Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD changer and burned CDs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD changer and burned CDs

My CD changer in my 05 C coupe has been having a number of intermittent playback issues pretty much since I bought it in January, and it looks like the problem is that the magazine doesn't always seat right. It happens to me no matter what type of CDs I put into it, burned or purchased. However, when I took it to the dealership (Stead Motors in Walnut Creek--a bunch of sleazy douche bags), they refused to replace it stating the problem was that I had burned CDs in it, and Mercedes can't play burned CDs. Ignoring the whole issue that I told them it happens with regular CDs and all, has anyone ever heard that the MB CD changer doesn't play burned CDs? That seems like pure BS to me.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by josha
My CD changer in my 05 C coupe has been having a number of intermittent playback issues pretty much since I bought it in January, and it looks like the problem is that the magazine doesn't always seat right. It happens to me no matter what type of CDs I put into it, burned or purchased. However, when I took it to the dealership (Stead Motors in Walnut Creek--a bunch of sleazy douche bags), they refused to replace it stating the problem was that I had burned CDs in it, and Mercedes can't play burned CDs. Ignoring the whole issue that I told them it happens with regular CDs and all, has anyone ever heard that the MB CD changer doesn't play burned CDs? That seems like pure BS to me.
That's a common cop-out that is actually endorsed by MBAG. In some cases it is true, that some burned CDs are inferior quality and writing on the top can cause problems. In most cases, the burned CD has no bearing on any problems that occur.

Take the car back somewhere else with a magazine full of original CDs or with only one CD in it.

-s-
Old 03-05-2005, 01:56 AM

Ah, it's amazing what a phone call to the dealership general manager can do. They replaced the CD changer, and after listening to 2 people tell me that they still think the drive was ok, as soon as I turned on the car and selected the CDC, it played burned CDs just fine (and has continued to do so).
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 PM

CLK320
There are two issues with burned CD's:
1) The marker ink transfers to the rollers, mucking them up, and
2) With the sticker type labels, the glue dries out, the label separates and gets chewed into a million pieces and evenly distributed throughout the inside of the changer.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:30 AM

I'd heard there can be issues with labels and custom CDs--I actually don't label any CDs I burn. I just mark the cases I put them into. Thanks for posting the info, though!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bryanm
There are two issues with burned CD's:
1) The marker ink transfers to the rollers, mucking them up, and
2) With the sticker type labels, the glue dries out, the label separates and gets chewed into a million pieces and evenly distributed throughout the inside of the changer.
If you read the Mercedes documents, you'll recall that the main issue is with the varying thickness of discs and how most of the cheaply manufactured discs are not in spec. The ink transferring to eject rollers is a very real issue though. But that issue occurs with original audio discs as well, at least in my case; an old habit from my DJ days is to write my name on all my vinyl labels, which I now do for my CDs as well (whereas on burned CDs I almost never write anything...). Since ejection rollers are only on slot-loading drives/changers, the cartridge loaded changers aren't subject to that issue.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 03-06-2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 AM

CLK320
Originally Posted by scorchie
If you read the Mercedes documents, you'll recall that the main issue is with the varying thickness of discs
It has been a little while since I read the document - thanks for adding that point to the list.

I just noticed on your signature that you have 63 door dings on your list of modifications - I don't have any and I'm thinking of getting some, can you suggest a good shop?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bryanm
I just noticed on your signature that you have 63 door dings on your list of modifications - I don't have any and I'm thinking of getting some, can you suggest a good shop?
I usually get them downtown in San Francisco. I am sure Toronto has just as good a place to go! I actually got a new one the other day, and I will update my signature after I pass 300KKm this week.

-s-
Old 03-08-2005, 09:29 AM

CLK320
Originally Posted by scorchie
I usually get them downtown in San Francisco...
I'll have to try a few new parking lots, so far I haven't been able to get any.

Back to the topic - another problem with CDs of all types, non-circular labels (e.g. mailing labels) thowing the CD off balance when it spins, causing wobble.