M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Warranty and Service Plans?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB ML 350
Warranty and Service Plans?

Ok guys, my ML 350 that I ordered back in mid January is finally at the dealership. Now here is my question. I know when I go in I'm going to get hit with the sales pitch on the warranty and the service plans. First, do you guys think either of these things is worth it? Secondly, what would be a good price for either the extended warranty or the service plans? I appreciate any and all of your opinions.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by dprice03
Ok guys, my ML 350 that I ordered back in mid January is finally at the dealership. Now here is my question. I know when I go in I'm going to get hit with the sales pitch on the warranty and the service plans. First, do you guys think either of these things is worth it? Secondly, what would be a good price for either the extended warranty or the service plans? I appreciate any and all of your opinions.
Depends on how long you expect to keep it. The loss you take on depreciation after delivery is at least partially offset when you keep a car with no payments for 8 years or longer. Repairs are horrifically expensive when off warranty. I like to keep my car as long as the frequency of repairs is reasonable. I couldn't keep an off warranty Benz due to the expense, therefore I have an ELW.

I also prepaid maintenance for 3 years, and took the tire & whell repl plan from MBUSA due to the number of unrepairable flats I've had from nails over the last 5 years at this condo.

The latter 2 are completely optional for me.. the ELW is mandatory for me... its your choice though.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes Benz ML350
Warranty

I'd definitely get an extended warranty if you plan on keeping it past the factory 4yr/50k. The good thing is you have up till the warranty expires to purchase the extended. My local dealership wanted $3500 for 2 additional years and up to 100k. I called another and they quoted $3000. After a few more calls I found Cliff Hohas at Hendrick Motors of Charlotte and after a few minutes I got it down to $2600. I did it all over the phone and it didn't take that long. I had a 2012 ML350 Bluetec before my current gas model and it was just out of warranty. That mistake cost me several thousand dollars.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Good comments...

1) Extended Limited Warranty - please note in the event your MB is sold or traded before the 4yr/50K mile new car warranty expires - ELW is fully refundable with 6 week for refund processing time. Some customer's use ELW to "park" extra cash for their next vehicle. Once into ELW - any refund is prorated based on time or miles, whichever is more - LESS any paid ELW repairs. ELW is transferable if vehcile is later resold to private buyer with like $35 transfer fee.

2) Prepaid Service - is non-refundable and/or non-transferable. Depending on service schedule for a particular vehicle - if you are planning to keep your vehicle for 40K miles or more - some consider a 3yr/30K plan purchased AFTER the 1st 10K service a better value - same price either way - but covers 2-3-4 service with 40K service typically heftier out-of-pocket than 20K.

3) Depending on personal usage - there are other coverages, such as MB Wheel&Tire - that can be good values - often dealers may have a non-MB package of extra coverage incl Wheel&Tire/Glass/Dings that can be affordable values as well. Normally, these types of coverage can often be non-refundable/non-transferable - so always best to ask about those refund/transfer options.

Keep the beat !
Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 PM

2015 MB ML 350
Thanks for all of your replies. Here is what I think I am going to do. When I did my deal back in mid January, there were no rebates and no set release date on the GLE. I am fairly certain that in fine print on the contract I did back in mid January that "all rebates are due the dealer" or something to that effect. I would have to pull the contract to know for sure, but I bet that language was in there. So.... I intend to use the current $1,500 rebate as bait to purchase an extended warranty. If I can't get the rebate, then I can at least get it put towards the purchase of an extended warranty. So for example, if they want to sell me an extended warranty for $2,500, I will offer $1,000 plus the $1,500 rebate to purchase it.

I'm curious to know of ANY and ALL prices that people have paid for extended warranties. Please be honest about what you paid, I would love to gather that info and use it to determine a reasonable purchase price for an extended warranty.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 PM

2014 ML 350 bluetec
in canada the extended full

2 year 140,000km is $3200CDN
3 year 160,000km is $3650CDN (however, the last year is only power train)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:08 PM

2015 MB ML 350
I sent my dealer an email today telling him that I believe the $1,500 rebate should come to me. He replied by saying that there was a similar rebate when I ordered in January. I don't believe that's true. Back in January I checked both truecar.com and the MB website and there were NO rebates listed at the time. He said in his email today that the only way they agreed to my "great price" was because of the rebate. He said they were "gambling the rebate would still be available when my vehicle arrived (April) and fortunately for them it is". I think this guy is blowing smoke up my a**. Can anybody verify that there weren't any customer rebates available to the public on the ML back in January?

Last edited by dprice03; 04-16-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:19 PM

2015 MB ML 350
I sent my dealer an email today telling him that I believe the $1,500 rebate should come to me. He replied by saying that there was a similar rebate when I ordered in January. I don't believe that's true. Back in January I checked both truecar.com and the MB website and there were NO rebates listed at the time. He said in his email today that the only way they agreed to my "great price" was because of the rebate. He said they were "gambling the rebate would still be available when my vehicle arrived (April) and fortunately for them it is". I think this guy is blowing smoke up my a**. Can anybody verify that there weren't any customer rebates available to the public on the ML back in January?
Well, I sent another email to the dealer stating my case and the dealer replied agreeing to give me the rebate. I may use the rebate towards an extended warranty.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:30 AM

2015 MB ML 350
I have a question for those who have purchased an extended warranty. I want the extended warranty, but I want to make sure that I get the ELW through MBUSA, not a warranty through some 3rd party. I don't know what my dealer offers, but if he only offers a 3rd party warranty, how do I purchase the ELW with MBUSA at a negotiated rate? I have read threads where people were posting ELW price packages through this dealer or that dealer. Can you literally buy the ELW through any dealer across the US, no matter what dealer you bought your vehicle from?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
I have a question for those who have purchased an extended warranty. I want the extended warranty, but I want to make sure that I get the ELW through MBUSA, not a warranty through some 3rd party. I don't know what my dealer offers, but if he only offers a 3rd party warranty, how do I purchase the ELW with MBUSA at a negotiated rate? I have read threads where people were posting ELW price packages through this dealer or that dealer. Can you literally buy the ELW through any dealer across the US, no matter what dealer you bought your vehicle from?
Yes, it appears so. Just a few days ago I was reading a thread here and someone, perhaps fabbrisd1, listed contacts at three dealerships that were good to work with and very competitive in pricing. I'll be damned if I can find it again. I am now considering the extended warranty too as I plan on keeping this ML as long as possible. Hopefully someone here can point us to that post.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
2015 ML Rebates

Bought my 2015 ML250BT Dec 2014 @ invoice PLUS USAA discount (rebate) of $2500.