M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom inter-cooler design for m275 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w215 Cl65 AMG
Custom inter-cooler design for m275 engine

Well I've been looking for upgrades available in the aftermarket for my CL65, and honestly the price to performance of the majority of "bolt on" products available have me looking at making my own parts to install. Here is a little project I've been working on. Designed a quad inter cooler system in solid works that fits underneath the stock engine covers of the M275 amg! I took the measurements on my car, so non AMG dimensions may not be compatible.

The second inter-cooler core takes the place of the stock air-box, so a custom cold air intake solution must be used. I'm working on a design in solid works for that as well. I am going to contact bell inter-coolers to get a price estimate on how much they would cost for them to fabricate once I finish the design. Still need to add in the mount points for the engine and the engine covers. Really want to make this as "plug and play" as possible. It uses one of their off the shelf W2A inter cooler cores. Product code: AW600037060 (6" x 6"x 3.7" dimensions). Since you need 4 of them it's about 800 total not including fabrication. I'd guesstimate price of around $1.1-1.3k per assembly, about $2.5k total. 1/4" npt threads for water lines so hardware can easily be sourced. 2" air inlets/outlets. Waterlines would be adapted to the stock feed and return line on the engine. You could have one cooler feed the second, or T of the two feed lines so each core gets fresh water(this may be a tight fit under the engine, however.) Charge pipes and merger pipe I personally think would be easier for the installer to fabricate for their specific application, thus not included in the design. Let me know what you guys think. I also could easily modify the design to have 4-5 inch tall inter-cooler cores, giving you better cooling performance, but It was my goal to maintain a stock appearance under the hood. I may be bias, but I think the M275 engine is ugly without them

Let me know what you guys think, and if any changes should be taken into consideration!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 SL65
Interesting work. I like the direction you are going with this. Keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Very interesting, but I wouldn't get too ambitious until you trial fit some mock-ups. It's a tight space in there.

The turbo outlets bend backwards and will make the charge air pipe difficult to design.

Here's a valuable tip for free, this is what MB did, and few people realise what good design it was. Plumb the water in series, not parallel, but be sure to run the cold water inlet into the downstream cooler first. That way you get a counter-flow heat exchanger, which is always the most efficient configuration. It's the only way to get the outlet air cooler than the outlet water. I can explain more if needed.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w215 Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Very interesting, but I wouldn't get too ambitious until you trial fit some mock-ups. It's a tight space in there.

The turbo outlets bend backwards and will make the charge air pipe difficult to design.

Here's a valuable tip for free, this is what MB did, and few people realise what good design it was. Plumb the water in series, not parallel, but be sure to run the cold water inlet into the downstream cooler first. That way you get a counter-flow heat exchanger, which is always the most efficient configuration. It's the only way to get the outlet air cooler than the outlet water. I can explain more if needed.

Nick
Thanks for the advice. And yes if you could PM me more of an explanation about the water being in series and why is more efficient, that would be helpful. I'll see if I can get some 3d printed prototypes created first. Last thing I want to do I drop money on a custom intercooler that doesn't even fit.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 491 Likes on 367 Posts
222 S-65
OP I'm sure interested to know if IAT's and pressure drop across the charge cooler cores improve.

Interesting work!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
In my opinion, there are 2 critical things to think about with larger intercoolers:

1.The additional surface area for heat transfer acts like an obstruction to airflow. Stock turbos cannot maintain boost in the higher RPMs, so the larger intercoolers will only make this worse.

2. Obviously bigger intercoolers are used to absorb more heat. The problem becomes quicker heat soak if additional heat exchanges or a killer chiller isn't used to help lower the fluid temperature.
If you plan on going with larger intercoolers, plan on other supporting mods to battle the heat they absorb. You'll find there are more costs involved in making them function effectively.

The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:27 PM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
In my opinion, there are 2 critical things to think about with larger intercoolers:

1.The additional surface area for heat transfer acts like an obstruction to airflow. Stock turbos cannot maintain boost in the higher RPMs, so the larger intercoolers will only make this worse.

2. Obviously bigger intercoolers are used to absorb more heat. The problem becomes quicker heat soak if additional heat exchanges or a killer chiller isn't used to help lower the fluid temperature.
If you plan on going with larger intercoolers, plan on other supporting mods to battle the heat they absorb. You'll find there are more costs involved in making them function effectively.

naaaa just get Methanol/water injection and you'll fly with full boost all time
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...hanol-kit.html
Old 07-02-2020, 04:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
more on meth injection?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
'05 S430, '05 S600
How about this guys???

How hard would this be with the at-home technology available today???