Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing
Singapore - at night with possible rain! >

Singapore - at night with possible rain!

Notices
Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Singapore - at night with possible rain!

 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Singapore - at night with possible rain!

Oh man...I can't wait to see this race. They are saying that that rain will be likely - I wonder how far race control would go before red flagging the race.

In any event, I'll make an early prediction that LH will take this race unless Ferrari qualifies 1-2. It's pretty clear that KR will be helping FM.

Last edited by itcrashed; 09-19-2008 at 02:13 PM.
itcrashed is offline  
Old 09-19-2008, 03:37 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Saprissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9,499
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
don't you mean Singapore ??

the Malaysian Grand Prix was back in March...
Saprissa is offline  
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Marshall_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Ferrari troubled in the rain

I think that Ferrari will be scrambling for the right setup. This track will not be ood for them. Night + rain will mean lots of extra camber and wing for them to get heat in the tires. I hope Singapore has a couple of good straights that the Mclaren can strech its legs on since that will be where LH/HK can make serious time on the Ferrari's.
Marshall_K is offline  
Old 09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Originally Posted by Saprissa View Post
don't you mean Singapore ??

the Malaysian Grand Prix was back in March...
ur right...my bad...i meant singapore
itcrashed is offline  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 PM
  #5  
Admin Alumni
 
MB-BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,143
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
See Garage
Thread title changed... You're welcome...

I just watched the qualifying sessions, my first time to see this track and the lighting.

My conclusion: Mickey Mouse lighting gimic for a Mickey Mouse Track.

Please bring back Imola... please.
MB-BOB is offline  
Old 09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa, Johnannesburg
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beautiful track, much better than the dreary boring tracks we have been seeing.
Walla is offline  
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BMWEATR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: strip bar in Oregon
Posts: 1,671
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
The track looks sic and the cars look sic at night w/ the lights and city lights, but the track sucks. its 1 line follow the leader. i hope L.H can get that little biaaaatch massa at the start.
BMWEATR is offline  
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sindelfingen
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Lewis! 3.!!

Ferrrari
Stuttgart-UT is offline  
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
  #9  
Admin Alumni
 
MB-BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,143
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by Walla View Post
beautiful track, much better than the dreary boring tracks we have been seeing.
Let's review...

Today's race -- IN THE DRY -- took 1:57:16 to finish, less than 3 minutes short of the 2-hour maximum. This included two short Safety Car periods. One should expect SC periods with concrete wall lined tracks. There are almost no runoff areas, hence no margin for driver error. And once the inevitable accidents occur, there are few and far between access gates through the barrier walls for marshals to remove trashed cars in a timely manner. Get used to seeing mutliple Safety Cars at Singapore.

All concerned said it was amazing today's race had no rain, as Singapore at this time of year is usually wet. Past history with temporary street courses under rain have shown that concrete walls do not allow breezes to dry out a wet racing circuit. Some of you don't like rules dictating the results of a race, but imagine future GPs here. Should a drop of rain fall on any future Singapore GP, it will have ZERO chance to finish under the 2-hour time limit in it's current 23-turn configuration.

David Hobbs says the turn 10 chicane is "ridiculous." I couldn't agree more. This chicane must be eliminated. The simple mid-speed left hander that results might raise lap speeds enough to permit a race to finish on time. Eliminate other corners while you are at it. A 3-mile course with 23 corners is too long/complicated to allow any passing... there was more action in pit lane today.

The narrow tunnel running underneath the grandstands is ludicrous. Imagine fan debris falling (or being thrown) on the track, or worse, driving through two huge waterfalls every lap when it rains?

And speaking of racing in the rain. Nighttime lighting when dry appears to be fine, but when it rains, the plumes of water spray, trapped between the walls, will render the artificial light useless, either for driving or spectating. Expect red flags in most future Singapore GPs when it rains.

F1 is eliminating European race venues that are "geographically too close together," to establish a worldwide footprint. Or that's the excuse to counter the argument that it's about money instead. Yet, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (an established track) are barely 196 miles apart, which paints the strategy as mildly hypocritical, at minimum.
Attached Thumbnails Singapore - at night with possible rain!-distance.jpg  
MB-BOB is offline  
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BMWEATR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: strip bar in Oregon
Posts: 1,671
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by Stuttgart-UT View Post
Lewis! 3.!!

Ferrrari
x2


weird race but liked the outcome. I have a question?

MONACO under the lights???? what do you guys think?
BMWEATR is offline  
Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Gullwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 624
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by MB-BOB View Post
Let's review...

David Hobbs says the turn 10 chicane is "ridiculous." I couldn't agree more. This chicane must be eliminated. The simple mid-speed left hander that results might raise lap speeds enough to permit a race to finish on time. Eliminate other corners while you are at it. A 3-mile course with 23 corners is too long/complicated to allow any passing... there was more action in pit lane today.

The narrow tunnel running underneath the grandstands is ludicrous. Imagine fan debris falling (or being thrown) on the track, or worse, driving through two huge waterfalls every lap when it rains?

And speaking of racing in the rain. Nighttime lighting when dry appears to be fine, but when it rains, the plumes of water spray, trapped between the walls, will render the artificial light useless, either for driving or spectating. Expect red flags in most future Singapore GPs when it rains.

F1 is eliminating European race venues that are "geographically too close together," to establish a worldwide footprint. Or that's the excuse to counter the argument that it's about money instead. Yet, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (an established track) are barely 196 miles apart, which paints the strategy as mildly hypocritical, at minimum.
Waterfalls would be cool, but I don't think the drivers would care for it, maybe while they are at it just add a small lake?
No visibility could make for a fun race.

Max and Bernie are just trying to make as much money as they can, if they could make more money having 8 races in Somalia they would do that.

Only on corner on the track allowed for passing I think, turn ten should be fixed.
Gullwing is offline  
Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 PM
  #12  
Member
 
hakaida442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
FIArrari got what they deserved for the spa BS. Hammy will win the WDC.
hakaida442 is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Gullwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 624
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Gullwing is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
  #14  
Super Moderator
 
Nola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 7,061
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Bob, you're crazy. This race was nothing short of amazing... plus The Donkey took it!

Fan debris? This is Singapore, not Indy! you can't even chew gum!
Nola is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
SeaCoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I thought it was great! Okay, bad of me to say, but this was Ferrari getting Karma's heavy handed B*tch slap.

While I don't want to ever see a driver or crewman hurt, I KNEW, it was over after the fuel hose incident.

Hamilton is showing fine execution with regard to an eye on the Driver's Championship.

Kova is becoming a point of disappointment to me. I want Pedro De La Rosa back!

Did it allude us all the now McLaren is in the lead for the Constructors Championship?! Come on now men, hoist a large one to the boys.

E
SeaCoupe is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
SeaCoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by Nola View Post
Bob, you're crazy. This race was nothing short of amazing... plus The Donkey took it!

Fan debris? This is Singapore, not Indy! you can't even chew gum!
Having been to Singapore and Indy, I have to agree.

At Indy you park on peoples lawns for crying out loud. Somehow you rationalize giving your keys to a redneck with a tall boy wrapped in a koozie, your car. Then watch as he squeezes as many cars as he can on the lawn. Impressive but scary. Only place I have seen fans throw stuff on the track. However this was during the Michelin Debacle.

E
SeaCoupe is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BMWEATR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: strip bar in Oregon
Posts: 1,671
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
singapore vid

gotta love youtube!

massa "eat it!" karma F-car fans! Karma is a *****!


BMWEATR is offline  
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
EdoubleNickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nyc
Posts: 350
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
Ferrari got was coming to them.


http://scouseknight.com/f1player.aspx

EdoubleNickel is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM
  #19  
Super Moderator
 
Nola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 7,061
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife View Post
However this was during the Michelin Debacle.

E
Hey, i was there that day too!
Nola is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Saprissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9,499
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel View Post
Ferrari got was coming to them.
E55,
that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw Kimi kissing the wall, and Massa pulling a tampon string !

Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
now that's some funny ***** complete with the Benny Hill soundtrack !!!

must render a salute:

Saprissa is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Saprissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9,499
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife View Post
Okay, bad of me to say, but this was Ferrari getting Karma's heavy handed B*tch slap.
nope, not bad to say !
Karma's always a B*tch and can't say Ferrari didn't have it coming to them !

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Kova is becoming a point of disappointment to me. I want Pedro De La Rosa back!
It has always eluded me why Pedro De La Rosa didn't take over for Kimi, Coulthard, or Alonso when they left McLaren.
Pedro seemed to have faster lap times during testing and practices than all 3 of those on a regular basis. Sure it wasn't a race... but give the boy a chance !! He did fill-in for one race, I can't remember which, but I do remember he actually did pretty well.

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Did it allude us all the now McLaren is in the lead for the Constructors Championship?! Come on now men, hoist a large one to the boys.
a Singapore chin chin

Carlos

[email protected]
Saprissa is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Saprissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9,499
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Talking

Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
now that is ridiculously funny !

so much so... that I have to see it again...








Last edited by Saprissa; 10-01-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Saprissa is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 AM
  #23  
Super Moderator
 
Nola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 7,061
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by MB-BOB View Post
Let's review...

Today's race -- IN THE DRY -- took 1:57:16 to finish, less than 3 minutes short of the 2-hour maximum. This included two short Safety Car periods. One should expect SC periods with concrete wall lined tracks. There are almost no runoff areas, hence no margin for driver error. And once the inevitable accidents occur, there are few and far between access gates through the barrier walls for marshals to remove trashed cars in a timely manner. Get used to seeing mutliple Safety Cars at Singapore.

All concerned said it was amazing today's race had no rain, as Singapore at this time of year is usually wet. Past history with temporary street courses under rain have shown that concrete walls do not allow breezes to dry out a wet racing circuit. Some of you don't like rules dictating the results of a race, but imagine future GPs here. Should a drop of rain fall on any future Singapore GP, it will have ZERO chance to finish under the 2-hour time limit in it's current 23-turn configuration.
I think they will simply run less laps next year to get this closer to 90 minutes.
Nola is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
tthoang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
I was in Singapore prior to the race and took some HD footage. Hope you enjoy. LH FTW!

http://www.vimeo.com/1836068
tthoang1 is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM
  #25  
Admin Alumni
 
MB-BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,143
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by Nola View Post
I think they will simply run less laps next year to get this closer to 90 minutes.
FIA sporting regulations require an F1 race of 300km racing distance plus one lap for formation (305km+). The length of each lap (in Singapore's case 4.99km/3.1 mi) is divided into the required distance to determine the number of laps that must be run. That's why Singapore was 61 laps.

Others:
Melbourne is 5.303km > 58 laps
Montreal is 4.361km > 70 laps
Silverstone is 5.141km > 60 laps
Valencia is 5.473km > 56 laps
Spa is 7.004km > 44 laps

etc.

All races measure 305km or more, except Monaco, which for some strange reason is allowed 260.5km (3.340km each lap X 78 laps). I guess it's "Grandfathered" because of tradition. Not sure that a brand new "modern" track should get equal consideration.
MB-BOB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Singapore - at night with possible rain!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: