M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Standard headlights on ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Audi A6, 2012 Porsche 911 CS
Standard headlights on ML

I'd like to get clarification on what the non-AMG W166 ML''s have for standard headlights. Mercedes' brochures do not specifically mention the standard lighting technology but reference "bi-xenon" in regards to the Lighting Package. Based on this, as well as searching on forum threads, I'm assuming that the standard lights are simply halogen. Is this correct?

I've been looking to purchase an ML350 for the past few months, but seems that 80-90% of used (as well as new) ML's do not even have xenon lights. I would like to believe that a Mercedes -- let alone any vehicle in this class and price range -- would have HID as standard. It's a shame that the standard lighting is no different then what's on my 2010 Honda Odyssey.

Today, I talked to a Mercedes salesman who told me that the standard ML lights (as well as on other Mercedes) are "HID" but the "xenon" option is for BI-XENON lights. As far as I know, HID lights use xenon gas bulbs...so either he has been misinformed or has no idea what he's talking about.

Pic for reference (left=standard, right=bi-xenon):

Last edited by DishoomX2; 08-31-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Standard lights are just plain dim yellowish bulbs. The lighting package is absolutely superb.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. The salesman had me second-guessing.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GLC43
Sad to say, MB treats the ML as base vehicle that you need to option to death. Lighting Package is a must!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Salesman spouting uninformed sales pitch. Those are standard H7 halogens in non lighting package, not HID. Obviously the lighting package is superior to the non-lighting package, but as the non-lighting package has halogen projectors, many opt to do a simple HID conversion which is a big cost savings. Comes down to your budget. More extreme will retrofit true HID projectors which would be the proper way of doing things, but for the time and effort of doing so, might be worth just ordering the lighting package to begin with. Usually it's those purchasing second hand or in stock availability models at good deals who will look into that though.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Yeap, Xenon is a must. Just don't get the lit MB logo on the grill.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 AM

No doubt, the Lighting Package is a definite must-have as part of features I'm looking for. Considering that an ML would be our family vehicle, I do not even want to risk reliability of an after market HID solution.

Here's an example of a vehicle that's loaded up with options, but leaves out an important one...no lighting package!!

<a href="http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=32225&endYear=2016&modelC ode1=ML350&showcaseOwnerId=100023820&startYear=201 3&makeCode1=MB&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=50000&mmt =[MB[ML350[]][]]&listingId=407622288">link<a>
Old 09-01-2015, 03:52 PM
hos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML250BT
Don't be fooled by the lighting package. The bi xenon still leave a lot to be desired. Worst thing about our ML is the headlights. I am still considering a LED light bar or nudge bar with driving lights.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by hos
...The bi xenon still leave a lot to be desired....
I can't for the life of me figure out what they don't illuminate brilliantly.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I can't for the life of me figure out what they don't illuminate brilliantly.
Factory cost savings with using average quality bulb. Higher quality bulb like Morimoto XB or Osram Xenarc makes a difference.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by hos
Don't be fooled by the lighting package. The bi xenon still leave a lot to be desired. Worst thing about our ML is the headlights. I am still considering a LED light bar or nudge bar with driving lights.
You might have them looked at. I have the lighting package on mine and when I drive down my street at night, it's lit up like daylight.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by DishoomX2
I'd like to get clarification on what the non-AMG W166 ML''s have for standard headlights. Mercedes' brochures do not specifically mention the standard lighting technology but reference "bi-xenon" in regards to the Lighting Package. Based on this, as well as searching on forum threads, I'm assuming that the standard lights are simply halogen. Is this correct?

I've been looking to purchase an ML350 for the past few months, but seems that 80-90% of used (as well as new) ML's do not even have xenon lights. I would like to believe that a Mercedes -- let alone any vehicle in this class and price range -- would have HID as standard. It's a shame that the standard lighting is no different then what's on my 2010 Honda Odyssey.

Today, I talked to a Mercedes salesman who told me that the standard ML lights (as well as on other Mercedes) are "HID" but the "xenon" option is for BI-XENON lights. As far as I know, HID lights use xenon gas bulbs...so either he has been misinformed or has no idea what he's talking about.

Very common misconception/expectation that people have when it comes MB and BMW. Creature comfort things like Xenon headlights, leather, nav, etc are options on these vehicles. I tell people if you want them standard, go look at Acura, Lexus, etc. Toyota/Lexus are able to do so by using the same basic engine/design for the past 10+ years. W/ MB or BMW, you can't expect the advancements in the suspensions, engines, safety systems, etc that are standard on the German vehicles, still have xenons (or LED's), nav, blind spot monitoring, and at the same time maintain the same price point.

Sales guy is wrong, HID/xenon is the same technology and part of the lighting pkg. Standard headlights are halogen. if you can, get the lighting pkg. I drive a lot on well lit city streets w/ the standard lights and still wish I had gotten xenons. Have them on my BMW now as well as my previous Acura. There is a difference and it's worth paying the premium.

Last edited by skw; 09-01-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by skw
Very common misconception/expectation that people have when it comes MB and BMW. Creature comfort things like Xenon headlights, leather, nav, etc are options on these vehicles. I tell people if you want them standard, go look at Acura, Lexus, etc. Toyota/Lexus are able to do so by using the same basic engine/design for the past 10+ years. W/ MB or BMW, you can't expect the advancements in the suspensions, engines, safety systems, etc that are standard on the German vehicles, still have xenons (or LED's), nav, blind spot monitoring, and at the same time maintain the same price point.

Sales guy is wrong, HID/xenon is the same technology and part of the lighting pkg. Standard headlights are halogen. if you can, get the lighting pkg. I drive a lot on well lit city streets w/ the standard lights and still wish I had gotten xenons. Have them on my BMW now as well as my previous Acura. There is a difference and it's worth paying the premium.
The current X5 has xenon standard. The upgrade to LED is about $1900. Things are slowly changing.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by DishoomX2

Left one is standard projector but non HID headlights. I've had both in a 2012 and my current 2014. I retrofitted aftermarket bulbs in my 2012 when I couldn't get HID as an early adopter. It was ok but not great. The factory lighting package is excellent. I know led headlights too since I had a 2012 a6 with led headlights. Those were great perfect illumination everywhere. My dad has a 2014 s550 with the led headlights and I have to admit the Audi ones were much better. There are some dark spots with his headlights. I drove his car sometimes for weeks at a time. The MBZ headlights do turn with the steering wheel and that might account for the dead spots. Whereas the Audi doesn't Turn but it didn't need to since it covers everything uniformly.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Left one is standard projector but non HID headlights. I've had both in a 2012 and my current 2014. I retrofitted aftermarket bulbs in my 2012 when I couldn't get HID as an early adopter. It was ok but not great. The factory lighting package is excellent. I know led headlights too since I had a 2012 a6 with led headlights. Those were great perfect illumination everywhere. My dad has a 2014 s550 with the led headlights and I have to admit the Audi ones were much better. There are some dark spots with his headlights. I drove his car sometimes for weeks at a time. The MBZ headlights do turn with the steering wheel and that might account for the dead spots. Whereas the Audi doesn't Turn but it didn't need to since it covers everything uniformly.
Not sure what you mean by dark spots. The LED's on our S550 are excellent and so are the Bi-Xenons. Of course, MB headlights are dumbed down for the US as the DOT is behind the times (same for BMW laser light and Audi Matrix right functions).
In the US btw, the ML Bi-Xenons don't have cornering lights like other MB's. Somewhat annoying...
Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hos
Bi-Xenons work great, at least in the US & Europe. Since you are driving on the other side of the road, your car may have a left/right setting in the lighting menu. Having that set wrong would make all the difference.

Here is an example of the SL we are just driving in southern France

Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 AM

2012 E-350 Luxury Black W122, 2015 ML 350
I don't see the issue. I am 68 years old and the standard headlights on our 2015 ML350 work fine.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by RCFRANK
I don't see the issue. I am 68 years old and the standard headlights on our 2015 ML350 work fine.
...and you're just as engaged with a 1/2 carat engagement ring as you are with a 3 carat ring.

Halogens are acceptable and meet the lower level of standards for night driving. Bi Xenons far exceed the lower level of illumination, and are vastly superior.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I question the value of the lighting package for vehicles used in the big city. However, out here in the country where I live there are no street lights for many miles. The forests are cut close to the roads and deer abound. I am sure the bi-xenons on my 2012 ML350 prevented one accident with deer and probably two. I may get an Eclass sedan next year when my ML goes out of warranty and I am going to have to check out what lights are available for the Eclass. But if it does not have bi-xenons or something at least as bright with as wide a throw, I will have to look at another sedan. It is a deal breaker for me because headlights are that important out here where I live.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shortspark
I question the value of the lighting package for vehicles used in the big city. However, out here in the country where I live there are no street lights for many miles. The forests are cut close to the roads and deer abound. I am sure the bi-xenons on my 2012 ML350 prevented one accident with deer and probably two. I may get an Eclass sedan next year when my ML goes out of warranty and I am going to have to check out what lights are available for the Eclass. But if it does not have bi-xenons or something at least as bright with as wide a throw, I will have to look at another sedan. It is a deal breaker for me because headlights are that important out here where I live.
Next year the e class will have LED that are better then the Bi-Xenons
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM

2017 CLS550
Thanks Wolfman, that is good to know. Do you mean the 2016 MY, or the 2017?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shortspark
Thanks Wolfman, that is good to know. Do you mean the 2016 MY, or the 2017?
MY17, available next year
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
MY17, available next year
I see the 2016 has LEDs too but it is a $1500 option as part of the lighting package. Probably standard in 2017 as it should be for a car of this type.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 AM
hos

2014 ML250BT
The issue I have with our xenon lights is that they are not a very 'white' light, don't penetrate far up the road. When driving on open road with them in the Auto position, there is a sharp cut off at the top of the beam, so you go from brightly lit into black. It can't figure out what to do when driving over hilly terrain and cornering. Compared to the BMW's lighting package, this is very poor.

I preferred the aftermarket HID install I did in my previous Holden SSV (Pontiac G8) projector lenses in all aspects when compared to the MB.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hos
The issue I have with our xenon lights is that they are not a very 'white' light, don't penetrate far up the road. When driving on open road with them in the Auto position, there is a sharp cut off at the top of the beam, so you go from brightly lit into black. It can't figure out what to do when driving over hilly terrain and cornering. Compared to the BMW's lighting package, this is very poor.

I preferred the aftermarket HID install I did in my previous Holden SSV (Pontiac G8) projector lenses in all aspects when compared to the MB.
Something doesn't sound right here. The xenons on our ML are easily as good as the xenons on our 2012 BMW 750li. Might want to have them checked out by the dealer. Are your high-beams set to auto?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Standard headlights on ML