M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

14 ML350 Bluetec DPF/EGR delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I remember noticing a stronger smell just once right after the delete, but that was it. I honestly can't say that the car smells now.
I spend a lot of time tinkering in the garage and my wife often pulls out of the garage when going shopping etc. Not once have I noted that there was a stronger smell.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
w164
Thanks for reply I will give it some time Just 2 days since i removed dpf. I hadd done all, egr delete, adblue delete, and dpf delete (but dpf was still in place) My mechanic said the dpf most likely could stay in the exhaust, becauce the om642 runs so warm, that the dpf probably would burn off it selv, even if the regeneration was deleted. But, that did not happen. The car run 4000 kilometers with the dpf in place. Then the car lost power, and went to limpmode. Star diag said, low booster preasure. The dpf was completely clogged. But now, dpf is out, and the car runs fine again (except the exhaust smell)

Thank you again for answare

RegardsStar
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (04-19-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:27 AM

w164
Peter2772000; The smell is been much better😜👍 Do you still have the Cat in plase, or is the cat "bypassed" or taken out of the exhaust?
Old 05-02-2020, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm glad the smell is better. My cat is still in place, only the DPF/EGR/Adblue deletes.
When I dropped off the truck for the mods, I told them I wanted all of the above PLUS the cat delete. The tech warned me about the strong smell afterwards. As a matter of fact, he then pointed to a box on the counter and told me that the box held a cat for a client who'd done my mods as well as the cat delete. After 2 weeks, he called the shop up and begged them to reinstall an aftermarket cat, couldn't take the smell anymore.

That pretty well changed my mind on the cat delete LOL
Old 05-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
My cousin did the full delete like Peter (def, swirl flaps, egr), and there is a noticeable smell when the engine is heating up. The smell is weird (like a vinegar smell). The cat is still in place. The tune was from Malone and it's the stock tune (not a performance stage 1 or 2). No problems whatsoever and no black smoke, even if you floor it.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:24 AM

w164
Again, thank you for reply👍 Good to share some experience😊 My cat is also in plase👍 I have also no dpf bypass pipe. I used the orginal dpf. Cutted the dpf open at top, removed the filter, than welded the dpf together again. For shore, i bougth a used dpf with same part number from a crashed -14 ML for 500 dollar. If i need to revert the changes, the way back is pretty short. But the car runs very well with the mods😜 I have i bit black smoke when i floor it.. But thats the tune, about 310HP, so i have to live with it. No smoke on normal driving, only a little bit black smoke for some seconds when kickdown.

Last edited by kkarb; 05-02-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 gl350
Bad delete.

Originally Posted by peter2772000
One month in and no surprises or issues. Honestly no difference than before that I can see. No regrets to date.
I did the exact delete in my 2012 gl350. I’m getting a bad exhaust smell in the cab of the vehicle. I get smoky conditions on start up. I regret doing this. I wonder what was done different on yours?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you're getting the smell, the shop must've removed your cat. If they don't have your OEM cat, you can get an aftermarket cat for a few hundred bucks, so I've been told.
The smoke, I honestly don't know.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 AM

w164
Originally Posted by Tom Franko
I did the exact delete in my 2012 gl350. I’m getting a bad exhaust smell in the cab of the vehicle. I get smoky conditions on start up. I regret doing this. I wonder what was done different on yours?
I Had the same delete on my ml350bt 2013. Stage 1 tuning, egr off, adblue off and dpf off. I was never happy with the tune. The car run fine, no issues. No limpmode, no enginelight, no problems. BUT: 1. I also had bad exhaust smell / odor. 2. To much black smoke when hard accelration. I was never familar to this. So reverted the car to stock condotion. (Back to orginal software and replaced the dpf).
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update, I do have "the smell". Very slight, but I got a whiff once or twice yesterday. Not even close to being an issue for me, but I stand corrected, that smell is present.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BlueTec
To delete or not to delete :)

Hey all,
I wanted to thank everyone for every bit of useful information shared here; I do find this forum very informative.
I've been following the forum for quite some time, but to my shame have never contributed nor posted; and only today realized that i wasn't even registered.
To cut the chase - I am debating whether to delete EGR/DPF/Def etc or to get NOx sensor(s) and Reductant Heater Fixed. I am running 2014 ML 350 Bt @ 140k kms.
Today I visited one performance shop west of Toronto that does Malone's modes (not sure if its ok to mention name/place), where i was told that i would need to sign a waiver that this car will be for off-road driving only.
So this is where i got stuck ~$2k to delete + tune Vs, unknown to fix NOx & DEF heater and keeping it stock.

I realize, i need to decide on my own, but was wondering if someone could shed some light on how much fixing could be if done at stealership and/or other shop.

Thank you
Alex
Old 07-13-2020, 10:09 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by Alex_Buz
Hey all,
I wanted to thank everyone for every bit of useful information shared here; I do find this forum very informative.
I've been following the forum for quite some time, but to my shame have never contributed nor posted; and only today realized that i wasn't even registered.
To cut the chase - I am debating whether to delete EGR/DPF/Def etc or to get NOx sensor(s) and Reductant Heater Fixed. I am running 2014 ML 350 Bt @ 140k kms.
Today I visited one performance shop west of Toronto that does Malone's modes (not sure if its ok to mention name/place), where i was told that i would need to sign a waiver that this car will be for off-road driving only.
So this is where i got stuck ~$2k to delete + tune Vs, unknown to fix NOx & DEF heater and keeping it stock.

I realize, i need to decide on my own, but was wondering if someone could shed some light on how much fixing could be if done at stealership and/or other shop.

Thank you
Alex
I am in a similar situation as you. The front NOX sensor on my 2014 Bluetec is also not reading properly. I tried to replace the sensor but was not able to pull the heat shield far enough to extract the cabling on the Front NOX sensor. So I for the time being live with the check engine light. Where I live in TX, there is no emissions testing for diesels and therefore no reason at this point to do anything. I have also considered initially at this to have the NOX Delete. The DEF is not dropping in volume at this point as it is not being used. I may eventually do the EGR, DPF and swirl flap delete.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.
Alex_Buz (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:58 PM

w164
Originally Posted by Etienne Lau
I am in a similar situation as you. The front NOX sensor on my 2014 Bluetec is also not reading properly. I tried to replace the sensor but was not able to pull the heat shield far enough to extract the cabling on the Front NOX sensor. So I for the time being live with the check engine light. Where I live in TX, there is no emissions testing for diesels and therefore no reason at this point to do anything. I have also considered initially at this to have the NOX Delete. The DEF is not dropping in volume at this point as it is not being used. I may eventually do the EGR, DPF and swirl flap delete.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.
Hello, i have some expirience. I have a 2013 ml350bt. 120000km on clock. It started with my adblue heater was bad. Ok, instead of repair the heater, i remapped the ecu. Stage1 tuning 300hk / 700NM, EGR off, adblue off and dpf off. Cutted the dpf open, and removed the filter. All was fine, but i could not get rid off black smoke on hard accelration, and strong exhaust smell at the tailpipe. I was not happy with the smoke, and not the smell. So, i reverted the car back to orginal / stock. Repaired the adblue heater, got a new dpf (used), and reverted the software back to stock. I will not recomend a full delete. Now i also have the nox sensor issue. All the sot had damaged the sensors. But they are for sale at ebay for about 350$ for both upstream and downstream sensor.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:50 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by kkarb
Hello, i have some expirience. I have a 2013 ml350bt. 120000km on clock. It started with my adblue heater was bad. Ok, instead of repair the heater, i remapped the ecu. Stage1 tuning 300hk / 700NM, EGR off, adblue off and dpf off. Cutted the dpf open, and removed the filter. All was fine, but i could not get rid off black smoke on hard accelration, and strong exhaust smell at the tailpipe. I was not happy with the smoke, and not the smell. So, i reverted the car back to orginal / stock. Repaired the adblue heater, got a new dpf (used), and reverted the software back to stock. I will not recomend a full delete. Now i also have the nox sensor issue. All the sot had damaged the sensors. But they are for sale at ebay for about 350$ for both upstream and downstream sensor.
Did you not get a CAT Converter installed in place of the DPF? That probably would have helped with the smell and black smoke. Who's tune did you use? Where did you get the work done?

Thank you
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Originally Posted by peter2772000
Booked for this Monday, dropping it off Sunday evening. They say they need two days, so I've booked a rental for four days LOL. You know, Murphy's Law.

The EGR/DEF delete is all tuning, so no biggie there according to the shop. $600 for reprogramming the ECU. The pricier part is the DPF delete. Bypass pipe is around $1200 (all pricing in CAN). The shop operator asked if I wanted more power, I said no (something's definitely wrong with me). I then asked him if the DPF delete would change the power level, he confirmed that it definitely would. I think I remember asking Micah (hangs around on the diesel sub-forum) if the DPF delete made a performance difference and he had also confirmed that it did.

I wonder if the exhaust will also be louder? I would imagine so.

Does it shoot black cloud when you floor it? Here in iowa is a big thing with trucks and I would like to do it only if it did so I can surprise the hicks
Old 07-15-2020, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BlueTec
Thank you all for the comments!

Could you please share the model number of the NOx sensors from eBay?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:15 AM

w164
1. i did not remove te cat, only dpf. The cat behind dpf was still in place. I used the orginal dpf pipe, only opened it up at top, and removed the filter, than welded together again.

2. much black smoke when flooring, and generaly black smoke at much trottle. I live in Norway, and the remap was done her.

3. Nox sensors.. Upstream: 0009053503 Downstream: 0009053603
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Ml350 bluetec
1. i did not remove te cat, only dpf. The cat behind dpf was still in place. I used the orginal dpf pipe, only opened it up at top, and removed the filter, than welded together again.

2. much black smoke when flooring, and generaly black smoke at much trottle. I live in Norway, and the remap was done her.
Other's might correct me, but there is a CAT that can be installed in place of the DPF to reduce the smell and smoke.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 AM

w164
Other's might correct me, but there is a CAT that can be installed in place of the DPF to reduce the smell and smoke.
Not heard about that. Some
using a "delete pipe", and someone does like me, taking the filter out of dpf pipe, then reusing the dpf pipe without filter inside. But if you do like me, and need to revert the car, you need a new dpf. Its expencive. About 3000$ in my country. I found a used dpf with correct partnumber. If you buy a delete pipe, you not need to destroy the orginal dpf. I dont think its a good idea to replase the dpf with another cat, never heard about that.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Ml350 bluetec
Look here: https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...zzken-aar2345/

Old 07-15-2020, 11:52 AM

w164
Thats the delete pipe. Its a regular pipe conected to the downpipe in front, and connected to the cat in rear. The adblue injector is also removed in this pipe. In fact, there is two options, 1 you can use this pipe, and 2 you can use your orginal dpf pipe, cut it open, and take the filter out. It does not matter, its the same result. If you using the delete pipe, what shall you do with de other small tubings connected to the orginal dpf pipe? (Preasure monitoring, adblue injector etc) You might be cutting them off.. Or blend them. This is not a problem if you use the regular dpf pipe, because this small pipes / tubings stay connected.

Last edited by kkarb; 07-15-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:30 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Thats the delete pipe. Its a regular pipe conected to the downpipe in front, and connected to the cat in rear. The adblue injector is also removed in this pipe. In fact, there is two options, 1 you can use this pipe, and 2 you can use your orginal dpf pipe, cut it open, and take the filter out. It does not matter, its the same result. If you using the delete pipe, what shall you do with de other small tubings connected to the orginal dpf pipe? (Preasure monitoring, adblue injector etc) You might be cutting them off.. Or blend them. This is not a problem if you use the regular dpf pipe, because this small pipes / tubings stay connected.
I am confused, on that website you can either not pay $450 for the DOC Cat or NO DOC Cat. Is the DOC Cat not reducing the smell? Or am I completely not understanding.....
Old 07-15-2020, 02:08 PM

w164
I am confused, on that website you can either not pay $450 for the DOC Cat or NO DOC Cat. Is the DOC Cat not reducing the smell? Or am I completely not understanding.....
its basicly the dpf reducung the smell. I'm adding pictures of my dpf pipe, you can see its opened up at top, removed the filter inside, and welded together. You can also see slots for adblue injection, preasure monitoring, upstream nox sensor and a couple more slots. If you using this "busken delete pipe", what shal you do with all those tubings / slots..

Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
the extra cables and connections are just unplugged and tucked away, they arent needed since the delete is done on the computer the car isnt using any of that stuff.
i have the buzzken pipe with a CAT and a tune, a smell still exists and it isnt pleasant just fyi. now i have no clue how bad the smell would be if i didnt have the CAT.
im curious if there is anything else that can be added or done to prevent or lower the smell. i imagine if anything is added it would restric flow and and also lower some of the added hp/torque from the tune
Etienne Lau (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 09:58 PM

Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by Babukb2
the extra cables and connections are just unplugged and tucked away, they arent needed since the delete is done on the computer the car isnt using any of that stuff.
i have the buzzken pipe with a CAT and a tune, a smell still exists and it isnt pleasant just fyi. now i have no clue how bad the smell would be if i didnt have the CAT.
im curious if there is anything else that can be added or done to prevent or lower the smell. i imagine if anything is added it would restric flow and and also lower some of the added hp/torque from the tune
Thank you. This information helps me in my research to do the delete on my vehicle!
Babukb2 (07-15-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 14 ML350 Bluetec DPF/EGR delete