Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 Catalytic Converter gone at 88K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E320 Catalytic Converter gone at 88K miles

I was just informed by my dealer that I need a new driver's side cat converter, $575 for parts/$323 for labor, etc . I am at approximately 88300 miles. I know replacement is offered up to 80000 mi, but doesn't help me. I was told by another forum that MB is doing a recall on cat converters starting with M-class. Here is their post:

"THE CATALYTIC CONVERTORS ARE ON RECALL. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE GOTTEN A LETTTER YET BECAUSE MERCEDES IS SHORT ON PARTS. THEY ARE STARTING WITH THE M-CLASS FIRST I BELIEVE
I SUGGEST YOU CALL MERCEDES FIRST. GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER PARTS OR INFO DON'T HESITATE TO CALL US".

This is from an authorized MB repair facility/reseller. Anybody out there know anything about this? I'm right now.

Also does anyone know where to get a good replacement cat converter cheaper than $575?

Thanx to any any all helpers!!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
yeah go here www.car-stuff.com/catalytic/years.php?...
Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Malik3444
Also does anyone know where to get a good replacement cat converter cheaper than $575?

Thanx to any any all helpers!!
try this : www.speedmbparts.com
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Question Still checking on a MB Catalytic Coverter Recall

Still wondering if anyone has heard of a recall for Mb Cat Coverters I'm really curious about this as I am over 80K miles and can't get the free replacement.

Also, when you replace the Cat Converter is there an engine sensor that MUST be replaced at the same time? If so can anyone tell me what the name of the sensor is?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
There is no sensor that must be replaced, but many shops will require that the O2 sensor(s) be replaced. A bad O2 sensor can cause the car t run rich at idle and cruise, which will kill the cat.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

The recall for the ML is for a different problem than the E-class cars usually have. Let me guess,there is a rattle coming from underneath the vehicle? The ML recall is for a faulty forward weld on the front catalyst body. The weld can crack and leak untreated exhaust into the atmosphere. Alot of the other vehicles have problems with the monolith material disintegrating or detaching from the body of the cat,eventually causing a rattling noise. The warranty period for the S-class cats has been extended due to this complaint.In the future its probably safe to say that the same will happen for other cars fitted with 112/113 engines.But as of now your probably going to have to pay for them. However you can be reimbursed if MB does eventually extend the warranty. Another option is to discuss with the service manager that you are aware of the numerous problems with cats and would like something in return-like dealership pays for parts,you pay for labor. The O2 sensor DOES NOT need to be replaced unless this in a reoccuring problem or if the sensor is corroded into place and damaged during removal(very rare). Good luck!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 AM

2015 E350 4matic Sport and 2011 C300 4matic sport
Cat

I just took my E320 to my friendly mechanic with severe rattle under the car when it would warm up. He just called to tell me to come pick up the car and take it to MB dealer. The car has 38,000 miles and he said the cats (both) were gone and covered by the 80,000 mile federal warrenty. I made an appointment for Friday at the local MB dealer and will see what they say. I am also hopeful they will replace the Harmonic Balancer at the same time if need be. Nice mechanic, said he could do the job, but it should all be covered by MB. I bought the car used with 33,000 miles on it.