M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

A/C Expansion Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350
A/C Expansion Valve Replacement

My A/C was diaged as needing the expansion valve replaced. It doesn't appear to be a difficult job but not a DIY. Has any other ML350 (166) owners had this repair done at an independent shop and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking- thanks!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E-350 Loaded
I am a HVAC professional, a TXV is NOT a DIY job.
A shop that specializes in A/C should be fine. A dirty messy 1 man shop I'd avoid.
NOTE: get a price from your dealer, you may be surprised when comparing prices to competition.
Generally a TXV replacement involves a new valve, new refrigerant dryer / receiver, o-rings, recovery, evacuation, and recharge.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350
Thanks for your reply and professional advice- there any harm in not doing the repair as long as the a/c is blowing cold 90% of the time?
Old 09-18-2021, 08:00 AM

2021 E-350 Loaded
Originally Posted by mikepricephoto
Thanks for your reply and professional advice- there any harm in not doing the repair as long as the a/c is blowing cold 90% of the time?
When does the a/c fail the 10% of the time? On hot start-up or running down the road at speed?
That doesn't sound like a bad TXV.
Did they reclaim and weigh in the proper refrigerant charge?
I don't want to diagnose via forums but if a TXV is clogged or failed it doesn't start to work unless there is moisture in the system (freezes). I've seem them overfeed, start cooling fine then die or just be dead period.
Inexperienced techs will just add refrigerant without observing the high side.
The sad part is by replacing the TXV they'll likely inadvertently solve the issue because the aforementioned would have to be done regardless.
That being said, I strongly caution against going to Walmart and buying a can of refrigerant.
Finally, to answer you question of damage, without going into detail, it's very possible to damage the compressor if the refrigerant flow is improper.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 09-18-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
When does the a/c fail the 10% of the time? On hot start-up or running down the road at speed?
That doesn't sound like a bad TXV.
Did they reclaim and weigh in the proper refrigerant charge?
I don't want to diagnose via forums but if a TXV is clogged or failed it doesn't start to work unless there is moisture in the system (freezes). I've seem them overfeed, start cooling fine then die or just be dead period.
Inexperienced techs will just add refrigerant without observing the high side.
The sad part is by replacing the TXV they'll likely inadvertently solve the issue because the aforementioned would have to be done regardless.
That being said, I strongly caution against going to Walmart and buying a can of refrigerant.
Finally, to answer you question of damage, without going into detail, it's very possible to damage the compressor if the refrigerant flow is improper.
@SmokinJoe What is the risk of putting a can of Walmart refrigerant into the system?
Old 09-18-2021, 10:28 AM

2021 E-350 Loaded
LOL, blowing up the compressor internally, wrong refrigerant, hurting yourself.
Most kits don't have the hi-side hose and gauge and if there is a restriction you'll be operating WAY over the design head pressure. Most folks (even some certified auto mechanics) wouldn't even know what they reading on the gauges even if they had a full set.
Expensive car, have a pro do it the way I suggested.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 09-18-2021 at 10:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
LOL, blowing up the compressor internally, wrong refrigerant, hurting yourself.
Most kits don't have the hi-side hose and gauge and if there is a restriction you'll be operating WAY over the design head pressure. Most folks (even some certified auto mechanics) wouldn't even know what they reading on the gauges even if they had a full set.
Expensive car, have a pro do it the way I suggested.
Thanks @SmokinJoe . Are you an MB or auto tech?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM

2021 E-350 Loaded
Originally Posted by chassis
Thanks @SmokinJoe . Are you an MB or auto tech?
You're welcome. No, I'm an Unlimited certified HVAC & Refrigeration Mechanical Contractor, Master Electrician and instructor since 1973. Please heed my advise, I can't tell you how many people have messed up their cars by trying internet DIY. I had my neighbor put 5 cans of the wrong refrigerant in the a/c of his Catamaran. Cost him $1400 just to get back to square one, only to find his water cooled condenser coil was fouled.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
You're welcome. No, I'm an Unlimited certified HVAC & Refrigeration Mechanical Contractor, Master Electrician and instructor since 1973. Please heed my advise, I can't tell you how many people have messed up their cars by trying internet DIY. I had my neighbor put 5 cans of the wrong refrigerant in the a/c of his Catamaran. Cost him $1400 just to get back to square one, only to find his water cooled condenser coil was fouled.
Thanks again, it’s good to have your experience on the site. R134A is the only automotive refrigerant in use these days, is this correct?