ML350 Starts Hard Strange Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML350
ML350 Starts Hard Strange Issue

I recently bought a 2008 ML350 with 96k miles on it

After having it a few weeks I am having issues starting it up.

When it starts it runs perfectly and does not stall.

The issue is when trying to start it in the morning it will crank over a few times and die. sometimes it will crank 3 times, some time barley once sometimes 4 times then the engine tries to start and it stops cranking and dies.

I have found a bizarre way to get it started consistently. If I do the following procedure it seems to start every time.

1. I try and start the car.

2. Once it stops cranking very quickly turn the key off and back on to try and start it again.

3. If i do it fast enough this second time it will not crank at all, just the tack lights come on but it does nothing, almost as if the electric ignition has not had time to reset yet or something.

4. Once this happens if i then turn the key off an try to start it a third time it will always start.

5. If i just at normal speed turn the key off and on i could do it 10 times in a row and it wont start but this weird method gets it started every time.

Note. when this first started it would only happen when the car sat for a long time like over night and once I got it started and drove it for a bit it would start normally the rest of the day but its been getting worse so now its not starting normally regardless of if ive been driving it.

Any ideas on what might cause this.

I will take a video of this and post it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
im no expert, but i'd say check the battery, maybe it's time for a new one. I've heard the mercedes cars can do a lot of weird stuff if the battery is the wrong kind or the power out of it is out of spec. probably because of all the electronics in the cars.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by kendinitto
I recently bought a 2008 ML350 with 96k miles on it

After having it a few weeks I am having issues starting it up.

When it starts it runs perfectly and does not stall.

The issue is when trying to start it in the morning it will crank over a few times and die. sometimes it will crank 3 times, some time barley once sometimes 4 times then the engine tries to start and it stops cranking and dies.

I have found a bizarre way to get it started consistently. If I do the following procedure it seems to start every time.

1. I try and start the car.

2. Once it stops cranking very quickly turn the key off and back on to try and start it again.

3. If i do it fast enough this second time it will not crank at all, just the tack lights come on but it does nothing, almost as if the electric ignition has not had time to reset yet or something.

4. Once this happens if i then turn the key off an try to start it a third time it will always start.

5. If i just at normal speed turn the key off and on i could do it 10 times in a row and it wont start but this weird method gets it started every time.

Note. when this first started it would only happen when the car sat for a long time like over night and once I got it started and drove it for a bit it would start normally the rest of the day but its been getting worse so now its not starting normally regardless of if ive been driving it.

Any ideas on what might cause this.

I will take a video of this and post it.

Thanks in advance!
you're in the wrong forum
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Oh oh, here we go again LOL