Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Barrichello wins the Grand Prix of Hungary

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2002 | 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Barrichello wins the Grand Prix of Hungary

All in all, it was a pretty boring race without much action. Despite the poor qualification on the part of both McLarens, Kimi Raikonnen managed a respectable 4th place finish.

Due to the Ferrari one two finish, they were able to clinch the 2002 Constructors Championship for Ferrari. Ralf Schumacher placed third place, more than 17 seconds behind both Ferraris followed by Raikonnen in fourth who was over 20 seconds behind Ralf.

The most action this race saw was when Kimi Raikonnen made his move on JP Montoya which was a battle until Montoya was forced off the track and suffered damage.

RB earned the win, although if McLaren had done a better job in qualifying, I have no doubt at all that KR or DC would have won this race. McLaren had an outstanding race, both DC and KR kept on repeatedly setting the fastest times for the first and second sectors aswell as the fastest laps, not to mention there swift pit stop times. Nomatter how much the McLarens tried, they could not break the 30+ second lead of the Ferraris.

The trophy was pretty cool .

Belguim will be a much more interesting race.
Old 08-18-2002 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
LMAO! In the press conference, the first thing Ralf said was that it was extremely boring! He did have a 20 second lead on Kimi, and was down 17 seconds from the Ferraris, so he was very lonely.
Old 08-18-2002 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
lol heard that..
But im still a little satisfied with Mclaren's results considering their qualification results.

I just hope they do better next time..

And DC!! Get his butt to drive well..
Old 08-18-2002 | 12:43 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Re: Barrichello wins the Grand Prix of Hungary

Originally posted by Accord
All in all, it was a pretty boring race without much action. Despite the poor qualification on the part of both McLarens, Kimi Raikonnen managed a respectable 4th place finish.

Due to the Ferrari one two finish, they were able to clinch the 2002 Constructors Championship for Ferrari. Ralf Schumacher placed third place, more than 17 seconds behind both Ferraris followed by Raikonnen in fourth who was over 20 seconds behind Ralf.

The most action this race saw was when Kimi Raikonnen made his move on JP Montoya which was a battle until Montoya was forced off the track and suffered damage.

RB earned the win, although if McLaren had done a better job in qualifying, I have no doubt at all that KR or DC would have won this race. McLaren had an outstanding race, both DC and KR kept on repeatedly setting the fastest times for the first and second sectors aswell as the fastest laps, not to mention there swift pit stop times. Nomatter how much the McLarens tried, they could not break the 30+ second lead of the Ferraris.

The trophy was pretty cool .

Belguim will be a much more interesting race.
The final race results are:
2002 Hungarian Grand Prix race results

1 BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1h41m49.001s
2 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari +0.434s
3 R.SCHUMACHER Williams BMW +13.355s
4 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes +29.479s
5 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes +37.800s
6 FISICHELLA Jordan Honda +1m08.804s
7 MASSA Sauber Petronas +1m13.612s
8 TRULLI Renault +1 lap
9 HEIDFELD Sauber Petronas +1 lap
10 SATO Jordan Honda +1 lap
11 MONTOYA Williams BMW +1 lap
12 PANIS BAR Honda +1 lap
13 DE LA ROSA Jaguar +2 laps
14 MCNISH Toyota +2 laps
15 SALO Toyota +2 laps(+25s penalty)
16 WEBBER Minardi Asiatech +2 laps
17 DAVIDSON Minardi Asiatech +19 laps
18 BUTTON Renault +47 laps
19 IRVINE Jaguar +54 laps
20 VILLENEUVE BAR Honda +57 laps

I don't think KR and DC would have done much better than third and fourth, for one the Ferraris were 2.5 sec a lap faster. Secondly, and possibly more important Ferraris were using Bridgestone. Again Michelin is screwing McLaren. Spa, the next race, is a fast track and should bear out how much better a package Ferrari has at the top end. Too bad DC is probably going to get in a mess of trouble considering his poorer performance and off road excursion. His time at McLaren may be numbered. Maybe Nick Heidfeld, a German, might fill DC's boots. Masa will be the guy to watchout for, considering his performance this year in the Sauber--hes got real talent, above and beyond JPM.
Old 08-19-2002 | 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I believe JPM suffered damage through a chicane, which slowed him slightly, allowing KR to get up beside him. JPM then left the track due to the lowered grip from the damage while still trying to challenge KR at speed through a near 90 degree corner.
Old 08-19-2002 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it was another boring race. I watched the last 20 laps at 2x speed on my VCR

Another toucj of excitment was a few of the pit exits into traffic. Both RB exits put him directly in front of MS. Anyone else think MS "gave" RB this win?
Old 08-19-2002 | 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Yes, it was another boring race. I watched the last 20 laps at 2x speed on my VCR

Another toucj of excitment was a few of the pit exits into traffic. Both RB exits put him directly in front of MS. Anyone else think MS "gave" RB this win?
I'll support u to it all the way!!
Old 08-19-2002 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Schumacher made it very apparent that he was letting RB win - his ego wouldn't allow for anything else. He set faster out-laps than RB - then noticably slowed between the start/finish and turn 1 to allow RB to retain the lead. He also set the fastest lap of the race is such a way to show RB that he could have easily kicked his butt if he had wanted.

Nice job by McLaren to make it to fourth and fifth - I agree with Goggles, third and forth was the best they would have done. I think they could have done it if they had qualified on the third row of the grid.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-19-2002 | 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MS definetly let RB win. It was so obvious, down the front straight MS would be right behind RB, and if he wanted to, could pass him at any time. MS was definetly faster.
Old 08-19-2002 | 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MS definetly let RB win. It was so obvious, down the front straight MS would be right behind RB, and if he wanted to, could pass him at any time.
Which is yet another slap in the face of F1 as a "sport" by the Ferrari team. You either try you best to win or you should just go home. Perhaps Michael should sit out the rest of the year if he doesn't intend to try to win.
Old 08-21-2002 | 01:03 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
There have been races where RB clearly kicked MS's butt... Austria, for one. But, yes, I agree that Hungary was a gift from MS.

When, oh when, are they gonna stop racing at that poor excuse of a track?