M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo cooling question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Turbo cooling question

In all of my previous turbo cars, I'd either install a turbo timer or simply idle the car for a minute or two after banging on it.

As I understand it, the V12TTs have cooling lines run to them, which circulate coolant after we shutdown, which enables us to shut the car down without fear of damaging the snails. My question is, after running her hard, say a high speed 150mph run, is it still safe to shut it down after coming to a stop, or would it still be wise to idle it for a minute or so to let the temperature stabilize?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Turbo Cooling

I don't know if it's required or not, but I always run mine easy for the last mile or 2 before shutdown to allow things to cool down....was always told to do that with a turbo motor and it's still in my turbo DNA. I was not aware that the IC pump kept cooling after shutdown, I'll listen for that.

I have noticed since getting my IC pump replaced is that the coolant hoses at the back of the engine going into the intercoolers are quite cool now upon shutdown or at operating temp engine idle wheras they were pretty warm before the pump was replaced. The IC cooling system appears to be pretty good when things are operating as they should be.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCE500
I don't know if it's required or not, but I always run mine easy for the last mile or 2 before shutdown to allow things to cool down....was always told to do that with a turbo motor and it's still in my turbo DNA. I was not aware that the IC pump kept cooling after shutdown, I'll listen for that.

I have noticed since getting my IC pump replaced is that the coolant hoses at the back of the engine going into the intercoolers are quite cool now upon shutdown or at operating temp engine idle wheras they were pretty warm before the pump was replaced. The IC cooling system appears to be pretty good when things are operating as they should be.
This part may be a myth. I could've sworn I read it somewhere within these internet walls.

Tony gave me your message, this weekend. Too bad you couldn't come up. We could've had us a good old fashioned arm-dropped drag race.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: Intercoolers Etc.

Tony's message was just a joke, and for what it's worth I gave up on street racing a while ago....too risky, especially with cars this fast and all the new technology being used by the cops in VA and Maryland these days.

I will get up to one of the MIR events this year where we can see what they will do; will first run a few time trials down here before it gets hot.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCE500
Tony's message was just a joke, and for what it's worth I gave up on street racing a while ago....too risky, especially with cars this fast and all the new technology being used by the cops in VA and Maryland these days.

I will get up to one of the MIR events this year where we can see what they will do; will first run a few time trials down here before it gets hot.
Meh. SL600 > Cop technology.

Yeah man, come on up. I won't be at the 4/2 rental, I'll be down near you at Myrtle Beach whacking my ***** all over the place. But I'm usually at every MIR rental.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
BOR,

The need for engine "cool down" with turbo cars is roughly 20 years behind the times. Modern day synthetics and oil cooling technologies have essentially eliminated the "fears" that gave rise to things like turbo timers/etc.

Your best bet, for 1-2 minutes before you shut the car down, stay out of boost. That should alleviate any fears of oil that has become superheated by the turbochargers staying anywhere that can't handle it.

-m
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
The coolant that circulates through the turbos only circulates when the water pump is running. It's T'd off the coolant that's running through the motor. When your motor stops, the water pump stops and the coolant stops flowing through both your turbos and the motor.

The IC cooling circuit is separate and only circulates coolant through the IC cores and the FMHE.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL600 Biturbo 2004
Turbo Cooling

Hi! I have problem with inflow to turbo air temperature.

It's allowed 70 C, but computer shows 98 C, I have replaced water pump for turbos and it is still heating. Enfine electrinics does not permit turbos work when temperature is high!

Power goes down!
Pls advice smth!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by Oxygen
The coolant that circulates through the turbos only circulates when the water pump is running. It's T'd off the coolant that's running through the motor. When your motor stops, the water pump stops and the coolant stops flowing through both your turbos and the motor.

The IC cooling circuit is separate and only circulates coolant through the IC cores and the FMHE.
in light of this topic, I thought I'd share this entry from the S220 forum.

Hi guys,

Guess what - CPO/ELW warranty on the V12TT's not as good as I thought. Even though it's zero deductible and I know it doesn't cover trim/consumable parts, I just found this out when they found coolant on the turbo. Of course, I assumed it was covered.

Here's what MB dealer says:

"coolant line leak, and it came up "not covered".
I waited for my warranty administrator and had her help me. She came up with the same result. It seems like they will not cover coolant lines or hoses, oil cooler lines or hoses for that matter. This is one of the engines that needs to come out in order to replace that coolant line seal. I estimate it would be around $3,0000.00 to do this job."
Yikes - NOT COVERED!!!