M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Android 10 9” installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2020 | 09:36 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Android 10 9” installed

Everything works awesome. Can someone help me with how to change the Android splash screen at start to a custom one.

Last edited by turbosl2; 12-24-2020 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Babukb2 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020 | 09:45 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Bought this from Avin and was able to split the OEM gps antenna which was a little extra figuring out but well worth it. The unit works seem less after many hours of figuring out how to get AUX to auto switch from radio on ntg side to android. CarPlay or android auto works right when I start the car as well. Google maps (offline maps) downloaded as well onto 256gb mini smart card. I now never go back to the ntg side ever. I also have prime video, pandora, Facebook, Google chrome and a few other apps to manage my homes automation (smart life, nest, ZOSI security cams). I spend most of the time in CarPlay but if my wife is in the car she sometimes will use the other apps while I drive. I am highly satisfied!!

Babukb2 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Can you share a pic of the screen while the backup camera is on?
Old 12-24-2020 | 02:41 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Can you share a pic of the screen while the backup camera is on?
I have the OEM back up camera looks exactly like it did with the other screen
Old 12-24-2020 | 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the factory screen?
Old 12-24-2020 | 09:34 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
With the factory screen?
?
Old 12-25-2020 | 11:46 AM

ML350
i've also heard that on the newer screens, the OEM backup camera looks worse. i think because it is meant for the older lower resolution screen, but the new android screens are higher resolution. so it takes a low res image and stretches it (i think) and looks really bad. i think that is what @BlownV8 is trying to ask/figure out for the new screen.
but from what you're saying is that you have the oem backup camera and the image looks perfectly normal on the new screen, no worse/no better than it used to on the oem screen?

what did you end up using from the extras that you bought with the screen?
iirc you bought...
optional AutoPlay Adapter w/ Support for CarPlay and A-Auto, not sure if you bought the black adapter or the white adapter though (im trying to figure out if i would need one of these)
gps splitter (i know it wasnt a factory fit but did you end up using it to get your oem gps antenna to work, by cutting/splitting something) (i actually see they took this off their site as an addon for this screen now, must've taken your feedback about it not working )

i dont think i recall in your order screenshot the aux splitter, external mic, dvr, backup camera, or any other add ons.
Old 12-25-2020 | 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, same clarity as factory screen? If so, post a pic of the screen while the backup camera is activated. All of the others with the newer larger screen seem to have a horrible image with the backup and surround view; in fact, so bad that they put the factory screen back in.
Old 12-25-2020 | 05:26 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Babukb2
i've also heard that on the newer screens, the OEM backup camera looks worse. i think because it is meant for the older lower resolution screen, but the new android screens are higher resolution. so it takes a low res image and stretches it (i think) and looks really bad. i think that is what @BlownV8 is trying to ask/figure out for the new screen.
but from what you're saying is that you have the oem backup camera and the image looks perfectly normal on the new screen, no worse/no better than it used to on the oem screen?

what did you end up using from the extras that you bought with the screen?
iirc you bought...
optional AutoPlay Adapter w/ Support for CarPlay and A-Auto, not sure if you bought the black adapter or the white adapter though (im trying to figure out if i would need one of these)
gps splitter (i know it wasnt a factory fit but did you end up using it to get your oem gps antenna to work, by cutting/splitting something) (i actually see they took this off their site as an addon for this screen now, must've taken your feedback about it not working )

i dont think i recall in your order screenshot the aux splitter, external mic, dvr, backup camera, or any other add ons.
ahh gotcha. Yes the resolution of the camera is low compared to the screen. The camera does look worse because as you said it’s on a screen twice the size. I am okay with this since I only use my camera for a visual. I am still a neck turner, lol. It’s visible and I like the larger screen but quality is reduced.

So what I ordered was the aux splitter, didn’t use. Black Apple CarPlay/Android wireless dongle. Gps antenna splitter (didn’t fit and required more wire adapters from amazon and me shaving one small plastic post with my knife on the oem head unit. Well worth it since the gps antenna in the car is awesome and it runs both ntg nav and the Android flawlessly. A 256gb scan disk micro SD. A dual USB snap in port for my glovebox (cut the hole with my dremmel so I didn’t just have female usb wires dangling around)I will post in a min.
Old 12-25-2020 | 05:30 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Also forgot to mention I didn’t but the microphone but since the mic in the screen was right next to the HVAC outlet it was kinda stupid and my friends told me sounded like I was a million miles always. Took it back out and added a mic I bought off amazon

Old 12-25-2020 | 06:21 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Yes, same clarity as factory screen? If so, post a pic of the screen while the backup camera is activated. All of the others with the newer larger screen seem to have a horrible image with the backup and surround view; in fact, so bad that they put the factory screen back in.
Here is a link to a quick video
Babukb2 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020 | 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
If my intent is only to use this as a upgrade from the old screen and never to use android side, is that possible? Will it default in whichever mode you decide? Backup camera indeed looks same, if not better on the new screen.
Old 12-26-2020 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The backup camera looks better than I've seen on the other models. Thanks for sharing. Really nice setup.
Old 12-26-2020 | 04:49 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
The backup camera looks better than I've seen on the other models. Thanks for sharing. Really nice setup.
I think it’s the video. It is not better I can assure you!
Old 12-26-2020 | 04:50 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
If my intent is only to use this as a upgrade from the old screen and never to use android side, is that possible? Will it default in whichever mode you decide? Backup camera indeed looks same, if not better on the new screen.
yes you can have it boot to oem side and not use android. It puts the oem side to shame tho. I guess if your not tech savey then I get it. Personally you would be wasting your money for the bigger screen. Resolution is not as good since screen is larger and oem output is the same. Not worth it for just that
Old 12-26-2020 | 05:18 PM

ML350
awesome, it looks great, thanks for sharing!

i have an android phone, what is the point of the apple/android wireless dongle? can't the phone just be connected via bluetooth like with the oem screen?
i also see you are using a sim card (display shows LTE), do you know if you are able to get internet access to the screen without the sim card, by hotspotting your phone or sharing internet over bluetooth? (this was going to be my method vs paying for a seperate sim card just for the car)
any audio issues? with some of the other screens i have seen posts that audio quality was really bad in certain situations such as playing music over bluetooth.
Old 12-26-2020 | 09:29 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Babukb2
awesome, it looks great, thanks for sharing!

i have an android phone, what is the point of the apple/android wireless dongle? can't the phone just be connected via bluetooth like with the oem screen?
i also see you are using a sim card (display shows LTE), do you know if you are able to get internet access to the screen without the sim card, by hotspotting your phone or sharing internet over bluetooth? (this was going to be my method vs paying for a seperate sim card just for the car)
any audio issues? with some of the other screens i have seen posts that audio quality was really bad in certain situations such as playing music over bluetooth.
what your seeing is my wife hotspot or prob from my wife’s phones WiFi hotspot. No sim in my screen. Although I do have a micro SD.
Babukb2 (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turbosl2
I think it’s the video. It is not better I can assure you!
Not better than the OE screen but it seems to look clearer than the other Android units. Maybe post a pic of the backup screen while you are outside or a short video of the screen while backing?
Old 12-28-2020 | 09:26 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Not better than the OE screen but it seems to look clearer than the other Android units. Maybe post a pic of the backup screen while you are outside or a short video of the screen while backing?
will do. Wondering if it’s possible to either replace the backup camera with a upgraded one using same wire and convert the input directly to the screens RCA cable. Then in android software change to “ “aftermarket camera”. I just don’t want to run another wire. Anyone tried this?
Old 12-29-2020 | 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
yes you can have it boot to oem side and not use android. It puts the oem side to shame tho. I guess if your not tech savey then I get it. Personally you would be wasting your money for the bigger screen. Resolution is not as good since screen is larger and oem output is the same. Not worth it for just that

thanks for the feedback, it looks ok on the OEM side, guess not. They all say OEM side looks equal or better. Thanks for saving me time and frustration!!!
Old 12-30-2020 | 07:37 AM

GLK250 ML350
Can i see what is looks like once switch to oem side? Do you have the red and blue button once you are on the oem side?
Old 12-30-2020 | 11:44 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
That screen is way too big and looks tacky, should have done the smaller one.

And your phone call quality is going to suck now by using the Android side for 2 reasons. 1 -- because that mic is shi* compared to the MB noise cancelling and correctly positioned one, and 2 -- because the Android side routes the calls only thru 1 speaker and sounds muffled and distorted. I would recommend you use NTG for calls, and android for everything else.
Old 01-05-2021 | 12:40 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by we47b1me
That screen is way too big and looks tacky, should have done the smaller one.

And your phone call quality is going to suck now by using the Android side for 2 reasons. 1 -- because that mic is shi* compared to the MB noise cancelling and correctly positioned one, and 2 -- because the Android side routes the calls only thru 1 speaker and sounds muffled and distorted. I would recommend you use NTG for calls, and android for everything else.
To each their own. I think it looks great and wanted android 10. My call quality is better than on the OEM side because i installed the optional mic mounted on my steering column. I dont tether to the andoid side but i do use apple car play and its better than i had with the OEM MB crap. I actually bought this because i had terrible quality with my iphone 11 pro max and it being crackling and skipping on BT. I would never go back, in fact i NEVER use the OEM NTG side anymore except when the backup cam pops up.

And my adnroid system does not route through one speaker, again i use wireless car play so maybe that's the difference.
Babukb2 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021 | 12:42 PM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
To each their own. I think it looks great and wanted android 10. My call quality is better than on the OEM side because i installed the optional mic mounted on my steering column. I dont tether to the andoid side but i do use apple car play and its better than i had with the OEM MB crap. I actually bought this because i had terrible quality with my iphone 11 pro max and it being crackling and skipping on BT. I would never go back, in fact i NEVER use the OEM NTG side anymore except when the backup cam pops up.
ask the caller on the other end to compare the difference. who cares what you hear -- what matters is the other side's ability to hear your clearly. you'll see.

but ok. something clearly wrong with your COMAND if you were having those issues on iPhone 11.
Old 01-05-2021 | 12:47 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by we47b1me
ask the caller on the other end to compare the difference. who cares what you hear -- what matters is the other side's ability to hear your clearly. you'll see.

but ok. something clearly wrong with your COMAND if you were having those issues on iPhone 11.
I already did, this is why i took it back apart and installed the external mic. That was not in my original purchase. I even had my wife call me without the external mic so i could hear it. Then did the same after i tore it all down to add the mic. Its 100% perfect. The problem with the internal mic is 1) its located on the side of the screen and buried deep in the screen, 2) it sits right next to the HVAC vent. $9 fixed the problem