ML W166 Erratic Dash Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 BlueTech AMG-Line
ML W166 Erratic Dash Warning Lights

Hello,

I have an ML 350 Bluetch and after coming back from a holiday, the car started giving me erratic dash warning lights.

- Presafe function inoperable
- ABS
- ESP
- Parking Break
- Without Gear Selection
- CEL
- Airbag light

Pretty much everything flashing as I drive. Sometimes the dash will completely die and come back after a while, I can also feel the electronic assist on the steering wheel not working as well. I can also really feel the gears changing and sometimes it will not go between P, N, R, D.

I have had the car for almost 2 years and it has been serviced mostly at MB and one time at a reputable indy that registered the service with Mercedes as well. It was working absolutely fine until now, it was parked on my driveway with temperatures 0 - 10 degrees celsius for 3 weeks in Scotland.

Something is causing the computer to go crazy but I don't know where to start...

So far I have replaced the main battery.

Any ideas, I am starting to feel desperate...

Old 01-12-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Ramaya
Hello,

I have an ML 350 Bluetch and after coming back from a holiday, the car started giving me erratic dash warning lights.

- Presafe function inoperable
- ABS
- ESP
- Parking Break
- Without Gear Selection
- CEL
- Airbag light

Pretty much everything flashing as I drive. Sometimes the dash will completely die and come back after a while, I can also feel the electronic assist on the steering wheel not working as well. I can also really feel the gears changing and sometimes it will not go between P, N, R, D.

I have had the car for almost 2 years and it has been serviced mostly at MB and one time at a reputable indy that registered the service with Mercedes as well. It was working absolutely fine until now, it was parked on my driveway with temperatures 0 - 10 degrees celsius for 3 weeks in Scotland.

Something is causing the computer to go crazy but I don't know where to start...

So far I have replaced the main battery.

Any ideas, I am starting to feel desperate...

Scan the car.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
See my thread = https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ages-dash.html

The same thing happened to me around 115k km. I have uploaded a video on YouTube. In my case, it turned out it was the blind spot sensors located in threar bumper that messed up the electrical system. Every detail is in the thread that I linked. Hopefully, it's the same issue.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Last edited by Potrice; 01-13-2022 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ramaya (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:44 PM

ML350 BlueTech AMG-Line
Hi, thanks for linking this. Mine has the same symptoms but does not have a blind spot function.

Today I drove it again and for a while, it had no warnings but I noticed that it was the PRE-SAFE Function one that came on first before the rest started to go erratic again. Did yours show during scanning?

Do you maybe know what PRE-SAFE functions are?

I have the car booked to be scanned but I am trying to understand the issue as well.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:50 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
Hi, thanks for linking this. Mine has the same symptoms but does not have a blind spot function.

Today I drove it again and for a while, it had no warnings but I noticed that it was the PRE-SAFE Function one that came on first before the rest started to go erratic again. Did yours show during scanning?

I have the car booked to be scanned but I am trying to understand the issue as well.
I don't have a scanner. It was still under CPO warranty so the dealership fixed it. I'm currently at 242 000 km and having the pre safe function issue as well. No other CEL or messages. The only thing not working is the front collision assist. Everything else is fine. Wish I could help you more.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:13 PM

ML350

PRE-SAFE: https://www.mercedesofsalem.com/blog...e-safe-system/

ive also seen that message pop up on mine, but for me it was also due to an issue with a blind spot sensor.
If you dont have blind spot sensors my guess would be some other sensor or electrical issue, maybe parking sensors if you have them? iirc the harnes connecting to my blind spot sensor was either the same one going to my parkins sensors or it was at least attached to the harness going to the parking sensors.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,966 Likes on 3,118 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Replace the aux battery. Search function will bring up diy instructions.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2024, 04:43 PM

ml350
Few lights on dashboard

Originally Posted by we47b1me
Scan the car.
. While driving, some few light will pop on my dashboard and the AC, radio, trafication light, rare light, glass would stop working and sometimes it will come up by itself and sometimes it won’t! Pls I need help, I am so bothered about this for a long time now

Old 08-03-2024, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W166 ML350
Originally Posted by lars2
. While driving, some few light will pop on my dashboard and the AC, radio, trafication light, rare light, glass would stop working and sometimes it will come up by itself and sometimes it won’t! Pls I need help, I am so bothered about this for a long time now
This is common for cars with a broken blind spot sensor. The weather seal on the sensor ages and allows water and dirt to get in. The water and dirt then shorts/grounds the CANBUS signal wires together, causing problems to the rest of the car. This would eventually just turn the entire car into a brick. To test: disconnect the harness for the rear parking distance sensors and blind spot sensors. It is behind the rear left wheel in the bumper skin. If the symptom goes away, you should then replace that entire harness and whichever blind spot sensor that's cracked open.