M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal alternator behaviour?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
2007 CL600
Normal alternator behaviour?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if a few of you could do me a favour. If you are idling and just tap your throttle pedal can you observe what your voltage does and let me know if it is similar to this:
https://youtu.be/HmQOUCeFq5s

Spoke to an alternator refurbishing business and they said computer controller alternators can sometimes do strange looking things. I'm trying to work out if this is normal behaviour or not.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 05:49 PM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by pillowshot
Hi all,

I'm wondering if a few of you could do me a favour. If you are idling and just tap your throttle pedal can you observe what your voltage does and let me know if it is similar to this:
https://youtu.be/HmQOUCeFq5s

Spoke to an alternator refurbishing business and they said computer controller alternators can sometimes do strange looking things. I'm trying to work out if this is normal behaviour or not.

Thanks!
not to me
weird never seen this before
Old 07-08-2020, 05:24 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by pmercury
not to me
weird never seen this before
​​​Hi @pmercury

So you're saying your voltage does not change at all when you give the gas pedal a quick tap?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 AM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
​​​Hi @pmercury

So you're saying your voltage does not change at all when you give the gas pedal a quick tap?

Thanks
for me only up a bit or none
yes
but you never know, I can be wrong
Old 07-09-2020, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts
222 S-65
Volts in my cluster always go up when I tap the throttle from idle. I'm in Arizona.... Land of forever full-fielded alternators with A/C never able to keep up with my black car!

OP I suspect a failing voltage regulator in your car.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:52 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by JohnLane
Volts in my cluster always go up when I tap the throttle from idle. I'm in Arizona.... Land of forever full-fielded alternators with A/C never able to keep up with my black car!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have managed to get hold of a 48k mile S350 alternator (same part no.) And have thrown a new VR on it so for all intents and purposes should be in much better shape than my 120k mile one.

Getting this old one out is proving a pain.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by JohnLane

Is that the sign of a failing voltage regular? Mine drops down at idle and goes back up under any load. I’m not sure what happens if the battery is critically low, say 11.2 volts.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
Is that the sign of a failing voltage regular? Mine drops down at idle and goes back up under any load. I’m not sure what happens if the battery is critically low, say 11.2 volts.
As in when you're idling the voltage is lower? That is likely a VR.

My "issue" is if you tap the throttle quickly the voltage does a dip. From what I can gather this is normal (replacement alternator behaves the same).

I'm going to hook up a charger to my rear battery to see if that is the issue. Reads about 12.1v on the cluster with the car off.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
As in when you're idling the voltage is lower? That is likely a VR.

My "issue" is if you tap the throttle quickly the voltage does a dip. From what I can gather this is normal (replacement alternator behaves the same).

I'm going to hook up a charger to my rear battery to see if that is the issue. Reads about 12.1v on the cluster with the car off.
This doesn’t seem like normal behavior to me. Mine does the opposite, it seems to not charge at idle but pops up at anything above idle. I’m not digging into the car without a solid diagnosis though. Is this a solid confirmation?

Regarding your car, that doesn’t seem like normal behavior to me, unless the revving of the engine causes it to draw a lot more power, which doesn’t make sense. I would tread carefully. Perhaps call mercedes and ask to speak to a tech.