M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Want to install apple car play

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2020 | 05:39 PM

2015 ML 350
Want to install apple car play

new here on website. I want to install apple car play if someone can help me find a product and install guide please. Located in canada.
Old 11-29-2020 | 01:47 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by deep1007
new here on website. I want to install apple car play if someone can help me find a product and install guide please. Located in canada.
Use search.
Old 11-29-2020 | 02:58 AM

2015 ML 350
there soo many to look at plus I wanted the latest one and the sites which some have provided doesnt work
Old 11-29-2020 | 03:43 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
there soo many to look at plus I wanted the latest one and the sites which some have provided doesnt work
ok

Source?
Old 12-12-2020 | 06:58 AM

09, SL550 and 14 AMG GL63
Apple Carplay retrofit

Road Top Direct Apple Carplay

on Amazon (comes w trim toolkit free).
Old 12-13-2020 | 10:27 PM

2012 ML 350 (W166)
I 'm also looking to add it, but i think the most sense would be to replace OEM head unit with Aftermarket and now is on-sale at AvinUSA as well...

AvinUSA Unit

There is a couple very good youtube videos how to install this unit

Looks simple...

I have this in my cart:9" Multimedia Navigation System For Mercedes-Benz ML W166 GL X166 NTG 4.5
See Details
FREE Live Chat Tech Support
YES - Real live human support is awesome!
What model year is your Mercedes ML (W166) GL (X166)?
2012 - 2015 (NTG 4.5)
Please select hardware version:
(North America) | Android 10 With 4GB RAM | SIM Card Support | Qualcomm Snapdragon
Add optional AutoPlay Adapter w/ Support for CarPlay and A-Auto
YES - Black adapter (Support wireless CarPlay)
Add optional GPS Splitter so you can continue to use your OEM GPS antenna together with the factory navigation and Android system
YES
Add optional AUX Splitter so you can continue to use AUX with other devices.
YES
Add optional external microphone
No
Add optional ML GL rear-view backup camera
No
Add Dual DVR Dashboard Camera Records both Front and Back View
No
Add optional FRONT parking camera (Model: UFBCAM1)
No
Add optional WiFi OBD2 adapter for Torque
YES
Add optional DAB+ and USB Hub (Not for North America)
No
iGO GPS Maps MicroSD Card (No internet required)
None
Add optional Digital TV Tuner
No
Add optional Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Model: TPMS-USB)
No
Wireless Mini Keyboard Mouse Touchpad with Backlight
No
Add optional 5 pcs Car Interior Trim Removal Tool Kit
No
Are you shipping to an address outside of the USA?
NO. My shipping address is in the US.
$567.95

Last edited by vrmb; 12-13-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2020 | 02:17 PM

2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by we47b1me
Use search.
he is a newB so just cut him a bit of slack bud..

Anyhow, in order to do it you will need to replace the whole head unit and will need something like the ones in the facelift W166 (from 16-19).
There was something posted a LONG time ago regarding using carplay with the headunit on the 12-15 models but you need a touch screen to use it.
Old 12-19-2020 | 11:56 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by vrmb
I 'm also looking to add it, but i think the most sense would be to replace OEM head unit with Aftermarket and now is on-sale at AvinUSA as well...

AvinUSA Unit

There is a couple very good youtube videos how to install this unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9I2hALkaH4

Looks simple...

I have this in my cart:9" Multimedia Navigation System For Mercedes-Benz ML W166 GL X166 NTG 4.5
See Details
FREE Live Chat Tech Support
YES - Real live human support is awesome!
What model year is your Mercedes ML (W166) GL (X166)?
2012 - 2015 (NTG 4.5)
Please select hardware version:
(North America) | Android 10 With 4GB RAM | SIM Card Support | Qualcomm Snapdragon
Add optional AutoPlay Adapter w/ Support for CarPlay and A-Auto
YES - Black adapter (Support wireless CarPlay)
Add optional GPS Splitter so you can continue to use your OEM GPS antenna together with the factory navigation and Android system
YES
Add optional AUX Splitter so you can continue to use AUX with other devices.
YES
Add optional external microphone
No
Add optional ML GL rear-view backup camera
No
Add Dual DVR Dashboard Camera Records both Front and Back View
No
Add optional FRONT parking camera (Model: UFBCAM1)
No
Add optional WiFi OBD2 adapter for Torque
YES
Add optional DAB+ and USB Hub (Not for North America)
No
iGO GPS Maps MicroSD Card (No internet required)
None
Add optional Digital TV Tuner
No
Add optional Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Model: TPMS-USB)
No
Wireless Mini Keyboard Mouse Touchpad with Backlight
No
Add optional 5 pcs Car Interior Trim Removal Tool Kit
No
Are you shipping to an address outside of the USA?
NO. My shipping address is in the US.
$567.95
I just purchased last week from AVIN and finished installing about an hr ago. The videos were a slight help but there is a lot more that they did not show. I will help you with whatever you need. For instance, i did NOT use the GPS they sent with the screen. I did not want to deal with the issues people have with signal. I split the OEM GPS and it works perfect. I get signal in my garage with the doors down. Also i wasn't sure what connector the OEM GPS was. It is WHITE coming out of the radio and not a FAKRA connector. However i used a FAKRA splitter (blue) by shaving one little piece of plastic off the post on the OEM radio, there are 2 just like a FAKRA but they are 30deg apart not 180. Then ordered a FAKRA to SMA connector to screw into the screen.

Amazon Amazon

The remaining installation the videos cover well, HOWEVER there is alot missing with info on how the software works with apple car play, android, and the NTG system. I will save you guys some time and post a video later. Trust me if you want it to work together there are alot of settings inside google maps, carplay (AIRPLAY) you cannot connect your iphone to the headunit via bluetooth. You have to make a decision on how you plan to use the screen. My plan was CARPLAY for everything, you can even set the music app button to bring up carplay. Then have google maps (seperate from carplay on the android side) with maps downloaded offline onto a SD card for areas of no signal. (I cannot rely on cell coverage when i travel to remote places). Then the AUX settings are important for the ROW and COLUMNS (explained somewhat in some of the videos but lacking some detail).
If you want wireless carplay it uses WIFI, and the bluetooth signal gets confused on the headunit and stops carplay music from playing (again this is only apple products, i dont know android) I finally figured out every setting so it all works seamlessly, that took about 6hrs of trial and error. Total hardware installation was under 2 hrs.

So all said and done its seamless, if my wife pushes the radio button on the oem unit the radio comes up and plays, then if you go back to CARPLAY the android automatically turns AUX back on and the music plays. Also if i want to use google maps (outside of carplay) when no service the audio works there too, AND, if carplay is running with pandora or reading my text messages, google Maps (again outside of carplay) lowers my carplay volumn and still provides guidance. This require some change of settings inside google maps as well.

I do have factory nav and bluetooth. I was going to keep my factory nav and forget google but after i learned i can go offline with the maps that was a gamechanger. I now use NOTHING on the NTG side except the radio.

Installation tip:
I was NOT able to pull the wires DOWN into the HVAC control area like all the vidoes show, there is a plastic shelf with only a 1" space in thh back and that the large block connector will never clear and i did not want to pull hard and end up with connection issues. What i did was remove the new screen and plastic mount and dropped a string down one of the holes, tied it to the plastic connector (inspecting how i want it to go up, and where the wires run to and from). This allowed me to gently pull the large block connector harness up into the screen area as I gently slid the radio back in. it worked seamless and took about 5mins. I left the string in there.

2013 ML350 bluetec
The following users liked this post:
Babukb2 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020 | 12:38 PM

ML350
sounds like it was a bit of a hassle, but that you got everything working the way you wanted it to in the end, looking forward to your video!
Old 12-20-2020 | 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
How does your backup camera look on the new screen. I have one of these but the pictures of the backup camera on the new screen is keeping me from installing.
Old 01-05-2021 | 12:45 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
I have another post you guys can look at. Everything works flawless for me. Keep in mind i use apple car play (wireless dongle) and have an external mic. I thought i would go to the OEM side from time to time but i never do. Its 2013 old tech now. The android side is perfect and is crystal clear and offers 1000x than 2013 tech on the OEM side. Just my .02
Old 01-05-2021 | 12:48 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...installed.html