M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Some queestions about the ML350 4matic for current owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Some queestions about the ML350 4matic for current owners

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 ML350 4matic but have some questions I would like to ask current owners. My dealer is giving me what I feel is a fair price if I buy and take the car tomorrow as its end of month and I guess they are trying to hit their numbers. I'm still twisting their arm a little in hopes of getting a better price tomorrow AM. I figured in the mean time I would try to get the below questions answered. Thanks in advance to all.

1. I understand the car has speed sensitive steering. At highway speeds, does the steering get considerably tighter? or is it still loosey goosey?

2. Is it possible to add the illuminated running boards option/Puddle lights to a car that didn't come like that from the factory? The car I found that fits my needs closely has the brushed aluminum running boards but no puddle lights. Wondering if it can be purchased and installed afterwards. My salesman says no but wondering what others may think.

3. The illuminated star, can the brightness be controlled? Or can it be turned on and off as desired or is it one setting and one brightness only?

4. The ambient lighting, can it be turned off?

5. I wish MB offered a remote start option. Unfortunately they don't. Has anyone tried out the mid-city engineering solution?

6. Can the heated and cooled cup option be added afterwards?

7. Does anyone have the iPad kit and if so, how do you like it? Easy to use or not worth it. I'd get the entertainment option but the screens are very small compared to the 9" and 16" on my other current cars.

8. The Harmon kardon sound system, can the bass levels of the sub woofer be adjusted independently of the bass of the regular speakers?

9. Any recommended websites where I can go and buy MB factory parts such as splash gaurds, etc...?

thanks again all.

And btw, I did test drive the car and only had a chance to play with some of the features and not all and I didn't get a chance to drive it on the highway due to detours and construction that were going on. I did try to play with the sound system but couldn't find the subwoofer option.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 ML350 4matic but have some questions I would like to ask current owners. My dealer is giving me what I feel is a fair price if I buy and take the car tomorrow as its end of month and I guess they are trying to hit their numbers. I'm still twisting their arm a little in hopes of getting a better price tomorrow AM. I figured in the mean time I would try to get the below questions answered. Thanks in advance to all.

1. I understand the car has speed sensitive steering. At highway speeds, does the steering get considerably tighter? or is it still loosey goosey?

It gets very confortable and stable. You can also use the sport mode that will stiffen the steering even more.

2. Is it possible to add the illuminated running boards option/Puddle lights to a car that didn't come like that from the factory? The car I found that fits my needs closely has the brushed aluminum running boards but no puddle lights. Wondering if it can be purchased and installed afterwards. My salesman says no but wondering what others may think.

I think you can, but I would not advise. These cars are very sensitive on the electrical side. Besides, the door sill it is iluminated(the words Mercedes Benz are iluminated when you open the doors)

3. The illuminated star, can the brightness be controlled? Or can it be turned on and off as desired or is it one setting and one brightness

I never saw intensity control, only on and off.

Yes, you can choose three different colors or turn off.

5. I wish MB offered a remote start option. Unfortunately they don't. Has anyone tried out the mid-city engineering solution?

Never did myself but heard it is pretty good.

Nope.

7. Does anyone have the iPad kit and if so, how do you like it? Easy to use or not worth it. I'd get the entertainment option but the screens are very small compared to the 9" and 16" on my other current cars.

I just have the command.

8. The Harmon kardon sound system, can the bass levels of the sub woofer be adjusted independently of the bass of the regular speakers?

Not sure. But I don't think so.

9. Any recommended websites where I can go and buy MB factory parts such as splash gaurds, etc...?

No. The only thing I bought was the door lock pins. I didn't like the cheep plastic ones that came. I like the ones that flushes with the door. I did get these ones off ebay.

thanks again all.

And btw, I did test drive the car and only had a chance to play with some of the features and not all and I didn't get a chance to drive it on the highway due to detours and construction that were going on. I did try to play with the sound system but couldn't find the subwoofer option.
Sorry, I inserted the answers above.
Sergio.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The running boards look like they would be handy, but in reality, they keep your legs extra far from the vehicle when you get in and dirty your pants legs. Try without them first. The dealer near me adds the non lighted ones to stock vehicles they have probably removed from cars they've sold where the buyer didn't want them.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-30-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Thanks guys for the answers. I actually do need the running boards because I have young kids that climb in and out, plus my wife isn't that tall
Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by ntwillie1

3. The illuminated star, can the brightness be controlled? Or can it be turned on and off as desired or is it one setting and one brightness only?

thanks again all.

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but it sounds to me like you should definitely find ANOTHER ML to buy. Better yet, just bite the bullet and ORDER the exact ML you want. Doing all of these modifications is not a smart thing to do. Why anyone would compromise and buy a new vehicle, "off the rack," on such a large, important purchase, is just beyond me.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Streemliner, you're such a jerk!!. hahaha, just kidding. I ended up not buying the ML350. I bought an ML 400 instead. It had nearly everything I wanted. I didn't build and order one because I already waited 7 weeks on the other car I wanted and it didn't come in yet and I didn't want to start over and wait another 3 months. So anyway, all set and happy now and pretty much got everything except entertainment but a couple of iPads will take care of that.

W
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML350 4 MATIC BASE
Steering coupling problem on 2015 ML350

This one is for ntwillie, u don't have to worry about ur questions 2 through 10, u have to worry about the main mechanical parts, here is what happened to my new ML350, i got 2015 ML350 4MATIC brand new one, it has steering coupling problem since day one, i was not noticed that a little sound on test driving day, one week later i figured it out and took it to the dealer, it has only millage 2233, they fixed it and i just got it back today (01/21/15), they said ML has that problem, so be aware of that or may be think about of the other brand
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 PM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Originally Posted by myozin
This one is for ntwillie, u don't have to worry about ur questions 2 through 10, u have to worry about the main mechanical parts, here is what happened to my new ML350, i got 2015 ML350 4MATIC brand new one, it has steering coupling problem since day one, i was not noticed that a little sound on test driving day, one week later i figured it out and took it to the dealer, it has only millage 2233, they fixed it and i just got it back today (01/21/15), they said ML has that problem, so be aware of that or may be think about of the other brand
Thanks for the heads up. My ML400 2015 has close to 6k miles already but so far so good. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm glad MB fixed yours.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I don't mean to be a jerk here, but it sounds to me like you should definitely find ANOTHER ML to buy. Better yet, just bite the bullet and ORDER the exact ML you want. Doing all of these modifications is not a smart thing to do. Why anyone would compromise and buy a new vehicle, "off the rack," on such a large, important purchase, is just beyond me.
THIS. Adding the items you wish for will cost many times more than what it would cost to find a vehicle with the options you want.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by myozin
When you said a little sound, does it feel through the steering wheel at high speed? I picked up mine yesterday, I've notice at high speed I felt a little vibration/noise, is that what you had experienced? Thx