M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Panoramic sunroof deflector issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Panoramic sunroof deflector issue

Hi the lower part of my deflector is hanging now ... anyone has any idea how to fix it ?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes - Benz C450 AMG
I had the exact same problem. It was replaced from the dealer with a new one.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks ... just my warranty is over and the dealer here is charging a big sum for replacement. It seems to me the lower part is glued though ....
Old 12-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350 BlueTec
Exact thing with my 2013 ml350bt. Covered under warranty. It was realigned not replaced. Tech had to consult with another tech on how to approach the repair. I think it took 2 pairs of hands. There are some screws that attach the screen to the bracket and located from inside the sunroof. Probably has to snap back in. I dont drive high speeds with sunroof open. I think the wind pulls it out. FYI, 2016 GLE loaners no longer have that mesh.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML550
I'm sure yours is already fixed by now, but hopefully this helps someone else and saves them some serious dealership dough. I recently had the same issue with my sunroof. I was able to get it seated back in with no issues thus far by myself. You will need to remove the side hinge brackets on each side, allowing the wind deflector to come completely off. Then remove the rubber/felt weather stripping on the top where the bottom of the wind deflector will attach underneath. Once the weather stripping is off, you can now insert the the wind deflector attachment back in vertically up into the underlip. After it's seated in, using your thumb and some elbow grease, push the weather stripping back in. Now you can screw the side wind deflector hinges back on. The sunroof should be good to go. One thing I wish I had done was I realized that with the wind deflector completely off, it allowed plenty of room to apply track lubrication grease if you need more. I did not have any grease at the time and I just wanted to get it back together. I have had substantial rain, to include some serious downpours and storms, with no leakage whatsoever. Please post if you have any questions!

Last edited by Allen77; 02-18-2017 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen77:
easyedwin (02-18-2017), hyibin (08-04-2022)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 AM

2013 ML350 BlueTec
The grease on the track is needed. My sunroof started to act up. I could not close properly. The sensors sensed resistance, then slid open when I tried to close. Cleaning and relube by the dealership took care if it.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Can someone tell what king of grease must be used for lubrication? Thank you.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 PM

2012 E350 Sedan (Base model)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Allen77
I'm sure yours is already fixed by now, but hopefully this helps someone else and saves them some serious dealership dough. I recently had the same issue with my sunroof. I was able to get it seated back in with no issues thus far by myself. You will need to remove the side hinge brackets on each side, allowing the wind deflector to come completely off. Then remove the rubber/felt weather stripping on the top where the bottom of the wind deflector will attach underneath. Once the weather stripping is off, you can now insert the the wind deflector attachment back in vertically up into the underlip. After it's seated in, using your thumb and some elbow grease, push the weather stripping back in. Now you can screw the side wind deflector hinges back on. The sunroof should be good to go. One thing I wish I had done was I realized that with the wind deflector completely off, it allowed plenty of room to apply track lubrication grease if you need more. I did not have any grease at the time and I just wanted to get it back together. I have had substantial rain, to include some serious downpours and storms, with no leakage whatsoever. Please post if you have any questions!
Hi Folks,

I just bought an E350 2012. The deflector "cloth" or whatever hangs down is missing. I'm not sure if maybe the previous owner just ripped it out after it came loose. The deflector frame pops up when you open the pano, but with no "cloth" hanging down to deflect the wind, so driving with the pano open is very noisy.

If I were to buy a deflector, you think it would be possible for me to install it myself? I found one here:

https://www.getmercedesparts.com/par...&siteid=214660

And was wondering how much of a challenge it is to remove the old deflector and install the new one.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Also, I understand this is not the forum for the E350, but any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by ratthing; 08-10-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM

2013 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Allen77
I was able to get it seated back in with no issues thus far by myself. You will need to remove the side hinge brackets on each side, allowing the wind deflector to come completely off. Then remove the rubber/felt weather stripping on the top where the bottom of the wind deflector will attach underneath. Once the weather stripping is off, you can now insert the the wind deflector attachment back in vertically up into the underlip. After it's seated in, using your thumb and some elbow grease, push the weather stripping back in. Now you can screw the side wind deflector hinges back on.
Which weather stripping? There is one that goes around the sunroof hole that won't work. Maybe one that should be on back edge of front roof edge glass? I do not have any there now--think it came off and allowed the deflector to come loose. Wife's car and she said I think something flew off??!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:32 PM

2012 E350 Sedan (Base model)
Originally Posted by gdragich
Which weather stripping? There is one that goes around the sunroof hole that won't work. Maybe one that should be on back edge of front roof edge glass? I do not have any there now--think it came off and allowed the deflector to come loose. Wife's car and she said I think something flew off??!
On the front edge of the moon roof opening there is a rubber weather strip that is coated with felt/fuzz. I think that's the one he's talking about. I pulled it off and am hard pressed to see how you can fit anything else in that space where this weather strip attaches. But it seems to be the only place where the bottom of the deflector cloth can go. If you're still unsure I'd be glad to take a photo and post it.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by ratthing
I pulled it off and am hard pressed to see how you can fit anything else in that space where this weather strip attaches. But it seems to be the only place where the bottom of the deflector cloth can go. If you're still unsure I'd be glad to take a photo and post it.
If you can post a photo, with the weather stripping off preferably, that would be very helpful. I'd like to see where the bottom 'rubber strip' of the cloth deflector fits into.

BTW, I know the weather stripping that you are referring to... it can be seen slightly even when the moonroof is closed.

Does anyone have WIS instructions for this by any chance ?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes-Benz ML63
I now have this issue. Can anyone post any pictures to help fix this issue?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM

2010 E 550 w/AMG Package
Did you use any small clips*???? They almost look like the old clips you used to hang curtains, and I use the word clip even though they do not clip at all. I have tried everything and the MB dealer told me he had to find out how to reinstall the deflector.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:03 PM

ML 350 W166
Hi,

I have this problem and before I start ripping of weather stripping and poking around under the moon roof I'm wondering if anyone has a more detailed description of the fix.

What I think I know. The guide rail for the fabric portion of the wind deflector has come out which leaves the mesh fabric portion of the wind deflector hanging loose instead of tight when the roof is open. In the photo at the top of the thread you can see the guide rail in the bottom left hanging from the mesh. The guide rail is sticking out to the left a small amount. The mesh fabric slides into the guide rail. The guide rail appears to be pressure fit somewhere under the front part of the moon roof but I cannot figure out how to get it back in.

To be clear, the problem is that the guide rail for the mesh fabric has come loose. Where and how do I install it?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
Bump
Old 03-05-2024, 07:36 PM

E550, SLK 320, CLK 320
I seem to have just discovered this problem on my E550. after washing it I opened the roof and noticed part of the bottom plastic edging that holds the fabric to the roof had slipped out from the front gasket that was holding it in place. The plastic strip is ribbed on the bottom to keep it from sliding out I guess and it's darn hard to slide back in under that rubber gasket. Very little space. Will try the suggestion posted by Allen and see how it goes.

Allen, did you need any special tools to work with the gasket? Or just push both in by hand together lined up. I'm assuming no adhesives? I don't see any adhesive remnants on the strip and the rest of it sure pulled out easily.