 500 km from my dealer, so the majority of my break in time will be highway driving home. I'll avoid the cruise control, but I'll take every opportunity to give it some gas and overtake the transport trucks!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by PharmMB
I was wondering the same thing about the break in period. I'll be picking up my new 550 next week!

I live 500 km from my dealer, so the majority of my break in time will be highway driving home. I'll avoid the cruise control, but I'll take every opportunity to give it some gas and overtake the transport trucks!
I'm just headed to pick up my new ML from getting an invisible bra put on. I'd HIGHLY recommend you have this put on before you make your road trip. Especially in light of the fact that you mentioned trucks!
I had one on my last ML and it saved me from many chips!!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
You will find as many opinions on break-in procedures as you will on oil-change intervals and tire pressures.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM

2014 ML550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MichelleW
I'm just headed to pick up my new ML from getting an invisible bra put on. I'd HIGHLY recommend you have this put on before you make your road trip. Especially in light of the fact that you mentioned trucks!
I had one on my last ML and it saved me from many chips!!
I strongly considered it for this vehicle, but in the end I opted out for a few reasons:

1. I don't usually buy into the various "protection" options that the dealers try to sell you.

2. Because of all the highway driving I do, I've learned to accept that my "baby" will get a few bumps and scrapes along the way.

3. I have a perfectionist auto paint detailer in my family who can make most chips disappear.....for free!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There are many "opinions" about break-in period - what would be the "gain" for Mercedes to steer you on break in in the "wrong" direction on that for 1st 1000 miles ?

Hand-cut bra in VentureShield material is awesome - not one of those computer "cut" whiz kits - and VentureShield MUCH better than Xpel on front end protection - VS is thicker and more impact resistant material but not commonly used by the computer kit cut guys since hand cutting is best way to get any bra to sit right especially at edges.

Keep the beat !
Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
There are many "opinions" about break-in period - what would be the "gain" for Mercedes to steer you on break in in the "wrong" direction on that for 1st 1000 miles ?

Hand-cut bra in VentureShield material is awesome - not one of those computer "cut" whiz kits - and VentureShield MUCH better than Xpel on front end protection - VS is thicker and more impact resistant material but not commonly used by the computer kit cut guys since hand cutting is best way to get any bra to sit right especially at edges.

Keep the beat !
I just had the VentureShield installed today. It ran $1200 for full hood, bumper, headlights, front fenders, mirrors and door handles. I've used this company for all of our vehicles (I own a window covering company and we use Mercedes Sprinter Vans for our sales and installations). We also did my husbands GMC Sierra Denali. It really is worth it. I never asked the dealer what they charge because I have a relationship with the company that does installs for many of the local dealers here. I think that $1200 is very reasonable. In fact, I'm going to have my doors and rear bumper done next week.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by MichelleW
I just had the VentureShield installed today. It ran $1200 for full hood, bumper, headlights, front fenders, mirrors and door handles. I've used this company for all of our vehicles (I own a window covering company and we use Mercedes Sprinter Vans for our sales and installations). We also did my husbands GMC Sierra Denali. It really is worth it. I never asked the dealer what they charge because I have a relationship with the company that does installs for many of the local dealers here. I think that $1200 is very reasonable. In fact, I'm going to have my doors and rear bumper done next week.
I agree on the break in. I saw my salesperson today and when I told her that I'm averaging 9 MPG, she said I definitely know where my right foot is!!! Lol. I am varying my speed/RPM's and I'm doing my best??!! Not to floor it......
Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by PharmMB
I strongly considered it for this vehicle, but in the end I opted out for a few reasons:

1. I don't usually buy into the various "protection" options that the dealers try to sell you.

2. Because of all the highway driving I do, I've learned to accept that my "baby" will get a few bumps and scrapes along the way.

3. I have a perfectionist auto paint detailer in my family who can make most chips disappear.....for free!
The perfectionist in the family helps! :-)
I'd still recommend doing it. For $1200 it's worth it! You don't need to go through the dealer. Go to VentureShield's web site and search for someone in the area of where you're getting your car.
I just think that it's much better to have the original paint whenever possible!
:-)
Enjoy your new ride! I LOVE mine!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by PureNick

Who is 'they'?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
I am ME and I do not believe you should drive the p|ss out a new vehicle but also agree that it should be broken in with moderation.

That is just me.