Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:30 AM
d_k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML250
Towing with a ML250 Blutec

Hello

does anyone know if there is a trailer brake controller available for this model?
i searched and found a harness online that was really cheap. Has anyone used one?

astly, is a weight distributing hitch recommended for your cars?

thanks in advance.

David
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,150 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I tow a 3,300 lb boat+trailer with a W166 and no weight distributing hitch. It is a very good combination. The vehicle suspension is level, and the ride and steering are stable and comfortable. The brakes are adequate, this is an area where M-B could do better.

How heavy is your towed load?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 AM
d_k

ML250
Im looking for a travel trailer between 4000-5000 lbs.
Im mostly concerned about the tounge weight and brakes.

Owners manual mentions something about a bake controller. Has anyon trid?

Originally Posted by chassis
I tow a 3,300 lb boat+trailer with a W166 and no weight distributing hitch. It is a very good combination. The vehicle suspension is level, and the ride and steering are stable and comfortable. The brakes are adequate, this is an area where M-B could do better.

How heavy is your towed load?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I'm using a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller to haul my aluminum car hauler to FL and back to Canada each winter. Total weight about 4400 lbs. Heavy, but no problems! The Prodigy works great, adjustable boost for the trailer electric brakes, etc. Simple to install, mount the unit on trailer, plug in 7way trailer plug into unit, plug unit's 7way cable into vehicle, and lastly plug RF unit into 12V accessory plug in front, adjust the boost, and you're done. Completely adjustable! I have an aftermarket hitch, 2 1/16 ball and 7way plug on my 2015ML350BT. Not sure I'd use a 250, but, that's me....
ps://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

The Prodigy unit is siderail mounted just rear of the box!
​​​​​​​

Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Originally Posted by Koenig1
I'm using a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller to haul my aluminum car hauler to FL and back to Canada each winter. Total weight about 4400 lbs. Heavy, but no problems! The Prodigy works great, adjustable boost for the trailer electric brakes, etc. Simple to install, mount the unit on trailer, plug in 7way trailer plug into unit, plug unit's 7way cable into vehicle, and lastly plug RF unit into 12V accessory plug in front, adjust the boost, and you're done. Completely adjustable! I have an aftermarket hitch, 2 1/16 ball and 7way plug on my 2015ML350BT. Not sure I'd use a 250, but, that's me....
ps://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

The Prodigy unit is siderail mounted just rear of the box!

Nice car !!
Old 09-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I tow a 20ft travel trailer (Rpod 190). It weighs just under 4000lbs and I do use a weight distribution hitch. Be aware the factory hitch is not rated for weight distribution, so if you plan to use weight distribution, you need to replace the hitch with one rated for weight distribution, or take a chance with the factory hitch. I run a Redarc Tow-pro Elite brake controller. I wanted a wired solution for reliability vs wireless, but did not want an ugly tacked on "box" mounted to the bottom of the dash. The Redarc looks great and functions perfectly. I have the ML350 Bluetec and it tows that trailer with ease and very efficiently. Depending on terrain and whether I have boats on the roof rack, and other cargo, I get a true calculated 15-19 MPG towing it. Pics of the setup below:

Last edited by johnand; 09-17-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo on URL
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Quote"I wanted a wired solution for reliability vs wireless, but did not want an ugly tacked on "box" mounted to the bottom of the dash."
I guess I was a bit skeptical going wireless, and worried about what might happen if the controller lost connection. In actual fact, should the wireless unit lose power(ie: plug jumps out of cigarette lighter, the 'brain' will live on, always saving/remembering your last setting! The handheld is just that/size of a phone, and usually sits/rests in square by center console when plugged into lighter. when not in use, it lives in the glove box. There are a lot of these out there, and many large mobile homes use it to haul trailers behind.... it the wireless passes through their rig, then the ML has no problem.... just saying....
https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...ler-90250.webm
and NO, no affiliation...!
Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 AM
d_k

ML250
Thank you for the reply. Im looking to tow something that size as you have.

Is there a plug under the dash for a brake controller?

Originally Posted by johnand
I tow a 20ft travel trailer (Rpod 190). It weighs just under 4000lbs and I do use a weight distribution hitch. Be aware the factory hitch is not rated for weight distribution, so if you plan to use weight distribution, you need to replace the hitch with one rated for weight distribution, or take a chance with the factory hitch. I run a Redarc Tow-pro Elite brake controller. I wanted a wired solution for reliability vs wireless, but did not want an ugly tacked on "box" mounted to the bottom of the dash. The Redarc looks great and functions perfectly. I have the ML350 Bluetec and it tows that trailer with ease and very efficiently. Depending on terrain and whether I have boats on the roof rack, and other cargo, I get a true calculated 15-19 MPG towing it. Pics of the setup below: