Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W166)
Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters >

Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters

Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters

 
Old 01-23-2015, 01:27 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters

I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
Want enough power so I'm not sure about the diesel
mbclk350 is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F85 X5M, 2014 ML550 (Gone), AMG GTS, GLS63
Originally Posted by mbclk350 View Post
I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
Want enough power so I'm not sure about the diesel
We have a ML550 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the winter. I have to say both are great cars, but you can definitely notice the more luxurious side of the ML. The 4Matic is phenomenal in the snow, probably better than the jeep. We visit park city quite a bit, and i might suggest that if you end up getting the ML, putting some Blizzacks or other type of snow tires on it.
jchochla is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
schorert1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mbclk350 View Post
I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
Want enough power so I'm not sure about the diesel
Both of our 4matics(E50 class and M350 class) have been excellent during our cape cod winters, where "lake effect" snow combined with salt restrictions creates lousy, but flat, driving conditions.

The best car I ever had on snow was an AWD ford escape hybrid, I have no explanation aside from the 100lb battery that sat right over the rear wheels, maybe the smallish, narrow tires, but damn you could not get that car to misbehave in snow.

Now I have an ML550 and a Ford F250 v-10 4x4 beater...on questionable days I can have the locking diff 4WD rolling disaster that, when crashed, I can discard. don't have to worry about the benz and salt, or that lady in that rwd caddy that's sliding towards me sideways.
In your area it's different, you get snow by the yard, and people are probably more adept at snow driving. In my area, performance of AWD vs 4WD is meaningless, as it's the motorists with 2wd that cause most of the accidents...or the sudden realization that no amount of AWD helps you slow down.
schorert1 is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 56
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 BT, 1998 BMW 540i/6
You should at least test drive the diesel. The diesel is low on horsepower, but has tons of torque. The engine performance is great, and I love that it all happens at low RPM.


It is a very heavy vehicle for its size, and we've found the traction with 4 snow tires to be extremely good. We have not put the 4matic and traction control through its paces in situations where the traction varies between tires, but the salesman certainly talked up its capabilities. So far, we've had no trouble anywhere.
rtw_travel is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: markham, ON, Canada
Posts: 172
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
You should at least test drive the diesel. The diesel is low on horsepower, but has tons of torque. The engine performance is great, and I love that it all happens at low RPM.


It is a very heavy vehicle for its size, and we've found the traction with 4 snow tires to be extremely good. We have not put the 4matic and traction control through its paces in situations where the traction varies between tires, but the salesman certainly talked up its capabilities. So far, we've had no trouble anywhere.
+1
Samaral is offline  
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Subatomic Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by mbclk350 View Post
I am thinking of purchasing either an ML or GL but not sure how they fair in the winter mountain driving in Park City UT. 4Matic goes without saying but should I go for an American SUV (arrgh) with actual 4WD? Any options better than others?
Want enough power so I'm not sure about the diesel
I drive an ML550 MY15 in Calgary, where winters are brutal and the snow is worse. The 4matic beats the pants off the Escalade that I replaced recently. I've never driven a more capable vehicle in the snow.
Subatomic Power is offline  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
schorert1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power View Post
I drive an ML550 MY15 in Calgary, where winters are brutal and the snow is worse. The 4matic beats the pants off the Escalade that I replaced recently. I've never driven a more capable vehicle in the snow.

I gave my ML550 to my wife to drive during "juno" (parking her E350). She works for a healthcare company and must report during storms, no exceptions.

During this state of emergency, roads were going unplowed for hours, and when she left the hospital in the heart of the storm(9pm) the roads were choked with stranded vehicles...she was able to navigate to a nearby hotel through snow a foot deep (plus drifting) with no difficulty.

I have the ML back for the first time in 10 days, more snow tomorrow means she'll likely take the ML again...I think she's going to want to swap vehicles , permanently, very shortly. fine with me, but I'll trade the E350 in short order.
schorert1 is offline  
Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML550
I picked up my 2012 ML550 at the end of January and drove it 1200km (half of that in terrible winter conditions). Since then I have been motoring around northern Alberta and the 4matic seems to handle things okay.

A couple of points I would mention:

1) My domestic 4x4 truck (1/2 ton) is far superior when the roads get ugly (deep snow/ruts) and has considerably better fuel mileage even with it's V8 (I'm getting 16 city and 11.5 highway l/100km - I can't get the ML under 15.9 to save my life and I'm driving very easy).

2) The thing is horrible in cold conditions - doesn't heat up no matter how long you run it. Windshield will not clear fully regardless of how far you drive it and at what rpm. This may be fine if you're parking it in a garage and it doesn't snow while you're traveling, but if you have to park it outside in bad weather say goodbye to visibility.

It is comfortable without a doubt, but I bought mine to drive in winter specifically and am greatly regretting that decision. I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun in the summer though.
gregweis is offline  
Old 02-05-2015, 01:30 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,941
Likes: 0
Received 575 Likes on 449 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me get with the Canadian comments...

1) What I repeat over-and-over here - and I get our cold weather Northern Friends don't hear it - Option #875 "Heated Windshield Reservoir" in the US is a $105 SPC factory option - works wonders with summer bug cleaning too.

2) No one here so far has suggested a twin-turbo V8 ML550 (or current GL550 either) is top's in the snow - if we had to "rank" ML's the ML350 and ML250 BT both with "standard" suspension I would consider a even match handling- I am not a personal fan of Airmatic in the snow unless you have Off/Road added (which is not avail ML250).

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is online now  
Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 bluetec
I have a ML 350 BT, the 20" AMG R265 all-season tires makes you feel like you are floating in snow with airmatic, whereas the 19" winter tires (a narrower tire) are far superior and you don't get the sensation you are about to float away in 12 inches of snow.
Kaasmann is offline  
Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Phoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 112
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
In my opinion you should buy a 350 diesel which will guarantee you enough bhp and Nm with the 4matic( 4 winter tyres +19 inches wheels) you'll drive easily into snow without any fear.
Phoeny is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Subatomic Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Let me get with the Canadian comments...

1) What I repeat over-and-over here - and I get our cold weather Northern Friends don't hear it - Option #875 "Heated Windshield Reservoir" in the US is a $105 SPC factory option - works wonders with summer bug cleaning too.

2) No one here so far has suggested a twin-turbo V8 ML550 (or current GL550 either) is top's in the snow - if we had to "rank" ML's the ML350 and ML250 BT both with "standard" suspension I would consider a even match handling- I am not a personal fan of Airmatic in the snow unless you have Off/Road added (which is not avail ML250).

Keep the beat !
I could not agree more. But the heated windshield washer system seems to come standard on the ML550 in Canada. I discovered it by accident and was delighted. It works perfectly. I had it on my 2011 Escalades, but the accursed GM company removed it without my consent during an oil change because apparently they occasionally caught fire. Good old GM engineering, I guess.

The twin turbo is amazing in the snow. It's easy to forget how important power is in plowing through deep snow and in proper traction control. The snow setting on the ML550 makes it an amazingly capable vehicle in bad winter weather. In fact, I'm taking mine skiing tomorrow to Sunshine Village, where they just closed the roads to cars due to the severe winter weather. SUV's with snows are allowed, apparently.

My wife gets her diamond white/chestnut/designo/AMG appearance ML550 on Monday! I had installed, the lighted running boards kit on it for her as a surprise. I'm looking forward to it. She's lamenting the loss of her Platinum Escalade, but I think that she will be "converted" after a week or so in the ML550.
Subatomic Power is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 355
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by gregweis View Post
I picked up my 2012 ML550 at the end of January and drove it 1200km (half of that in terrible winter conditions). Since then I have been motoring around northern Alberta and the 4matic seems to handle things okay.

A couple of points I would mention:

1) My domestic 4x4 truck (1/2 ton) is far superior when the roads get ugly (deep snow/ruts) and has considerably better fuel mileage even with it's V8 (I'm getting 16 city and 11.5 highway l/100km - I can't get the ML under 15.9 to save my life and I'm driving very easy).

2) The thing is horrible in cold conditions - doesn't heat up no matter how long you run it. Windshield will not clear fully regardless of how far you drive it and at what rpm. This may be fine if you're parking it in a garage and it doesn't snow while you're traveling, but if you have to park it outside in bad weather say goodbye to visibility.

It is comfortable without a doubt, but I bought mine to drive in winter specifically and am greatly regretting that decision. I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun in the summer though.
My 550 is averaging 13.8 L/100 km over three years and 31,000 km. This is 95% commuting on the QEW with average speed of 45-50 km/hr. Unless you are idling in park for long periods not sure how you can't get under 15.9.

Once again as mentioned in your other thread my 2012 is great in very cold snowy weather. You either have a defective system or are running with recirculate turned on and A/C off to get the fogging you have mentioned. We have had a very cold winter here in Ontario so far and snow on 80% of days since January first and I have zero complaints about my ML in these conditions.
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Subatomic Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post

Once again as mentioned in your other thread my 2012 is great in very cold snowy weather. You either have a defective system or are running with recirculate turned on and A/C off to get the fogging you have mentioned.
Agreed - It is possible that you need to change your heating settings in your vehicle; and it may be worth a trip to the dealer for you. I'm amazed at the gas mileage in my ML550....and I am like an irresponsible teenager in his Mom's boyfriend's hotrod......I basically punch it whenever I get a chance and I drive it quite aggressively. I'm astonished at the fuel efficiency of the vehicle....not that I care about it. I'd drive it even if it had totally crappy fuel efficiency. If I wanted fuel efficiency, I'd buy a Prius and ignore the environmental devastation of Lithium Strip Mining in China like all the other tree huggers.

Having said that, I can totally see myself getting (one day) a Tesla P85. THAT vehicle REALLY moves! No charging stations at the ski hills though
Subatomic Power is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Purchasing ML for Park City Winters


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: