M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Emissions ECU firmware update 2020

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 01:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
w164
Emissions ECU firmware update 2020

Hello. My ML350 Bluetec was touched by the Mercedes recall for emissions update 2020. (ECU firmware update). I did the update, and i notice one thing is different in xentry.. Before the update, a dpf regen always started at 100% fill level (soot) in dpf, allways at 100%. But after i updated to newest ecu firmware, dpf regen starts always at 50% fill level (soot).. But, with the new firmware it takes longer time (more kilometers) to reach 50%, than it took to reach 100% before the update. Does anyone know something about this? Either is the logic for dpf rebuilded / changed in the newest ecu firmware, otherwise my values in dpf is totaly wrong..

Regards

Old 02-13-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Don't know. As far as I know for those of us here in the US, nothing is happening. Maybe in your country it's different....
Old 02-14-2021, 03:11 AM

w164
Originally Posted by Etienne Lau
Don't know. As far as I know for those of us here in the US, nothing is happening. Maybe in your country it's different....
Ok, im in Europe, Norway. Here is a link to the official recall. You ca tap in your win, and check if your car is affected. Technische Maßnahmen und Rückrufe (mercedes-benz.de)

Regards
Old 02-14-2021, 11:45 AM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
That link does not apply to the US/Canadian vehicles. MB has not done anything regarding the Bluetec issues in US/Canada. No recall, no nothing. What you posted is strictly ROW(rest of the world).
Old 02-15-2021, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Something is in the works here as well. I'm told that MBNA appears to be bringing in large shipments of catalytic converters and NOx sensors for the Bluetecs.

P.S. This may be it: https://www.consumerreports.org/emis...ns-settlement/

Last edited by Diabolis; 02-15-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 All-terrain
Originally Posted by kkarb
Hello. My ML350 Bluetec was touched by the Mercedes recall for emissions update 2020. (ECU firmware update). I did the update, and i notice one thing is different in xentry.. Before the update, a dpf regen always started at 100% fill level (soot) in dpf, allways at 100%. But after i updated to newest ecu firmware, dpf regen starts always at 50% fill level (soot).. But, with the new firmware it takes longer time (more kilometers) to reach 50%, than it took to reach 100% before the update. Does anyone know something about this? Either is the logic for dpf rebuilded / changed in the newest ecu firmware, otherwise my values in dpf is totaly wrong..

Regards
Your observations is perfect!

Regeneration, will always starts at 100%.

But, for reaching 100% you need to drive only on max rpm a suficient time and distance...or to drive only on fuel reserve.

As on max rpm, the smoke will be present or without enough fuel, the regeneration will be postponed...

As you correctly notice, with the new software, you can drive much more till reach 50%....

This means that with the new software, the engine produce much less smoke... particles.

50% load, means 50% filled with particles. No particles, no load.

Now, because all of this, a preventive regeneration routine ( shorter with less fuel consumption) is started, ( as I remember) every 250km for city drive and 500km on highway drive.

Also, the regeneration process can be started ( in colder countries) just for helping the engine to reach much faster the operating temperature.

The new software is genial and your values is exactly as it should be.

The following 2 users liked this post by trigital:
Diabolis (03-04-2021), kkarb (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:47 AM

w164
Originally Posted by trigital
Your observations is perfect!

Regeneration, will always starts at 100%.

But, for reaching 100% you need to drive only on max rpm a suficient time and distance...or to drive only on fuel reserve.

As on max rpm, the smoke will be present or without enough fuel, the regeneration will be postponed...

As you correctly notice, with the new software, you can drive much more till reach 50%....

This means that with the new software, the engine produce much less smoke... particles.

50% load, means 50% filled with particles. No particles, no load.

Now, because all of this, a preventive regeneration routine ( shorter with less fuel consumption) is started, ( as I remember) every 250km for city drive and 500km on highway drive.

Also, the regeneration process can be started ( in colder countries) just for helping the engine to reach much faster the operating temperature.

The new software is genial and your values is exactly as it should be.

Thanks for great answare Its hard to search info about this at the web, MB is not telling so much about this dpf regen logic.
But, im totally agree with you, The new software is genial, and my car my car is much better after flashing the ecu to newest software / firmware.

Regards
Norway
Old 03-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 All-terrain
This SW even accept a slightly increase of response, like the Agility setting on newer models.

You can contact me on PM, if needed.
The following users liked this post:
kkarb (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:51 AM

w164
Originally Posted by trigital
This SW even accept a slightly increase of response, like the Agility setting on newer models.

You can contact me on PM, if needed.
I also have noticed this increase😊. The car is a bit quicker from the botton👍👍