Maybach (W240) Produced 2002-2012

High demand for the new Maybach 57 in Europe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar
Question High demand for the new Maybach 57 in Europe?

I hear that there is a huge demand for the Maybach 57 in Europe? The car is so hot that some dealers are charging a $100,000 premium to customers who want the car now and don't want to wait? Does anybody know if the car is hotter than the mighty SL55 AMG when it came out last year? Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails High demand for the new Maybach 57 in Europe?-silversteelgreynewyorkwallstreetusflag.jpg  
Old 06-30-2003, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Maybe the Germans like it but the response has been pretty ho-hum in the UK. The common question asked is why you would ever want one when you could have an S600L or else go for the new Rolls Royce which is extraordinary to look at - it is huge and dwarfs the Maybach; so if it's road presence you're after...

Besides, the Rolls Royce is immediately recognisable as such, the Maybach brand is all but unknown. I also think it's ugly. The Rolls Royce is too, but in a Hummer-ish kind of way.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by blueSL
why you would ever want one when you could have an S600L or else go for the new Rolls Royce which is extraordinary to look at
I think that the reason why people are paying a premium to get into a Maybach is because the new Maybach 57 is faster than an S600L and the Rolls Royce, and it's also more luxurious.

I do agree that the Rolls has quite a reputation, but once people see and drive the new Maybach, things might change.

There's is no doubt that the S600L is no match for the Maybach, but it will be interesting to see the results in the magazines later on when they compare the Maybach and the Rolls Royce. Which one do you think will be the winner.... OVERALL ???
Old 07-02-2003, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I don't see the Maybach as a driver's car - it's a car for big shots to be driven around in so that they can enjoy the comfort in the back, the same mentality which makes the idea of a stretched limo appeal to some. I think it's going to be a rare owner who elbows his chauffeur out the way crying "hold on tight, it's my turn to drive today"...

The road tests here have said the Rolls does appeal as a driver's car. Not sure that out and out performance matters much at this level. Earlier this year, I heard an interesting fact that the S class is deliberately simpler than the SL or CL because people who buy an S are more concerned with ride comfort, perceived status and low noise while CL and especially SL owners want to know more about the car. Makes the S55 AMG a bit of an odd-ball really. The Rolls is quite simple on the surface - doesn't even have a rev counter - even if there's lots of wizardry underneath.

But what do I know? I don't have a lifestyle which makes a car like the Rolls or Maybach appropriate; it's not just the cost of the car, you need to have the lifestyle and connections which make it fit in. If I turned up to visit friends in either of them, they would laugh and ask just what sort of ego problem does he have to buy one of those. They might well point me at one those spam emails which talks about enlargement...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:45 AM

LOL, you are totally right...

Originally posted by blueSL
I don't see the Maybach as a driver's car - it's a car for big shots to be driven around in so that they can enjoy the comfort in the back, the same mentality which makes the idea of a stretched limo appeal to some. I think it's going to be a rare owner who elbows his chauffeur out the way crying "hold on tight, it's my turn to drive today"...

The road tests here have said the Rolls does appeal as a driver's car. Not sure that out and out performance matters much at this level. Earlier this year, I heard an interesting fact that the S class is deliberately simpler than the SL or CL because people who buy an S are more concerned with ride comfort, perceived status and low noise while CL and especially SL owners want to know more about the car. Makes the S55 AMG a bit of an odd-ball really. The Rolls is quite simple on the surface - doesn't even have a rev counter - even if there's lots of wizardry underneath.

But what do I know? I don't have a lifestyle which makes a car like the Rolls or Maybach appropriate; it's not just the cost of the car, you need to have the lifestyle and connections which make it fit in. If I turned up to visit friends in either of them, they would laugh and ask just what sort of ego problem does he have to buy one of those. They might well point me at one those spam emails which talks about enlargement...
However, if you want to understand why people buy a car like the Maybach, you should check out www.maybach.ru So far, that website is the best site that I have found which provides all kind of data about the Maybach. Take a look at it and let me know what you think...

www.maybach.ru (Just click on the english link and you are in !!!)
Old 07-02-2003, 09:23 AM

there is a large demand for the Maybach in Europe and people are even purchasing the Maybach's from USA dealers, and parties and are exporting them from the USA and importing them into Europe.

There are ways to accomplish this as if a dealer were to find our you were to do this he would not sell you the vehicle.

The reason has to do with USA/European allocations as MB only 'wants' a certain number of Maybach's going to certain places.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 AM

Exclamation

The $100 thousand dollar premium is ridiculous, but if that's how bad some people want the car then that's their problem. There are only 2 reasons for me to pay that much for it. One is that I love the luxurious amenities and two is the monstrous body it has. I sure wish there was a way to make the S-class that big (57 size) and luxurious and still carry the same sportier looks of of the S as well. Hopfully the next generation Maybach (if there is one) will look sportier without the humpback. I also hope the current Maybach won't cause problems in the production of the W221 seeing how it could possibly be outdated by 2006.

DOMINIC
Old 07-02-2003, 12:28 PM

996 Turbo
There are two Maybachs on e-bay for those interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6315

One is already going for a 100K+ premium. The other has no bids with a 150-200K premium.

I thought all the reviewers said the Maybach is more of a drivers car?

I'm not sure how the looks of each car will play out. While the Rolls certainly has a lot more road presence I'm not sure if thats what customers will ask for. If you take a look at the last generation Bentleys and RR both those cars had very sleek profiles and definetly not a "LOOK AT ME" profile.

I guess we'll see what happens a year from now. I have seen one RR in real and its massive bit too much for me. I prefer the sleeker look of the Maybach and thats what a lot of polls have turned up as well.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by FInality

One is already going for a 100K+ premium. The other has no bids with a 150-200K premium.

I thought all the reviewers said the Maybach is more of a drivers car?

I'm not sure how the looks of each car will play out. While the Rolls certainly has a lot more road presence I'm not sure if thats what customers will ask for. If you take a look at the last generation Bentleys and RR both those cars had very sleek profiles and definetly not a "LOOK AT ME" profile.

I guess we'll see what happens a year from now. I have seen one RR in real and its massive bit too much for me. I prefer the sleeker look of the Maybach and thats what a lot of polls have turned up as well.
Wow, both cars on Ebay are beautiful. They are unique in their own way and I'm sure that they will sell at the end of the auction. I love the two tone on the Silver one and all the pictures that are provided. I wonder who will be the lucky buyer
Old 07-08-2003, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
wow, those two on ebay are very nice. But I still think I'd take the RR Phantom over the Maybach.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM

C280
Originally posted by FInality

In this link, is that Charlton Heston in the back seat ?

Here is the pic, it might not work though.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...8894/i-9_B.JPG

Why is he selling his nice car ! NRA not paying enough...

Good looking car, but I think an s500 with the limo package has more room. Looks kind of cramped, big deal, you get a tray...what is this, air tran ? They should put the MB emblem on front.

Can't wait to see it in person, though.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe the Maybach, especially the 57 is more about the technological advances over their competitors rather than the size difference...
But if your looking for more space the 62 definitely has more than enough room.

Originally posted by C280Sportster

Good looking car, but I think an s500 with the limo package has more room. Looks kind of cramped, big deal, you get a tray...what is this, air tran ? They should put the MB emblem on front.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:33 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by C280Sportster

The 57 is a lot bigger than an S class especially on the interior. If by limo package you mean Pullman then thats different story....

The Maybach is easily the worlds most luxurious car even with the other competitors out there.