M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters

I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
Want enough power so I'm not sure about the diesel
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by mbclk350
I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
We have a ML550 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the winter. I have to say both are great cars, but you can definitely notice the more luxurious side of the ML. The 4Matic is phenomenal in the snow, probably better than the jeep. We visit park city quite a bit, and i might suggest that if you end up getting the ML, putting some Blizzacks or other type of snow tires on it.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Both of our 4matics(E50 class and M350 class) have been excellent during our cape cod winters, where "lake effect" snow combined with salt restrictions creates lousy, but flat, driving conditions.

The best car I ever had on snow was an AWD ford escape hybrid, I have no explanation aside from the 100lb battery that sat right over the rear wheels, maybe the smallish, narrow tires, but damn you could not get that car to misbehave in snow.

Now I have an ML550 and a Ford F250 v-10 4x4 beater...on questionable days I can have the locking diff 4WD rolling disaster that, when crashed, I can discard. don't have to worry about the benz and salt, or that lady in that rwd caddy that's sliding towards me sideways.
In your area it's different, you get snow by the yard, and people are probably more adept at snow driving. In my area, performance of AWD vs 4WD is meaningless, as it's the motorists with 2wd that cause most of the accidents...or the sudden realization that no amount of AWD helps you slow down.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML350 BT, 1998 BMW 540i/6
You should at least test drive the diesel. The diesel is low on horsepower, but has tons of torque. The engine performance is great, and I love that it all happens at low RPM.

It is a very heavy vehicle for its size, and we've found the traction with 4 snow tires to be extremely good. We have not put the 4matic and traction control through its paces in situations where the traction varies between tires, but the salesman certainly talked up its capabilities. So far, we've had no trouble anywhere.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM

2014 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by rtw_travel
You should at least test drive the diesel. The diesel is low on horsepower, but has tons of torque. The engine performance is great, and I love that it all happens at low RPM.

It is a very heavy vehicle for its size, and we've found the traction with 4 snow tires to be extremely good. We have not put the 4matic and traction control through its paces in situations where the traction varies between tires, but the salesman certainly talked up its capabilities. So far, we've had no trouble anywhere.
+1
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
I drive an ML550 MY15 in Calgary, where winters are brutal and the snow is worse. The 4matic beats the pants off the Escalade that I replaced recently. I've never driven a more capable vehicle in the snow.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
I drive an ML550 MY15 in Calgary, where winters are brutal and the snow is worse. The 4matic beats the pants off the Escalade that I replaced recently. I've never driven a more capable vehicle in the snow.

I gave my ML550 to my wife to drive during "juno" (parking her E350). She works for a healthcare company and must report during storms, no exceptions.

During this state of emergency, roads were going unplowed for hours, and when she left the hospital in the heart of the storm(9pm) the roads were choked with stranded vehicles...she was able to navigate to a nearby hotel through snow a foot deep (plus drifting) with no difficulty.

I have the ML back for the first time in 10 days, more snow tomorrow means she'll likely take the ML again...I think she's going to want to swap vehicles , permanently, very shortly. fine with me, but I'll trade the E350 in short order.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM

2012 ML550
I picked up my 2012 ML550 at the end of January and drove it 1200km (half of that in terrible winter conditions). Since then I have been motoring around northern Alberta and the 4matic seems to handle things okay.

A couple of points I would mention:

1) My domestic 4x4 truck (1/2 ton) is far superior when the roads get ugly (deep snow/ruts) and has considerably better fuel mileage even with it's V8 (I'm getting 16 city and 11.5 highway l/100km - I can't get the ML under 15.9 to save my life and I'm driving very easy).

2) The thing is horrible in cold conditions - doesn't heat up no matter how long you run it. Windshield will not clear fully regardless of how far you drive it and at what rpm. This may be fine if you're parking it in a garage and it doesn't snow while you're traveling, but if you have to park it outside in bad weather say goodbye to visibility.

It is comfortable without a doubt, but I bought mine to drive in winter specifically and am greatly regretting that decision. I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun in the summer though.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me get with the Canadian comments...

1) What I repeat over-and-over here - and I get our cold weather Northern Friends don't hear it - Option #875 "Heated Windshield Reservoir" in the US is a $105 SPC factory option - works wonders with summer bug cleaning too.

2) No one here so far has suggested a twin-turbo V8 ML550 (or current GL550 either) is top's in the snow - if we had to "rank" ML's the ML350 and ML250 BT both with "standard" suspension I would consider a even match handling- I am not a personal fan of Airmatic in the snow unless you have Off/Road added (which is not avail ML250).

Keep the beat !
Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 AM

ml350 bluetec
I have a ML 350 BT, the 20" AMG R265 all-season tires makes you feel like you are floating in snow with airmatic, whereas the 19" winter tires (a narrower tire) are far superior and you don't get the sensation you are about to float away in 12 inches of snow.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
In my opinion you should buy a 350 diesel which will guarantee you enough bhp and Nm with the 4matic( 4 winter tyres +19 inches wheels) you'll drive easily into snow without any fear.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 AM

GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Let me get with the Canadian comments...

1) What I repeat over-and-over here - and I get our cold weather Northern Friends don't hear it - Option #875 "Heated Windshield Reservoir" in the US is a $105 SPC factory option - works wonders with summer bug cleaning too.

2) No one here so far has suggested a twin-turbo V8 ML550 (or current GL550 either) is top's in the snow - if we had to "rank" ML's the ML350 and ML250 BT both with "standard" suspension I would consider a even match handling- I am not a personal fan of Airmatic in the snow unless you have Off/Road added (which is not avail ML250).

Keep the beat !
I could not agree more. But the heated windshield washer system seems to come standard on the ML550 in Canada. I discovered it by accident and was delighted. It works perfectly. I had it on my 2011 Escalades, but the accursed GM company removed it without my consent during an oil change because apparently they occasionally caught fire. Good old GM engineering, I guess.

The twin turbo is amazing in the snow. It's easy to forget how important power is in plowing through deep snow and in proper traction control. The snow setting on the ML550 makes it an amazingly capable vehicle in bad winter weather. In fact, I'm taking mine skiing tomorrow to Sunshine Village, where they just closed the roads to cars due to the severe winter weather. SUV's with snows are allowed, apparently.

My wife gets her diamond white/chestnut/designo/AMG appearance ML550 on Monday! I had installed, the lighted running boards kit on it for her as a surprise. I'm looking forward to it. She's lamenting the loss of her Platinum Escalade, but I think that she will be "converted" after a week or so in the ML550.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by gregweis
I picked up my 2012 ML550 at the end of January and drove it 1200km (half of that in terrible winter conditions). Since then I have been motoring around northern Alberta and the 4matic seems to handle things okay.

A couple of points I would mention:

1) My domestic 4x4 truck (1/2 ton) is far superior when the roads get ugly (deep snow/ruts) and has considerably better fuel mileage even with it's V8 (I'm getting 16 city and 11.5 highway l/100km - I can't get the ML under 15.9 to save my life and I'm driving very easy).

2) The thing is horrible in cold conditions - doesn't heat up no matter how long you run it. Windshield will not clear fully regardless of how far you drive it and at what rpm. This may be fine if you're parking it in a garage and it doesn't snow while you're traveling, but if you have to park it outside in bad weather say goodbye to visibility.

It is comfortable without a doubt, but I bought mine to drive in winter specifically and am greatly regretting that decision. I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun in the summer though.
My 550 is averaging 13.8 L/100 km over three years and 31,000 km. This is 95% commuting on the QEW with average speed of 45-50 km/hr. Unless you are idling in park for long periods not sure how you can't get under 15.9.

Once again as mentioned in your other thread my 2012 is great in very cold snowy weather. You either have a defective system or are running with recirculate turned on and A/C off to get the fogging you have mentioned. We have had a very cold winter here in Ontario so far and snow on 80% of days since January first and I have zero complaints about my ML in these conditions.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 AM

GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue

Once again as mentioned in your other thread my 2012 is great in very cold snowy weather. You either have a defective system or are running with recirculate turned on and A/C off to get the fogging you have mentioned.
Agreed - It is possible that you need to change your heating settings in your vehicle; and it may be worth a trip to the dealer for you. I'm amazed at the gas mileage in my ML550....and I am like an irresponsible teenager in his Mom's boyfriend's hotrod......I basically punch it whenever I get a chance and I drive it quite aggressively. I'm astonished at the fuel efficiency of the vehicle....not that I care about it. I'd drive it even if it had totally crappy fuel efficiency. If I wanted fuel efficiency, I'd buy a Prius and ignore the environmental devastation of Lithium Strip Mining in China like all the other tree huggers.

Having said that, I can totally see myself getting (one day) a Tesla P85. THAT vehicle REALLY moves! No charging stations at the ski hills though