M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ADBLUE HEATER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
ADBLUE HEATER

I know this topic has been posted before, many times it seems, but nothing is too current. I have a '13 ML350BT with 66,000 miles on it. The CEL came on. A couple of days later it started acting like it didn't have as much power as it should on the freeway. Acceleration was slow. In city driving it didn't shift right and would stay in gear much longer than normal before upshifting.

Took it to the dealer who diagnosed that the AdBlue heater needed replacing and quoted a price of $2,100. I have an extended warranty through Endurance, but they don't cover emission related parts even though I have their most expensive plan.

I'm thinking I have to escalate this to MB regional and maybe corporate. I'm going back to the dealership to pick up the car later today and will talk with the general manager. He seems like a reasonable guy and I'm hoping he'll go to bat for me.

Anyone else have some recent experience with this?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
It is "rarer" to see AdBlue heater fault in the W166/X166 - and it is not uncommon for contaminated DEF to cause this - or buildup of Ure1

DEF contamination to metal - for example using a metal/funnel/filler - just casual DEF exposure to metal can cause crippling contamination to the DEF and to the system.

"Some" AdBlue heater failures with higher mileage Sprinter - have removed the tank/heater (coffee pot" and let sit full with water overnite to dissolve urea crystals - emptied/reinstalled/refilled with clean DEF.

Other high mileage owners (Sprinter and ML/GL) have gone to "SCR EMULATOR" which in essence removes the DEF controls - so you run without DEF and without faults. Do a ebay search - about $700 out of Eastern Europe.

Under "goodwill" - escalating makes sense - it may be possible to come to a a accomdation/shared-cost on the AdBlue heater in your situation.

Under Mercedes Extended new car Warranty - or under Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned Warranty - if that had been in place you would have been covered..
Old 08-28-2015, 01:45 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
It is "rarer" to see AdBlue heater fault in the W166/X166 - and it is not uncommon for contaminated DEF to cause this - or buildup of Ure1

DEF contamination to metal - for example using a metal/funnel/filler - just casual DEF exposure to metal can cause crippling contamination to the DEF and to the system.

"Some" AdBlue heater failures with higher mileage Sprinter - have removed the tank/heater (coffee pot" and let sit full with water overnite to dissolve urea crystals - emptied/reinstalled/refilled with clean DEF.

Other high mileage owners (Sprinter and ML/GL) have gone to "SCR EMULATOR" which in essence removes the DEF controls - so you run without DEF and without faults. Do a ebay search - about $700 out of Eastern Europe.

Under "goodwill" - escalating makes sense - it may be possible to come to a a accomdation/shared-cost on the AdBlue heater in your situation.

Under Mercedes Extended new car Warranty - or under Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned Warranty - if that had been in place you would have been covered..

How rare is this type of failure? I have to find my receipt for the exact mileage, but I think it was around 40k miles that we got the check engine light. Dealer replaced the AdBlue heater under warranty. Now seeing that it is over $2k to replace, glad it went when it did. Besides the initial factory fill, I can attest to the fact that at no point was any fluid ever in contact w/ metal as I always filled it myself w/ the plastic funnel. Unless of course the dealer topped it off w/o my knowledge. Between this and some reports of oil leaks (which we also had early on), being under warranty again is becoming a strong reason to get another one.

Last edited by skw; 09-06-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Should mention that this truck is leased (I'm way, way, way over on miles). The dealer is working with me on a pull ahead program, but I still have 7 payments left. He said he can "forgive" 3-4 of them, but not 7 and the balance would either have to be paid in cash or the negative would be rolled into the next vehicle. I'm thinking I'll either buy this one or get a certified pre-owned so I have the unlimited mileage warranty.

Last edited by ChuckinTucson; 08-28-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Thank you very much for this information. I did find one on eBay. I'm wondering if my indy MB repair place will install it for me. I don't have to get the truck emission tested where I live so passing/not passing a smog test isn't an issue.

Last edited by ChuckinTucson; 08-28-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Just talked to my indy shop and they will install it as long as it comes with instructions.

The guy just emailed me a link to the instructions. Price is going down to $449 on 9//1. Nice.

Last edited by ChuckinTucson; 08-28-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Just know I have not done the SCR eliminator job myself - although I have seen it in a couple of high mileage Sprinters - you might try MB "goodwill" on the AdBlue heater - might adjust that cost down 50% - more and more mileage on your rig is not going to "improve" the financials - cleanest to move to the next new rig as soon as you can..
Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 PM

You're right. 7 months remaining on lease. My sales guy told me if I can wait 3-4 months, it will be a lot easier than trying to trade now. It's either putting in a LOT of cash with the deal or rolling a lot of negative equity into the new deal. Without question I'm going to get into a low mileage CPO and buy the extra 2 years of warranty. Live and learn.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ml bluetec 2013 ml63 2009 gl550
Smile

I have a 2013 ml350 bluetec. 31,000 miles. Always serviced at MB. Replaced ad blue heater this week, dealer said it was economic one this week.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Ml350 bluetec
My adblue heater just failed. My ML has 56,000 miles, so it's just out of warranty. I have not yet contacted the dealer. (Had an independent mechanic pull the codes.)

It seems ridiculous that such and expensive component would fail on a car only 3 years old.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:17 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Understand that internet forums make up a small minority of owners. With 4 examples here all within the 2-3yr mark, I would say it is safe to include a check of the adblue heater as part of an inspection when purchasing used or just about to go out of warranty.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - AdBlue heaters most commonly "fail" due to DEF contamination - do a google search and check under VW TDI forums.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Fabbrisd1, I did google as you suggested, and I'm not seeing any threads indicating that the failures are caused by DEF contamination.

Tomorrow I'm going to take my complaint to the dealer. I'll post on how things go...
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM
caf

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car
This is a common failure, not only in Mercedes, but in other DEF system equipped brands sold in the U.S. They all use a common part (I believe it's Bosch, but I may not remember correctly). It's got nothing to do with DEF contamination(though maybe that's what Bosch is claiming).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438268

My tank heater was replaced on my 2012 Bluetec about a year ago, two weeks out of standard warranty, at the same time my oil cooler seals starting leaking (Bonus! Two fixes at the same visit). Fortunately, I had already been granted an extended warranty due to other issues. Of course, the DAY after I got the vehicle back from the dealer, one of my door handles failed.

Have continued to have expensive repairs since, still covered by warranty. This is definitely a vehicle I would not own beyond the factory warranty without a good extended plan.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Emissions warranty

Goes to show how out of touch I can get. I thought us warranty
on emissions was 100k.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Originally Posted by skw
Understand that internet forums make up a small minority of owners. With 4 examples here all within the 2-3yr mark, I would say it is safe to include a check of the adblue heater as part of an inspection when purchasing used or just about to go out of warranty.
Chalk me up as another example of this failure. I was also lucky like another poster to get the bonus oil cooler seal leak at the same time. My ML was out of warranty so the dealer knocked 25% off..... Still had to pay over $3K to repair both.

I wish some attorney on here would get serious about a class action.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:42 AM

Ml350 bluetec
My dealer says --- too bad, deal with it

Okay, they weren't that rude, but at 55,000 miles and just over 3 years old, they wouldn't help at all with my Adblue heater.

With my mercedes benz club discount, and sales tax added back on, the part was $1100.

Two different oil seal leaks right before my warranty expired required two weeks of my ML in the dealer's shop.

Now this.

Why doesn't Mercedes come down hard on their parts suppliers? These failures are not Mercedes' fault - rather it's Bosch (Adblue heater) and whoever made the gaskets for the oil cooler system for the turbocharger. Apparently Mercedes just doesn't care about reliability.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:44 PM

If you look at the extended warranty cost for the diesel vs the gas ml, the diesel is 4,000 vs 2700 for the gassers. I think
Mercedes is trying to tell us something. Of course any of these numbers are a lot less than a years depreciation on a new one.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63s 2015 & ML350 Bluetec 2012
My AdBlue heather failed too @ 59000 miles.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63s 2015 & ML350 Bluetec 2012
It is not a rare occurrence. Same as the oil o rings on the oil heater.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
We have a 2012 ML350 and just had to change the ADBlue heater @ 95,000 in September 2015. Fortunately we have the full MB extended warranty and there was no cost. It was a quick 1 -2 hour repair. The technician removed the fuel tank to remove the heater and replace it, then re-install the tank.
The dealer had the part in stock which indicates that this may be a "common" issue. The heater not working is really only a major issue in the cold weather, when there is risk of DEF freezing.