M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Rt. side spring latch clip on center console of 2015 ML 350 missing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 ML350 BlueTEC 4Matic
Rt. side spring latch clip on center console of 2015 ML 350 missing

Has anyone has to replace this latch clip? Its one of the two (rt. side) that hold down the centre console cover lids. I literally just pulled back on the console release handle and when the two covers opened the right latch clip just went missing? I never did find it in the inside of the console or on the seat/floor and it doesn't appear to have dropped in the opening where the latch clip sticks out of. I've searched for the latch clip part itself but can't seem to find it. I can only find the entire centre console "basket" with the covers, etc. as one piece. Darned expensive option for what's likely a few dollar part .
Old 08-24-2018, 10:34 PM

Took this to the dealer for inspection and after they determined this missing latch wasn't something I broke they ordered the replacement console (yes they replace the entire unit). It gets installed next week. I'm told it'll take about 3 hrs!
You'd think MB would have thought this through a bit better at the design phase and made these cheap plastic latch pins more easily accessible, hence more easily replaceable. But it's their time and effort and money going into this under warranty, not mine .
Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
That's just nuts. MB engineering at it's finest
Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 AM

So right. Can't believe this isn't a simple, easily accessible latch mechanism and part. Even if MB charged $25 for a $2 piece. Not the hundreds it is right now. Cheers.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
I have a 2015 GL450 and the right side cover of the center console just popped up when my wife was driving. She never uses the center console because when we went into the storage area of the console to look for the clip that holds the lid shut, we found her insurance card from 1 a year ago and 1 dried out pen. I think they quoted $550 or a little more to fix. They said they had to replace the center console. The car was a CPO and we also purchased the extended warranty and the prepaid services (3). They said I had to pay for it. Is there another solution to repair this?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 ML 350 blutec 2013 ML Blutec
I just fixed mine yesterday, 13 ml 350. I removed the box assy, there is a post on how to remove, took me about 2 hrs total to repair.
Hopefully you can find the spring. I found mine at the bottom of console area far right side. used a bright light and a magnet to get it out.
I took the latch out and drilled a 3/32 hole, where the plastic piece broke off, about 1/8 in deep. Then I took the drill bit and broke it off, smooth end,
and put some gorilla glue in hole and inserted drill bit. put latch on box and installed spring.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scargo:
awbooth (03-16-2020), hangten (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by hangten
I have a 2015 GL450 and the right side cover of the center console just popped up when my wife was driving. She never uses the center console because when we went into the storage area of the console to look for the clip that holds the lid shut, we found her insurance card from 1 a year ago and 1 dried out pen. I think they quoted $550 or a little more to fix. They said they had to replace the center console. The car was a CPO and we also purchased the extended warranty and the prepaid services (3). They said I had to pay for it. Is there another solution to repair this?
Hi H10,

I think you're getting screwed on your warranty or insurance coverage. Mine was covered - full stop. But, I'm a Canadian customer so not sure if you're otherwise and your warranty coverage doesn't extend. All MB needed to confirm I was covered or not was evidence the clip in the console had not been damaged or purposely "adjusted". Once determined it wasnt my
fault they covered it all.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:52 PM

GL 450
@TA Canada I think you are right. Mercedes Benz of Austin is going to discuss it internally and give me a call back. Before we took the car in for service, we drove around with blue painters tape on it to hold it down. Ridiculous.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 350 4Matic
Was your car still on MB warranty? Or just recently both from a dealership that they had to cover it. That was nice that they were able to hook that up without any extra charge. An entire replacement for the center armrest can run you $300 easy. Mine has a warranty but not MB and I don't think it will cover parts that are considered accessories.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
I have the same exact problem. I'm unable to figure out how to remove the upper box assembly. I removed the entire center console which didnt help as I am unable to get to the latch that fell inside the hole. Didnt find any spring either. Thx
Old 03-16-2020, 10:51 PM

If I remember right, since it’s been awhile, I didn’t remove console. I removed 4screws on the rear of console, behind ash tray and little compartment. The Teo lower ones are hard to see and get to. Take rubber bottoms out of console. Two screws in middle bottom and I think Two screws towards front. Carefully pry on top side of console. The front of console with usb and media connection will stay in place and box should come out with cover doors
Old 03-17-2020, 08:12 AM

Thx for your reply. You are correct. Removing the entire console was useless. So the rear black vent/ashtray assembly needs to come off? I found the two screws at the very bottom but can’t find anymore screws.
Do you remember being able to remove the entire rear seat vent cover? That’s my issue, I’m unable to free the armrest box from the console. I’m assuming the shinny trim cover and radio and navigation spin wheel stays in tact on console? Thx!!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 PM

Did you release the ash tray from the stop? I think the top screws are behind there. Then the rear part w/ vents separate from top of console.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:35 PM

So I removed the 2 corner screws at the very bottom of the rear vent panel near the charging outlet, cig. lighter. When pushing open the ashtray door I removed the ashtray inside. There are no screws in pocket where the rear vent ashtray sits.
There are corner screws at the base storage compartment is below the ashtray area.
Important note: I tried pulling the top part of the vent area away from the armrest box and 2 clips started to pop out but the rear panel did not move. I used all my strength to try to remove the rear black plastic vent panel and it will NOT move. I looked into the vents to see if there are hidden screws in the vents and there aren't any.
In addition, I removed the entire console thinking I would easily figure out how to disconnect the armrest box from the rest of the console but no dice. This thing is not coming off. I removed all 6 screws under the rubber mat inside the armrest box, disconnected the wire harnesses where you would plug in a usb or a M.B. technology harness for bull**** charging or whatever.
I know I'm missing something but one thing for sure, the rear vent/ashtray/storage panel has to come off for the armrest assembly box to come free.
Thx again! Any help would be awesome!
anthony
Old 08-15-2021, 08:45 PM

ml350
I have a 2015 ML 350 and it just happened to me... My husband is not going to believe that this "just happened" But it looks like this is a common thing... I am calling Mercedes tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:41 AM

ML350
Angry 2015 ML350

Originally Posted by TA Canada
Has anyone has to replace this latch clip? Its one of the two (rt. side) that hold down the centre console cover lids. I literally just pulled back on the console release handle and when the two covers opened the right latch clip just went missing? I never did find it in the inside of the console or on the seat/floor and it doesn't appear to have dropped in the opening where the latch clip sticks out of. I've searched for the latch clip part itself but can't seem to find it. I can only find the entire centre console "basket" with the covers, etc. as one piece. Darned expensive option for what's likely a few dollar part .
Same problem, exactly. Since my car is so much older now, am assuming MB not likely to fix at their expense.
I'd be willing to disable the spring so the passenger side of the console would stay closed.

Any suggestions on how to disable the spring?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by Rick90
Same problem, exactly. Since my car is so much older now, am assuming MB not likely to fix at their expense.
I'd be willing to disable the spring so the passenger side of the console would stay closed.

Any suggestions on how to disable the spring?
i managed to pull my spring out without taking apart the whole console.
it required some delicate...forcing....lol
iirc i opened the lids, then at the seam of the center console box and the black plastic that has the rear vents, i was able to pull the black plastic back far enough to get needle nose pliers in there and pull the spring out. careful when doing it, i was worried i'd break the plastic for the rear vents but luckily nothing broke.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:18 PM

ML 350
Right Latch on center console

Originally Posted by TA Canada
Same thing happened to me, right center latch just broke off.. took in to have an estimate to be repaired.. I have 7 a year unlimited mileage warranty and the service department said that consoles were not under warranty. Quoted me 1000.00 to replace the console. Unbelievable. I bought velcro to try to keep it closed but it's not working very well. Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2022, 05:22 AM

Hi,
Before mine was fixed I screwed an old credit card (could be an firm plastic card) to the bottom of the right console lid leaving about half of the card sticking out past the middle edge of the lid. When you go to close the console lids hold down the right one first and then close the left one "over" the card lip sticking out and latch the left side as it normally does. This will hold the right lid down and closed. However, as you would expect, everytime you open the left side the right side will pop up because that side's clip is missing. That said, it's a quick and easy remedy that works.
Good luck.